Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fit and finish excuse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect that the large numbers of fit and finish problems with MY may be partly due to Elon wanting to crank out as many cars as possible to get his Q2 delivery figures up. Now that Q3 has arrived, I hope he will slow things down so he can get the fit and finish quality on the Y up to the usual Tesla standards.

Reactions: rxlawdude
Has anyone ever asked for the spec on this? It's hard for me to believe they can successfully get away with hiding behind "within spec" without telling anyone what the spec actually is.

I have a turbocharged Mitsubishi that was (still is) leaking a bit of gas into its oil. I took it in because the oil smelled like gas, and they agreed but that it was within spec. But, crucially, they told me the actual spec.

They said they could replace and paint the fender and repaint the door panel. I just worry about the match. It's MSM.

They have a stupid rule that you cannot order the same trim for 1yr if you return the car. Why should I am penalized for poor quality because of their rush to deliver. I think to force you to keep an inferior car.
That’s a bunch of BS, the guy at my delivery he got a white model Y and refused to take it due to issues he found, a week later he is standing next to me with another Modek Y. They need your money and quarter ending earnings.

Fred

Then his SC manager must be buddies with mine on the other side of the country because I heard the exact same words when i went to pick up my MY in June. "You are paying for the tech, not the fit and finish" and "Those other automakers have 60+years of experience, Tesla is still new and working on it"
I also got the same comment - nearly verbatim - from my delivery advisor in Vancouver, Canada when attempting to take delivery of a problematic Model 3. So it's not just coast to coast in the States but also up north in Canada that Tesla employees say the same thing, likely implying the same training.

Considering the fact that the plant was closed for half of Q2 and they still cranked out a pretty high volume of cars, I am just happy that my car has all of its parts ...! ;)

As for $60k perfect vs not ... where else will you get a vehicle with this engineering, drivetrain and performance ... anywhere? The way I see it we don't have a choice if we want the experience of owning/driving one of these. If you don't like it, go get a Nissan Leaf ... I'm sure the fit and finish is a bit better on those ... just tell me where you are so I can run circles around you on the freeway :)

I hear Tesla's service department is responsive, so I'm just planning to work with them until all of the notable issues with the car are resolved. Warranty expiration is a long way away.

-- John
When my car came in Oct 2018, I had issues that I wouldn't have accepted if I had better options. I wanted and waited for the car for so long and it came with runs in the paint work. It was alone on the EV scene especially at the price.