Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Fisker Ocean Way Cheaper Than Tesla Model Y"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Henrik Fisker, the designer behind cars like the BMW Z8 and the Fisker Karma, has struggled to keep a car company afloat in the past. But he’s trying again with the Fisker Ocean, a 250-mile range electric crossover with a price that steeply undercuts the upcoming Tesla Model Y.

zvqh33pxtjsjiq4ukysh.jpg

The 250-Mile Fisker Ocean Will Be Way Cheaper Than The Tesla Model Y

Henrik Fisker, the designer behind cars like the BMW Z8 and the Fisker Karma, has struggled to keep a car company afloat in the past. But he’s trying again with the Fisker Ocean, a 250-mile range electric crossover with a price that steeply undercuts the upcoming Tesla Model Y.
I have no clue what this author is talking about:

At first, the starting price is not too far off from the upcoming base Tesla Model Y—also a compact electric crossover—which starts at $39,000 before incentives with a range of 230 miles.
Base RWD Model Y is 300 Mile range and $48,000. It also include base Autopilot.
AWD is 280 mile range.

. But when you remember that Tesla has nearly used up all of its federal tax credit,
What credit does the author think Tesla still has?

Reactions: Brando
Given this guy's track record, I'll believe it when I see it in customer's hands. People are forgetting that starting a new car company from scratch is REALLY hard.

Now that Tesla is seemingly successful, no one remembers that it had at least three bonafide near death experiences. It took Tesla years and years to build out a minimally competent service and support infrastructure. How the heck is Fisker going to service all these cars? Partner with an existing dealer? If so, kiss your low cost car goodbye, your margins will be eaten up by warranty repair costs.

The OP suffers from wishful thinking,

We are finding out what the Tesla technology advantages really are now. Audi e-tron is terribly inefficient as is the Mini-Cooper. The Mercedes EV has limited its exposure to reviewers in the USA, but they aren’t selling well in Europe. The Porsche Taycan is very expensive but not very efficient motors.

I see Tesla’s serious advantages in; unified network access and control of car subsystems allowing over-the-air updating, autopilot and autopilot data, electric motors and to a lesser degree batteries and battery charging. Then there is the Supercharger and destination charger sites. Also the Gigafactories which allow frequent manufacturing updating and consistently improving quality control.

The traditional manufacturers are just beginning to understand how far behind Tesla they are today. The new manufacturers, Rivian, Fisker and Nio, have big learning curves just making the vehicles not to mention the software and user interfaces.

2020 will be an educational year for car manufacturers discovering the complex environment of Electric Vehicles. They can’t succeed with off-the-shelf components and third-party parts. They’ll have to invest in R&D and new designs of controlling software possibly replacing their entire supply chain.

and Tesla just keeps getting better and more advanced, moving the goal posts farther away from the competition.

Last edited:
And this will be available when?

2022, assuming no delays. They're estimating 1m in sales between 2022 and 2027. By the time this thing launches, Tesla could be selling Model 3's and Model Y's for much less.

Also Fisk's second round funding in Oct 2018 lead by Caterpillar Ventures won't keep them afloat through that ramp. Tesla will be miles ahead, VW will be a more serious contender by then too and I just can't see there being room for yet another startup. It's far more likely they'll get bought out.

Interested people should at least quickly scan wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henrik_Fisker
He is a great designer. Any way, check out above for an introduction.
Doesn't seem any of his startups have survived. Latest is Fisker, Inc. started in 2016 - present.

This time round, his latest twist, in my opinion, is his business model: Don't sell, just lease.

IBM built their empire leasing only. You didn't buy IBM software as it only worked on IBM hardware and you couldn't buy IBM hardware you could only lease it. Don't pay your monthly fee and it all went away. Interesting history. Anti-Monopoly laws & lawsuits finally changed that model and IBM had to adapt. Not to worry, they still make a ton of money. Can't imagine any government agency existing without IBM.

Electric cars lasting for a million miles one can see the idea of lease only. Even Musk considers this once he has solved the autonomous driving problem. Well, most of you know/read about the transport as service vs ownership models. 2 ton metal containers to move 200 lbs people for 4-6 times a day is obviously very very wasteful. But we have built a world wide auto industry making 80 million or more vehicles a year. (public transport is particularly poor in the US, right?)

Fisker has never built/created a viable company. Has he failed and learned enough to change this historical pattern? I don't know. I personally would not give him good odds. As you saw from Wikipedia he has won many, many awards. Does Wall St. love him?

Can he manage outsourcing to build his product from supply chain?
(Musk thinks catalog engineering a poor replacement for actual engineering. I agree.)

interesting times

side note:
What makes Tesla the best? - simple overview
Fisker vs Tesla - White Star
Maker of Electric Sports Car Sues a Competitor

Last edited: