Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fit and finish issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI: I just took delivery of a new M3... now in its third model year... and take a look at the pictures below. I wouldn't expect things to improve anytime soon with the MY. It's clear Tesla is bypassing body and paint quality control/inspections at the factory to speed up production and delegating adjustments/repairs to the Service Centers post-delivery. Good quarterly results are worth more than post-delivery labor costs. By the way, my headliner had black fingerprints all over it as well. Let me guess... your charge-port door isn't sitting flush against the tail light?
View attachment 528090 View attachment 528059 View attachment 528061 View attachment 528066 View attachment 528067 View attachment 528069 View attachment 528070 View attachment 528073 View attachment 528078 View attachment 528080

I have a similar issue with my MY charge port door not sitting flush against the tail light, it’s not terrible but I wasn’t sure if it was b/c of the charge port. I have my HomeLink delivered today so I’ll include it on my appt request. Thanks for the pics and sorry ur build quality was mediocre at best, at least it drives like a dream!

I hope all works well for you as well. My Y is now good, not perfect, and I am happy with it. It does seem that the issues encountered on my Y and much less severe that some issues reported with the early M3. I am optimistic that Tesla will continue to make progress on the fit and finish front and that they will become a leader on that front.

This sort of answers the question of why some traditional dealerships charge a “dealer prep” fee. It’s easy to grumble about it being another tacked on fee with no real benefit...until you see what happens when there is no “dealer prep.”
So you pay Ford/GM/Chrysler to make your car,then you pay the dealer to fix it before you even take delivery?
Sounds like a scam...

So you pay Ford/GM/Chrysler to make your car, then you pay the dealer to fix it before you even take delivery?
Sounds like a scam...

Might be, but I would have gladly paid a "dealer prep" fee if it meant getting issues missed by the factory resolved before delivery. As it stands now, I'm sure they'll have my car at a body shop for who knows how long. And I've already been to 2 service appointments in only 3 weeks of ownership so it's damn inconvenient, this back/forth for a brand new car.

Reactions: NY_Rob
So you pay Ford/GM/Chrysler to make your car,then you pay the dealer to fix it before you even take delivery?
Sounds like a scam...

Or you pay Tesla to make your car and then the burden is on you to find the issues and arrange to get them fixed after you've taken delivery.

Like I said, easy to think it's a scam or a useless fee...until you see what happens when it's not done.

First Post

Just picked up my Model Y in Cleveland a couple days ago. Dual motor long range, MSM w/ induction wheels.

Issues I've noted so far:
  • Rattle in trunk area at highway speed
  • Rattle on drivers side at city speed
  • Misalignment of USB-C ports in rear such that devices cannot be plugged in
  • Some minor rear panel alignment where window trim appears a little jagged (no big deal)
  • 1/4" gap where liftgate meets the body--does not appear to be material in nature
  • Passenger side above door has a nice dime-sized dent, probably damaged via transport. Tesla noted it on delivery and sent me a PDF due bill to have it repaired at a local collision shop.
Have only driven it a bit so I'm sure there are more easter eggs to be found :)

And despite the above, I love the hell out of this thing.

• Informative
Reactions: omegafiler
First Post

Just picked up my Model Y in Cleveland a couple days ago. Dual motor long range, MSM w/ induction wheels.

• Rattle in trunk area at highway speed
  • Misalignment of USB-C ports in rear such that devices cannot be plugged in
  • Some minor rear panel alignment where window trim appears a little jagged (no big deal)
  • 1/4" gap where liftgate meets the body--does not appear to be material in nature
  • Passenger side above door has a nice dime-sized dent, probably damaged via transport. Tesla noted it on delivery and sent me a PDF due bill to have it repaired at a local collision shop.

That rattle from the trunk, I think its actually the back seats, more specifically, the backs of the back seats. If I fold my seats down flat, it goes away. If you rap on the backs or the seat when they are down, you can kinda hear that rattle. More pronounced when the seats are up though.

That’s my biggest complaint so far, and the drivers side rear door is a little off on the bottom, nothing too major. Maybe mobile service can fix it?

That rattle from the trunk, I think its actually the back seats, more specifically, the backs of the back seats. If I fold my seats down flat, it goes away. If you rap on the backs or the seat when they are down, you can kinda hear that rattle. More pronounced when the seats are up though.

This was phenomenal insight. The rear middle seat has broken and misaligned clips; the back cover is not even fully attached. I made a mobile service appointment for next week!

t2.jpg
t1.jpg

Pros and cons of choosing to buy a Tesla I suppose. I am VIN 12XX and must have lucked out because my car is flawless. I may just be on the Tesla hype train but I am beyond stoked for all of the benefits i.e. tech, driving feel, performance, etc and willing to put up with a few minor quality issues.

my first Tesla and I haven't seen the issues mentioned here on mine...VIN 27XX. The charging door stuck a couple times, but it works fine now after a couple of charges. I'm just getting used to driving a computer.

I had the exact same issue. The bottom flat plastic piece almost seemed like it chipped off and the entire back panel was not seated flush.

My right rear seat's automatic fold is not working either. The service was done, but it honestly doesn't even feel that much more flush. I think they just replaced the back panel but the clips aren't that great as it's still easy to lift the panel off....

This was phenomenal insight. The rear middle seat has broken and misaligned clips; the back cover is not even fully attached. I made a mobile service appointment for next week!

View attachment 528901 View attachment 528900

Mobile service came out today. They said they secured the back of my middle seat but it’s still just basically dangling there. Did not fix the rattle in the middle seat assembly.

I had my wife drive me around and I think has to do with the headrest. If you put it up there is a loud rattle at the top. If you put it down the rattle moves to the seat interior.

Anyone know how to get the back of the seat totally off? It’s secured at the top somehow. I’d get in there and mod it myself if I could figure that out.

First Post

---

Good choice on the configuration. ;) And I'll second the "I love the hell out of this thing." sentiment. Regarding item 2 (the item I left in the quote above), the rattle on the drivers side at city speed is driving me nuts. I've tracked mine down to the center console somewhere. Don't have the others you mentioned fortunately, but my passenger side front door needs adjustment (needs to be slammed to be closed). Having purchased quite a few cars over my lifetime, my list isn't that long. And yes, I have some minor panel gap inconsistency. My punch list for my wife's 2019 Honda Pilot Elite was a lot longer then this and needed a couple days in the shop to fix them all (but that's what I get for basically taking delivery of it as they drove it off the truck). All things considered, I will say I'm very happy with what I received.

Reactions: tk1971