Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fit and finish issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After spending considerable time watching many reviews on Teslas,
I remain somewhat hesitant to take the plunge and order an S.
Seems like all the Teslas have had issues with fit and finish and paint.
I know Elon is aware of these problems but how long is it going to take to correct? There’s no doubt in my mind that Tesla is the leader in EV’s.
My son owns the 3 and loves it.
My belief is there so much demand that they can’t keep up with the orders so they are assembling them at a faster rate overlooking quality control.
A new Tesla owner shouldn’t have to take the car back to fix paint problems and fit and finish issues.
i’m not in a rush to buy a new Tesla.
I will patiently wait to see if these issues are corrected at the factory. When they are I’ll order the S.

I think the current S/X/3 are all reasonably good in terms of fit and finish. Particularly the S. It’s a relatively mature product at this point and I see relatively few issues with the actual cars being delivered these days. The Y is a different story.

That said, if pristine paint and dental-floss-tight panel gaps are what you prioritize above all else, you’re not likely to find that from Tesla at any point in the foreseeable future. It’s not what they’re selling. Patience isn’t gonna change that. Good enough, possibly after a post-delivery service visit or two? Yes. But if you’re the type that prefaces sentences and expectations with “if I’m spending $100k on a car you damn well bet...” ... you’re less likely to be satisfied.

With the Model S I speculate that the best examples you’re likely to get are rolling off the production line as we speak as they’re the beneficiary of 8 years of continuous improvement. If the rumors of a significant Q1 refresh hold, the quality control clock is going to reset again.

It takes Tesla a good 100,000 copies or so to get things dialed in to where I’d be comfortable buying. ;)

I know Elon is aware of these problems but how long is it going to take to correct? There’s no doubt in my mind that Tesla is the leader in EV’s.
My belief is there so much demand that they can’t keep up with the orders so they are assembling them at a faster rate overlooking quality control.
A new Tesla owner shouldn’t have to take the car back to fix paint problems and fit and finish issues.
I will patiently wait to see if these issues are corrected at the factory. When they are I’ll order the S.
Don’t hold your breath then. This is going to continue for as long as consumers allow Tesla to get away with it.

Object to the claim current Model S has few issues. You can check my history or just see attached, 2020 Model S, had to leave it in their body shop several days due to these white spots that I somehow missed. Not sure I would have rejected the car, but it definitely had paint problems.
IMG_1856.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: omegafiler
If fit and finish are a large part of your purchase decision I am afraid you will not be satisfied. My 2020 MS had nothing worth rejecting it for but there are disappointingly large panel gaps and multiple paint problems. There are many reports confirming the continuing variable nature of Tesla's body fit and finish. So this is unacceptable on a car at any price particularly after 8 years of production. But, and it's a big but, I have had not a single problem with the car. The interior may not be up to MB standards but I love the design. No rattles or squeaks, no ill fitting trim. The interior is fine. The driving experience is just on a whole new level and that is what you get a Tesla for. So assess what you want out of the car. Perfect looking at the paint from 12" away? Take a pass. Experiencing driving the best electric vehicle available (so far)? Go for it. The paint drives me nuts every time I wash the car and is totally forgotten as soon as I get in the driver's seat. And no one other than the shop that installed some PPF has ever noticed the panel gaps or paint imperfections. They really are pretty nit-picky minor on my car, and probably most of the Model S's.

Last edited:
I second GeorgM's post.
Some would say the panel gaps on my 2020 S are horrendous, some would say noticeable. They ARE big compared with any Japanese car but life's too short (at my age) and so long as it goes (and it DOES!) I'm relatively happy.
I bought the S as a small contribution to Musk's objective of getting the second generation of EVs to a mass market point as a precursor to the 3 etc so I rather look upon the purchase as a charitable giving....
The paintwork is fine, no real rattles, the interior is pretty un-luxury and frankly cramped - when we sit at the supercharger juggling coffee cups and muffins you have to be mighty careful your elbows don't splatter coffee everywhere and most of most of the muffins don't end up on the floor.
The thing that DOES irritate me is the software, which I think is poor in some respects. Many of the extras have different icon arrangements, a whole host of "features" do different things at different times, many things are not easy to find especially those that aren't used very much, the b****y media screen just insists on coming up all the time etc etc. Even such easily fixed things as the low contrast font in the onscreen manual which makes reading it a pain are irritating.
But it does go - I had to drive my wife's Honda Integra today and had completely forgotten how lumbering an ICE car is!

Reactions: fitnessinstbob
Just go to a showroom and look at a few. I think you’ll be happy with them. I’m incredibly particular and have only noticed two slight issues. One is in the paint on the edge of the rear trunk lid where it wraps from being to visible to invisible, and it’s a minor paint flaw. Nobody will ever see it unless they’re washing the car and being very meticulous about drying it. The other is the passenger side rear taillight - the portion in the trunk lid rides about 1.5-2MM higher than the portion in the fender. Again, I doubt anyone else notices this...see the attached pic and tell me if you do.

People come on here to complain. Like I said, swing my a sales center and look at a few. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

Attachments

• 7C768D25-EE9B-4643-A61D-BC8320C049ED.jpeg
    7C768D25-EE9B-4643-A61D-BC8320C049ED.jpeg
    1,000.6 KB · Views: 88
I think the current S/X/3 are all reasonably good in terms of fit and finish. Particularly the S. It’s a relatively mature product at this point and I see relatively few issues with the actual cars being delivered these days. The Y is a different story.

That said, if pristine paint and dental-floss-tight panel gaps are what you prioritize above all else, you’re not likely to find that from Tesla at any point in the foreseeable future. It’s not what they’re selling. Patience isn’t gonna change that. Good enough, possibly after a post-delivery service visit or two? Yes. But if you’re the type that prefaces sentences and expectations with “if I’m spending $100k on a car you damn well bet...” ... you’re less likely to be satisfied.

With the Model S I speculate that the best examples you’re likely to get are rolling off the production line as we speak as they’re the beneficiary of 8 years of continuous improvement. If the rumors of a significant Q1 refresh hold, the quality control clock is going to reset again.

It takes Tesla a good 100,000 copies or so to get things dialed in to where I’d be comfortable buying. ;)

ucmndd,
Thank you for your reply. You make some good points. I think my concern is down the line if the paint issues get worse it’s going to cause problems with the metal and rust.
I realize this isn’t what Tesla is about and I really think their cars are phenomenal,I was worried about ongoing paint issues.

Regards,
Bob

Just go to a showroom and look at a few. I think you’ll be happy with them. I’m incredibly particular and have only noticed two slight issues. One is in the paint on the edge of the rear trunk lid where it wraps from being to visible to invisible, and it’s a minor paint flaw. Nobody will ever see it unless they’re washing the car and being very meticulous about drying it. The other is the passenger side rear taillight - the portion in the trunk lid rides about 1.5-2MM higher than the portion in the fender. Again, I doubt anyone else notices this...see the attached pic and tell me if you do.

People come on here to complain. Like I said, swing my a sales center and look at a few. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

I just picked up mine last weekend in Scottsdale and it has a few issues with hood alignment etc. I am in Tucson as well and am happy to let you see them before and/or after my service center appointment on Thursday. It might be helpful to see how well they resolve them. Let me know if you are interested.