TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Fisker Karma

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by vfx, Oct 15, 2007.

Tags:
  1. jcstp

jcstp Active Member

2. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

They're just a fail in general...

Why would another automaker buy them? Got the funds to make a half-arsed attempt at a green car from random components and will now need to exit because of soft demand.

3. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Just glad the election is over.

4. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

The mods will probably move this because it's veering off-topic, but some veterans here probably have some good insight so I'll ask.

Hypothetical:
    If Fisker's focus was on pure EV (rather than Hybrid, or "EREV" as they like to call it to sound high end) and he had some juice left to spend, would Elon "look past the past" and help them out in the name of his general EV mission? It would be an impressive show of character.

5. Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill Active Member

I doubt it. The best thing Elon can do for EV adoption is to focus on Tesla. Get gen 3 out there as soon as possible.

6. mattjs33

mattjs33 Member

I don't get the impression that Elon is that into "shows of character". Just see his past comments on the Karma. He's pretty outspoken on the things he feels strongly about. Just my opinion.

The whole irony in the Fisker story is that the car is not bad looking and would be impressive if it worked better. Put a V8 in the thing and I'll bet it would sell like crazy. But (I still believe this) Henrik had to make it at least partly electric in order to get his hands on some cheap government money. Starting a car company is fantastically expensive, and he needed that money to get Fisker over the hump. He simply wasn't wealthy enough; Venture capital was only going to take him so far, and he had no strategic partner(s). As evidence that I'm right, just look at what's happened since the government loan was frozen.

7. medved

medved Member

I meant more the end of Aptera. Maybe I should use DeLorean instead.

8. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Help them out?

You mean like Mercedes and Toyota?

Fisker and it's backers come to Tesla hat in hand and ask for Tesla's powertrain for their next model and Tesla says yes. It is aprt of Tesla's mission to make all cars electric.

As for the parnership, I see it as a win-win. Fisker sells over the top looking cars and they have the best drivetrain on the market, and Tesla looks mature and makes money selling powertrains.

9. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I don't think it was just about government money. I think they needed the angle to interest investors, period. "Just another pretty car" isn't a big enough hook. "Green cars for the wealthy" sounds like it might attract funding.

10. mattjs33

mattjs33 Member

Probably a bit of that too.

11. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

As trying year wraps up, Fisker searches for lifeline Cleantech News and Analysis

12. Quacker

Quacker Member

#1872 Quacker, Dec 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    The fisker karma was just featured on a jay leno episode, here it is:

2012 Fisker Karma - Jay Lenos Garage - YouTube

Toward the end fisker said a few hundred have been sold so far, and that it had only been out for a few months. I thought deliveries started in July of last year?

13. PRJIM

PRJIM Member

This is an old video posted several months ago

14. Quacker

Quacker Member

I wonder why it was reposted then.

15. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

"I am not a fan of a pure electric car, because to me it is the range anxiety thing.." - Leno (14:00)

16. doug

They used to all be on their own website, but I think recently started also posting to youtube. I think now they've started posting old episodes to youtube as well. That Karma episode was originally posted mid January 2012.
    Jay Leno's Garage - 2012 Fisker Karma | Fisker

It's interesting to see this episode again in retrospect. This was when regular customers were just getting their cars and before all the bad press about the bugs, fires, and poor UI.

17. doug

Fisker won't restart production until A123 sale clears - Automotive News

18. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

That is not good news for them. I wonder about the 300 cars they lost in the hurricane too (were those going dealers to sit on a lot or owners?).

19. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

That sums up their problems right there. There innovation was ... I have a really cool looking car. That's it.

20. Jaff

Jaff Active Member