Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fisker Karma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just don't see the point of this vehicle. Why would I spend $89,000 for something that still has an ICE?

This is basically just a car that gets a high average MPG. It is still a gasoline vehicle.

The Toyota Prius with the Hymotion plug-in kit does the same thing. I have driven mine for 5,000 miles now and the novelty has definitely worn off.

I want to go pure electric. I want to dump the ICE completely. At first I was excited about driving a Hymotion Prius and getting the first 25 to 30 miles from the lithium-ion battery pack.

But now I am just over it. That doesn't cut it. With the experience of having had it for six months now, I can say that most people won't really be impressed. It sounds good on paper (100+ MPG !!!) but the reality is that it is still a gas vehicle.

The same goes for the Volt and the Fisker Karma.

I've always thought so too. It just seems as though you're getting the worst of both worlds, doing nothing groundbreaking, continuing to fuel (get it?) the need for ICEs, OPEC, etc. and plus the fisker is so expensive for a glorified Plug in Prius.

At least the Tesla was truly innovative for an expensive sports car.

I really wish the 'range anxiety' nonsense would go away. How hard is it to rent a car (or leave a day earlier) for the two times you visit your grandma 1000 miles away? In a few years EVs will probably get better mileage than ICEs anyway...:rolleyes:

ok... off soap box now. </internet rage>

Seriously tho... the main appeal of pure EVs to me is my irrational fear of zombie apocalypses. When infrastructure collapses, I'll still have my off-grid solar PV to power my car!!:biggrin:

I don't see good for Fisker as bad for Tesla.

I'm sure the Model S has got a lot of investors looking at the company again in way we don't know about yet. Not to mention Tesla is probably hard at work on the Fed loan.

I also believe that Tesla saying outloud that getting funding has been difficult is tied to justifiying the recent price gouging on Roadsters after #214.

Overall the news is good for the EV industry.

I don't see good for Fisker as bad for Tesla.

I'm sure the Model S has got a lot of investors looking at the company again in way we don't know about yet. Not to mention Tesla is probably hard at work on the Fed loan.

I also believe that Tesla saying outloud that getting funding has been difficult is tied to justifiying the recent price gouging on Roadsters after #214.

Overall the news is good for the EV industry.

The VCs are great, but what is the end game? Is it in volume? The IPO? Closely held? Really, does anyone here know the promise of the VCs throwing the money in?

Seriously tho... the main appeal of pure EVs to me is my irrational fear of zombie apocalypses. When infrastructure collapses, I'll still have my off-grid solar PV to power my car!!:biggrin:

Well here's something new to worry about... When an EMP hits and takes everything out, the old chug chugs that don't rely on computers will still be chugging along

...then again... prolly not :D

This is a case of an overzealous editor re-writing a headline to make it provocative (the original headline, which remains on my blog, is "Follow the money to Fisker"). My article is very balanced and objective in my opinion. I asked Business Insider to change the headline and they did. I let people re-syndicate my blog posts as long as they provide attribution, and my content is always original and unpaid.

Bottom line is that getting $85M in this environment without having a car on the road yet is indeed notable. With Tesla and Fisker in essentially the same market (albeit with different technological approaches) it raises the obvious question.

From the perspective of the sector in general, it is indeed good news.

FYI the original article is at Darryl Siry's Blog

I noticed from the articles that Fisker has 1,300 deposits at $5,000 each.
They have been taking deposits for a long time.

Don't you find it interesting that the Tesla Model S sedan is likely to catch up and pass Fisker within a matter of weeks? I suspect Tesla is already over 700 or 800 orders.

Each has the same $5,000 deposit so it is fair method to keep score.
The costs for each are reasonably close. $57,400 vs $87,900.
Each company wants to produce about 15,000 to 20,000 per year.

I am very interested in seeing how many $5,000 deposits Fisker and Tesla receive for the rest of 2009. Since they are both going after the same customers, it will be interesting to see what customers prefer. EV or PHEV.

OK, $30,000 is a lot of money. :)

But I think we all know that the $57,400 price from Tesla is actually closer to $65,000 to $70,000 once you get the real options installed.

The Roadster is quoted at $109,000 but it is really $112,000 with the HPC. It you want any real option it is likely over $120,000 before you are done.
1) HPC $3,000
2) Electronics Group $3,000
3) Metallic Paint $1,000
4) Premium Seats $1,800
Etc

The Fisker Karma might be the same way and actually cost $100,000.

If Tesla had 3x more deposits than Fisker (Model S vs Fisker Karma) by the end of 2009, it will be quite the statement by customers as to what they prefer. In terms of luxury, they are both going after the high end market. So will customers be comfortable with a pure EV 160 miles? Or will they prefer the crutch of the gas engine for extended range? Will they be willing to pay the extra $30,000 for a Fisker?

I doubt it. I think Tesla will have a lot more $5,000 deposits.