Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fisker Karma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find it interesting how Fisker is still able to pretend the Fisker Karma is competing against the Roadster. Especially considering the Sports edition it seems pretty clear that Tesla is moving the Roadster further and further away from the Karma and more towards the Ferrari end of the market.

The Model S on the other hand... Comparing the two, exactly what metric is the Karma better than the Model S? I can only come up with 2, long-range highway cruising and availibility. Until they actually start producing in the Finnish factory I wouldn't hold my breath on the last one either. For the people wanting the oil-independance/enviromental benefits the Volt IS hugely undercutting the Karma on price.

It might of course just be me that don't really like the Karma :)

Cobos

Sure, hence my point why buy the Karma?
The BMW Model 7 costs the same has better performance and has more interior room, but doesn't look as sporty. It'll probably be just as good a drivers car as the Karma. That gets you the same luxury, higher tech but worse fuel economy.

Looking at the Solstice which the Karma has sourced it's engine from at 2976lbs it has 19/28mpg so not very good fuel economy when the 50 miles electric range is expended. That assumes you are not driving in sports mode in which case your emmisions start as soon as you start the car.

Now throw in the Lexus GS Hybrid. Should give you the luxury of a large sedan, with it's 22/25mpg rating it's similar but slightly worse in the eco-department. Though it has better performance and half the price even though it's design isn't exactly exciting.

The Jaguar XF though looks better than those above and IMHO than the Karma and has luxury and good performance, but then you sacrifice the eco-friendlyness.

And it has to be said that anyone buying a car for $80-90k shouldn't really care about fuel prices as long as they stay below $10/gallon. So they must beleive in the eco-image of the car or like the design. I find the design good from some angles and very wrong from others (just like the Porsche Panamera). So I still would like to see what demographic they are aiming for? If we assume the Fisker Karma can't generate a whole now type of car buyer, there has to be some cars they compete with and where they get the buyer to buy the Karma and not that other car. Except those that love the design I can't see who that is, and reading around on the net, not many say they LIKE the design.

Cobos

Last edited:
The Model S on the other hand... Comparing the two, exactly what metric is the Karma better than the Model S? I can only come up with 2, long-range highway cruising and availibility.

It might of course just be me that don't really like the Karma :)

Cobos

Cobos, I think you nailed it with availabilty... I think Fisker is toast if they don't hit the market soon. It is a cool looking car, I admit, but for the price, I think I may just opt for a Volt AND Model S, you know?

Fisker gives Quantum $10.2 million contract for powertrain development

Fisker and Quantum have just signed a $10.2 million deal to cover the next phase of development for the powertrain. This Phase III development will cover the production validation of the Karma drivetrain. Valmet will start building final pre-production versions of the Karma late this year and customer vehicles by the middle of next year.

This final validation will include hot and cold weather, high altitude and durability testing. The powertrain consists of a lithium ion battery pack with a 50-mile range, electric drive motors and a turbocharged and direct injected GM EcoTec four cylinder that acts as a range extender.

Ah yes a drive but still no rides after what I read. A significant difference, I might add that Tesla has offered rides in a prototype Model S already...

Cobos

Exactly. The Roadster debut had two cars giving rides and they had the buck and the clay there.

At the Model S showing the same, the clay, a mynoc covered version, a rolling mockup and a working EV they gave rides in.

Giving rides in the Karma or Sunset is the best way to create much needed buzz. Though after reading about the way they are parting and building the car they may not have a fully working car much before they start deliveries.

Of course if they spent a lot of money...

How Do They Do It? : Fisker Karma

I just saw "How Do They Do It?" epsiode 604 on ScienceHD channel.
It had an in depth review of the upcoming Fisker Karma including a behind the scenes look at construction of the prototypes.

attachment.php?attachmentid=332&stc=1&d=1249760592.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=333&stc=1&d=1249760602.jpg

Attachments

• howkarma1.jpg
    howkarma1.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 253
  • howkarma2.jpg
    howkarma2.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 243
That's fantastic. Did you or anyone else happen to capture this episode?

Yeah, I have the whole thing saved in HD.
But, sorry - a still frame here or there is all I am willing to upload.
(Trying not to stray from "fair use").

SCIHD will probably repeat it... Watch their schedule site, and set your DVRs.