Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fit & Finish Issues Plaguing Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, the problem is people like reeler seem to believe that the problems they are seeing are representative of the whole. They do not qualify with "some," it's implied to be "all." And for the record, your posting history is one of skepticism and doubt from the beginning. There are a lot of people with ulterior motives that post here, and then the press picks those malcontents' posts as representative. That's an issue with social media.

And if my MY I'm picking up today has problems or not, I'll be posting my experience. I'm armed with a checklist covering the problem areas that have been noted by some.

And yet you failed to read that I said I love the technology and the driving experience, and I will buy another one when they've worked out most of the kinks. And it's good to have a bit of a reservation when you're laying out $60K of your hard earn money wouldn't you agree?

Last edited:
No, the problem is people like reeler seem to believe that the problems they are seeing are representative of the whole. They do not qualify with "some," it's implied to be "all." And for the record, your posting history is one of skepticism and doubt from the beginning. There are a lot of people with ulterior motives that post here, and then the press picks those malcontents' posts as representative. That's an issue with social media.

And if my MY I'm picking up today has problems or not, I'll be posting my experience. I'm armed with a checklist covering the problem areas that have been noted by some.
Looking forward to it - please post a link to your thread in this one.

FWIW - based on many of the QC issues I've seen reports of - it certainly appears that Tesla is shipping cars with known defects - and any of these defects are issues with parts themselves, which means that all cars will have issues until they change the part. Other issues (such as panel alignment and paint quality) are hit and miss, but some things like consistency of paint thickness are prevalent on all vehicles.

I'm not surprised at the JD Powers report which reports 2.5 problems per vehicle as anecdotally, that defect rate matches my personal experience.

All that said - IMO Tesla still has the best car on the market and I would buy another. But that also doesn't mean that I think that Tesla quality is good enough. It isn't, and they should do better.

There are a core group of folks that immediately launch a personal attack with research on prior posts, etc. when there is anything but glowing Tesla adoration on this forum. I suspect they are paid astroturfers or shareholders or just cultists. There are probably short sellers on the other side too. I have never owned Tesla stock or shorted it.

I have sent Tesla hundreds of thousands of dollars going way back to the early days of their existence so feel entitled to demand more from them. Contrary thought, if heard, makes a company stronger. Adoring apologists will not. This JD Powers feedback, for example, will lead to all buyers getting better cars is my prediction.

Tesla makes great cars for sure, but lack of Carplay and poor delivery is what will have me never buying another. My wife is a different story, but she has me to deal with the delivery disaster and body work.
I point you to your tagline, which IS insulting: "Drinking Game: Take shot of Teslaquila (AKA Tesla cool-aid) when a fanboi makes a ridiculous comment"

Reactions: DennyL
And yet you failed to read that I said I love the technology and the driving experience, and I will buy another one when they've worked out most of the kinks. And it's good to have a bit of a reservation when you're laying out $60K of your hard earn money wouldn't you agree?
I agree that you should expect a "kinks free" vehicle. I also believe many of the minor nits have been amplified way out of proportion by a few malcontents.

I agree that you should expect a "kinks free" vehicle. I also believe many of the minor nits have been amplified way out of proportion by a few malcontents.

"Minor" and "amplified" are relative terms with varying degrees of magnitude. I certainly wouldn't fault any owner for doing whatever they wanted with their car - whether they decide to keep it or return it - isn't it the owner's prerogative and allowed within Tesla's contract? Even if the car was 100% perfect and the owner decides to return it for no reason at all, who cares? Apparently it bothers you or you're offended by it.

Reactions: DennyL and Reeler
Reeler and Rxlawdude need to just make up already. Both of you guys are just on the farthest opposite side of the spectrum you can be. It's a bit tiring seeing you battle on every thread at this point. Reeler will always search out and battle for the side of negativity. Favorite taglines include calling people Tesla Fan boys and sipping Teslaquila. Rxlawdude will always look for the most positive Tesla spin he can find, and will always be found fighting with Reeler. Favorite taglines include, defending his bipartisan views by saying he will post good and bad (though very very rarely has anything bad to say), malcontents (favorite word in the whole world).

We don't need the same JD survey posted on 16 threads followed by an argument between the two of you, it can be seen on the thread that was created to show it. Both of you give it a rest. Try just being neutral like 90% of the rest of the people on this forum.

Sorry, whiner dude. Other than a small smudge that was quickly buffed out and a dirty wheel rim, the car was perfect. You hear that, REELER? PERFECT.

(This is my third Tesla, and my M3 was a very early, low VIN 2017; also delivered nearly perfect with a trim piece scratch and overspray on the windshield.)

I totally sympathize with those that have major problems, and indeed agree with rejecting those, but I guess I have a different definition of "major problem" than some of you.

Anyway, sorry again, REELER. You're wrong. At least one MY is perfect, so it can't be ALL MYs. :p
For every perfect Tesla, there’s a car with 5 defects. For two of them, there’s a single car with 10. That’s the way math works.

Too bad we don’t have defect distribution data. That would be telling.

One cannot defend a quality survey by stating their car was perfect. Your perfect experience does not comfort the owner who gets the car with double the average of defects.

A MAJOR problem is consistency. That’s what quality measures. And it costs Tesla a lot more money at delivery rejection than it does to fix by improving processes and prevention.

We took delivery on Saturday. Was it perfect? No, there was a slight gap between the headlight, bumper, and fender that they'll fix, but that was about it. BTW, I checked our Jaguar F-Pace that we were trading in. Guess what, the panel gaps were awful, and the window trim between the back door and quarter panel was the worse than any I've ever seen from Tesla. But guess what: we never noticed, and loved the SUV. Go figure. Tesla haters have done an outstanding job of getting us to focus on something that most of us never noticed until now.

