Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fit and finish improvement from 2014 to 2016?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am currently in a 2014 Model S and looking at a very low mileage inventory car from a SC in another state. I am in an area without a showroom, so it isn't easy for me to go test drive vehicles and compare. I love my Model S, but I have noticed areas that I hoped would have been able to been improved on. For example in my 2014 I still have quite a bit of wind noise which was improved but couldn't be fixed, as well as a lot of front motor whine, among other things. For those that have owned a prior year and new Model S have you really noted improvements in the fit and finish of the vehicle?

Thank you.

We have both an S85 2014 and the S90D 2017. I can tell you the biggest improvements are the seats,sunroof if you choose to get that, and overall I think it's a little bit better noise reduction. I also much prefer the Black alcantara roof lining because it doesn't capture as much dirt.

We are about to take a 2014 in for service for messed up sunroof rubber and motor wine and a few other little things like power steering seems very hard even in comfort.

The major difference I have noticed between my 2012 and 2017 is the higher shoulder belt mounting for driver and passenger.

Fit and finish of the 2017 is fine. Quieter interior sound levels on concrete freeways has been a pleasant surprise (19" wheels w/ Sunroof). IMHO, the many great improvements made to Model X were perfectly engineered to improve Model S. Our front doors have required more force to close and the chrome door trim needs a slight tweak to align perfectly. An appointment has been scheduled for service.

I am currently in a 2014 Model S and looking at a very low mileage inventory car from a SC in another state. I am in an area without a showroom, so it isn't easy for me to go test drive vehicles and compare. I love my Model S, but I have noticed areas that I hoped would have been able to been improved on. For example in my 2014 I still have quite a bit of wind noise which was improved but couldn't be fixed, as well as a lot of front motor whine, among other things. For those that have owned a prior year and new Model S have you really noted improvements in the fit and finish of the vehicle?

Thank you.

My 2016 refresh has very poor fit and finish. The lack of an effective QA/QC system is evident. Rattles are prevalent and wind noise is a problem. At highway speeds the car is noisier than my ICE cars. It also suffers from vibrations and handling issues, something that's not unique to my vehicle. Unstable steering at speeds around 80 mph

If you do get one, make sure you test drive it first before buying.

Reactions: gowthamn
I owned a 2015 Model S and was given 13 and 14 year S's as loaners when my car was in for service.
Nothing stuck out to me on the older models to indicate dramatic improvements in fit and finish. All shared (including my own) noticeable wind noise at 65 MPH which baffles me. My friends with S class coupes and sedans as well as other luxury vehicles do not have the buffeting noise the Model S has. I complained numerous times and was always told mine S was within tolerance.

I owned a 2015 Model S and was given 13 and 14 year S's as loaners when my car was in for service.
Nothing stuck out to me on the older models to indicate dramatic improvements in fit and finish. All shared (including my own) noticeable wind noise at 65 MPH which baffles me. My friends with S class coupes and sedans as well as other luxury vehicles do not have the buffeting noise the Model S has. I complained numerous times and was always told mine S was within tolerance.

The wind buffeting pressure issue is easy to fix at home. I had to do it with my '14 Model S as well, since the service center kept insisting that it was 'within tolerance'.

Just get 4 pieces of paper and put them on the 4 contact points (stops) that the liftgate rests on. Then close the liftgate and try to pull the papers out. If you can easily pull a piece of paper out, adjust the stops on the liftgate and then retry the paper test. Do this until all the papers are tightly clamped between the contact points and cannot be moved (without ripping the paper). Then you're all done!

In my case I was able to pull out a sheet of paper from one of the contacts points, it almost just slipped out. I adjusted the rubber stoppers and I completely fixed the issue. Let me know if you have any questions.

The wind buffeting pressure issue is easy to fix at home. I had to do it with my '14 Model S as well, since the service center kept insisting that it was 'within tolerance'.

Just get 4 pieces of paper and put them on the 4 contact points (stops) that the liftgate rests on. Then close the liftgate and try to pull the papers out. If you can easily pull a piece of paper out, adjust the stops on the liftgate and then retry the paper test. Do this until all the papers are tightly clamped between the contact points and cannot be moved (without ripping the paper). Then you're all done!

In my case I was able to pull out a sheet of paper from one of the contacts points, it almost just slipped out. I adjusted the rubber stoppers and I completely fixed the issue. Let me know if you have any questions.

Hey @DJung Great info! Thanks for the tip. I will try it out.

Reactions: DDotJ
I just had the pleasure of driving a new loaner 75D (assume it was a '17) with AP2. Compared that to my '15 P85D and I can say not much of a difference in terms of road noise. I noticed more of a difference when I switched from snows to summer tires.

The '17 cabin was nice and quiet, almost muted perhaps due to more sound-deadening but really it was very subtle. Materials, fit and finish were pretty much the same. I guess I was expecting a little more refinement over the 2 years but I couldn't notice. Mind you my '15 model has been very trouble-free for me so a sample size of two is hardly scientific.

I have a 2012 S85 and a 2015 P90DL. Fit and finish look darn near identical. The 2012 is notably quieter, even now that they have the same tires.

I don't think you can make any determinations by model year alone. There seems to be a fair bit of variation between cars.

Reactions: ig_epower
Any chance that this is due quietness of the cabin and therefore all external sounds are that much more noticeable?

Great question but I do not think so. It depends a bit what ICE car you're comparing the MS against. Most of my cars are performance cars with loud exhausts. I often notice in other people's cars how quiet it is in there. The wind noise is the main problem it sounds like a window is partially open. The Tesla has laughable door and window seals. You can actually stick your finger through a closed window.

Spot on, the quality and fit of the seals is comical. I constantly had to put the rubber seals that butt up to the headliner back in place and the ones at the bottoms of the rear doors too.

Keep in mind that weight plays a major role in what was chosen for materials on the S, the heavier the car is the less range you have.
No Tesla will ever have that rock solid clunk you get on a Mercedes or Bentley..... But you are getting 13 miles a gallon for all that "solidness".
The wind noise always bugged me, the S should not be as noisy as it but instant acceleration and the best tech will make you forgot about its short comings.

Great question but I do not think so. It depends a bit what ICE car you're comparing the MS against. Most of my cars are performance cars with loud exhausts. I often notice in other people's cars how quiet it is in there. The wind noise is the main problem it sounds like a window is partially open. The Tesla has laughable door and window seals. You can actually stick your finger through a closed window.

Reactions: oktane

Do you mind taking a picture of the 4 contact points your referring to? I'd like to perform this test.

My 2016 refresh has very poor fit and finish. The lack of an effective QA/QC system is evident. Rattles are prevalent and wind noise is a problem. At highway speeds the car is noisier than my ICE cars. It also suffers from vibrations and handling issues, something that's not unique to my vehicle. Unstable steering at speeds around 80 mph

If you do get one, make sure you test drive it first before buying.

Most common cause of instability at speed is toe-out on the rear wheels. Get Tesla to do an alignment on your car pronto, or your tires will be worn out very quickly.

Do you mind taking a picture of the 4 contact points your referring to? I'd like to perform this test.
Unfortunately I'm holed up working right now so I couldn't get pictures of my own car, but I found an image online and drew circles around the 4 contact points.

You can adjust the stoppers by twisting them.

sTZEQOk.gif

Sure, unfortunately I'm holed up working right now so I couldn't get pictures of my own car, but I found an image online and drew circles around the 4 contact points.

You can adjust the stoppers by twisting them.

sTZEQOk.gif

Thanks. Those are the four I thought were the ones. I had trouble holding papers up on the bottom two since they kept falling off before I could close my rear liftgate since it was angled.