Overall, regardless of nit-noid issues, I feel it's all worth it. I'll probably never buy a non-Tesla again. It's like back in 1915 complaining that the stitching on the seats of this new invention called a car isn't as good as the stitching on a horse drawn carriage, to which I say, who cares!

We just picked up our MY this afternoon in Carlsbad, CA. Finally Tesla (at least Carlsbad Delivery Center) is doing something right. With all the horror stories with fit and finish issues, along with various alignment issues, we showed up with the full expectation that we may have to refuse delivery.

However that was not to be.

The Model Y was PERFECT. We even printed out and brought with us the Checklist that I found on this Forum. We did not find a single issue.

I asked one of the Technicians there why I did not find any problems. He told me that each new car is carefully inspected when they arrive on the truck. Any issues they find are then corrected right there in their shop. On the day of delivery they carefully wash and detail every car before the appointment time so it is ready for the new owner. They also charge up each car to between 80% and 90% so the new owners are ready for whatever drive they have ahead of them. Ours was at 86% when we left for home.

Today was a TOTALLY AWESOME day. My wife is VERY, VERY happy, so that makes me happy. I had expected to have to drive "MY Graffi" home while she drove "Tessi". However, after we set up the Driver profiles, first me, then her, she decided that she would drive MY Graffi home and I was stuck with the MS, Tessi.

We just picked up our MY this afternoon in Carlsbad, CA. Finally Tesla (at least Carlsbad Delivery Center) is doing something right. With all the horror stories with fit and finish issues, along with various alignment issues, we showed up with the full expectation that we may have to refuse delivery.

The Model Y was PERFECT. We even printed out and brought with us the Checklist that I found on this Forum.

I asked one of the Technicians there why I did not find any problems. He told me that each new car is carefully inspected when they arrive on the truck. Any issues they find are then corrected right there in their shop. On the day of delivery they carefully wash and detail every car before the appointment time so it is ready for the new owner. They also charge up each car to between 80% and 90% so the new owners are ready for whatever drive they have ahead of them. Ours was at 86% when we left for home.

Today was a TOTALLY AWESOME day. My wife is VERY, VERY happy, so that makes me happy. I had expected to have to drive "MY Graffi" home while she drove "Tessi". However, after we set up the Driver profiles, first me, then her, she decided that she would drive MY Graffi home and I was stuck with the MS, Tessi.
Carefully inspected. They are lying. Mines wasn't carefully inspected and I had picked up from Carlsbad as well. I am guessing luck of the draw to get a flawless Model Y. Congratulations on your new Y!

If they said they carefully inspected this is how they would fix it because its exactly what they did to mines. White touch up.

https://i.imgur.com/xGLB6c9.jpg

Model Y PUP Pearl White - Issues

Last edited:

The Model Y was PERFECT. We even printed out and brought with us the Checklist that I found on this Forum. We did not find a single issue.

Glad that your Model Y was perfect, Graffi. We need more stories like this to figure out how many cars are being delivered with issues.

FWIW, I do have to side with DennyL a bit - another forum member just posted Monday that he had to reject his Model Y that he picked up at Carlsbad. The right side of the car was obviously repainted, and done poorly along with a laundry list of other issues.
The End of my MY Story (at least for now)

Unfortunately the JD Power results blow the myth of the "silent majority" not having problems or complaints out of the water.

Sure, there are are plenty of owners with no problems or complaints. But individual comments don't mean much statistically. A survey of a large group of owners is going to be far more accurate in predicting what an individual owner is likely to experience. Unfortunately those reporting no problems or complaints are being offset by many owners reporting multiple problems or complaints.

Don't you just love it when some don't like the results of a JD Power survey, so they try to discredit it as being biased? Seems to happen ever time, and it's rather amusing. Well, don't blame JD Power for the results. All they did was tabulate what Tesla owners reported to them.

Some suggest many of the complaints and problems are minor. Hopefully that's not Tesla's attitude. Blowing off customer complaints is not a recipe for a successful business, and hopefully Elon is working on permanent fixes. It was understandable when they were operating on a shoestring, but now they have the capital to solve the production issues. It's not like they can't be resolved. They are little different versus what every other massed produced vehicle manufacturer faces.

All cars have positives and negatives. Plenty of us continue buying Teslas knowing the overall build quality continues to be subpar. For many of us the positive Tesla attributes offset this, and that's fine if you are entering into the transaction with your eyes wide open. Lots and lots of us are enthusiastic Tesla owners despite the problems, but it's time for Elon to clean up his act.

Don't you just love it when some don't like the results of a JD Power survey, so they try to discredit it as being biased?
I would recommend watching that video about the JD Power IQS. The things that can be a "defect" can range from the door falling off to someone not liking the size of the text on the display. It's too bad JD Power doesn't offer any granularity on what is reported.

Sure, there are lots of things going wrong with the Model Y, certainly above average, but I would also say that there are a lot more features and functionality in a Tesla than your average car.

Dont
I would recommend watching that video about the JD Power IQS. The things that can be a "defect" can range from the door falling off to someone not liking the size of the text on the display. It's too bad JD Power doesn't offer any granularity on what is reported.

Sure, there are lots of things going wrong with the Model Y, certainly above average, but I would also say that there are a lot more features and functionality in a Tesla than your average car.

Don't forget the number of cup holders...