Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fit & Finish Issues - Which ones would you ask to be corrected?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here in Texas, the convoluted Tesla sales process requires one to effectively give Tesla credit in the sense that you must fork over full payment to complete the purchase in California (for legal reasons) before Tesla ships the car.

You are fighting an uphill battle in Texas trying to own a Tesla. Big oil lobbies don’t want Tesla around because the cars don’t use their oil. And the car dealership lobbies don’t want Tesla around because Tesla sells direct. Until your state votes the current politicians out of office and changes the laws preventing Tesla from selling direct to consumers it’s going to be a less than ideal experience to purchase and drive a Tesla. While these laws protect the oil industry and the dealership, they do nothing to protect the consumer.

Reactions: Scott7
Yeah, Texas is enemy territory for Tesla. But they could do more within the limitations of the law to improve the customer experience. Like use escrow and complete the sale in California while immediately reverse funding the escrow account to enable instant cash refund in case the car is returned within their advertised 7 days / 1000 miles period.

I just picked up a new Chevy Volt last Tuesday. The fit and finish is perfect. I can't find a flaw on the entire car.

I purchased a different Chevy Volt last December. Guess what, the fit and finish was perfect on that car too.

Tesla's build quality is to s***ty for me to pull the trigger.

I would say the paint, fit, finish and assembly of my 2017 Volt was much better than my May 2019 M3. Despite this the electronics and software in the GM sux cow balls. Got rid of my Chevy Volt after 2 years for the M3. Volt left me stranded with shift to park errors. BCM and shifter were replaced and I was still getting stuck never knowing when the damn thing would work. GM service couldn't find the problem as it would go away before I could get to have them see it. The Tesla paint and rattles will not stop me from going from point A to B.

I've been kicking around the idea since they brought the standard range down to $36,200. I've read just about everything there is to read about the Model 3. I want it to be a great car but just can't pull the trigger because of all the build quality issues. I pop back here once in a while to see if there is anything new (discounts, etc.).

All of the build quality issues? Out of the hundreds of thousands that have been built and sold, there is less than 1% with build quality issues?

If you are that concerned, just inspect it carefully before you buy. If it doesn’t meet your standards, reject it.

Having owned two Volts, in my opinion, they are absolute garbage compared to my model 3. Sure, I got over 10k off the “40k” MSRP plus another 10k in fed/state tax credits, cutting the price to 20k but still. I would NEVER buy a volt again after owning a Model 3 (model 3 production was probably one of the reasons why they stopped making them). It’s a completely different class of car.

For me, I’d say both my volts actually had crappier build quality vs. my model 3. I had paint nibs, interior issues, my ultrasonic sensors stopped working on one of my volts. Both Volts had to go into the dealer for various software updates/fixes which was a giant pain, multiple times.

To answer the OP - I would just return the car and get a different one if you can. That to me is unacceptable.

• Love
This car has been in some kind of “mishap” and they are trying to hide and deny. I could live with almost any of these items individually (except maybe for the pushed in panel), but in total they are COMPLETELY unacceptable. I would not be comfortable with them all being repaired, either. IMHO the only option is to return the car..

As an example data point, I picked up my car almost a month ago and it was immaculate as were a butt-load of other Model 3s they were delivering that day.

You did a nice clear write up of the issues. I would send that to a couple of people in the production and delivery management chain, too.

I just picked up a new Chevy Volt last Tuesday. The fit and finish is perfect. I can't find a flaw on the entire car.

I purchased a different Chevy Volt last December. Guess what, the fit and finish was perfect on that car too.

Congrats on finding a now discontinued volt. There is no way would I ever buy another GM vehicle and the now discontinued volt is a prime example of GM discontinuing EVs and sometimes even crushing them. If GM had stuck with the EV1 this country would be better off, but what did GM do?, they CRUSHED them. NO THANKS GM, they will never get my money ever again. I will stick with my multiple Tesla vehicles, that are all flawless FYI.

This car has been in some kind of “mishap” and they are trying to hide and deny. I could live with almost any of these items individually (except maybe for the pushed in panel), but in total they are COMPLETELY unacceptable. I would not be comfortable with them all being repaired, either. IMHO the only option is to return the car..

As an example data point, I picked up my car almost a month ago and it was immaculate as were a butt-load of other Model 3s they were delivering that day.

You did a nice clear write up of the issues. I would send that to a couple of people in the production and delivery management chain, too.

It is really hard to get a hold of [the right] people at Tesla. They make it damn near impossible unless you are unemployed with plenty of free time and are a part time detective.

I have sent those images and descriptions to the delivery manager, regional service manager, service center manager, and senior service adviser that I usually deal with. Guess I will start looping in others.

The delivery manager responded back with:

"I do want to be upfront that many of these pictures are simply characteristics of Model 3s and, from the pictures, appear to be normal and within our specifications."

That is what this location's management thinks of these issues.

This is the kind of story the Fudsters would like to write about regarding ongoing Tesla quality issues, including quotes from Tesla delivery managers stating that this is normal and no other big wigs cc'd stepping in to say no, actually this is not a normal delivery experience from a quality perspective... Ugh.

Frankly, if I’d have gotten that ridiculous response from a Tesla delivery expert, written via email, I’d threaten to email these pictures to every German car magazine and copy every publically available Tesla PR email on that threat, demanding they replace the vehicle or refund your money ASAP.

Frankly, if I’d have gotten that ridiculous response from a Tesla delivery expert, written via email, I’d threaten to email these pictures to every German car magazine and copy every publically available Tesla PR email on that threat, demanding they replace the vehicle or refund your money ASAP.

That is hardcore but it would a lesson learned for Tesla. The "whatever" attitude is going to be their achilles heel.

I had a similar delivery experience

You are fighting an uphill battle in Texas trying to own a Tesla. Big oil lobbies don’t want Tesla around because the cars don’t use their oil. And the car dealership lobbies don’t want Tesla around because Tesla sells direct. Until your state votes the current politicians out of office and changes the laws preventing Tesla from selling direct to consumers it’s going to be a less than ideal experience to purchase and drive a Tesla. While these laws protect the oil industry and the dealership, they do nothing to protect the consumer.

Here's my take on it. The oil companies when they see the go-electric trend is inevitable, will simply convert their gasoline stations to partial electric charging stations while retaining a portion for gasoline. They will become the next ChargePoint/EVGo to compete in this market. I see them getting into some form of electrical generation of power or at least distribution from the EVSE end. They won't sit on the sidelines and let a dwindling source of revenue escape them for long. Not with all the money behind them and surely they can compete agressively against companies like ChargePoint. Their stations own the land for a lot of convenient locations aleady. I don't see them wanting to share any money by putting in someone elses EVSE system in their stations. Right now they feel their best efforts are to try to stop ZEVs as best they can with their negative press stories and partnering with legacy automakers and automobile dealership associations in their lobbying efforts. It will be a losing proposition in the end to try to prevent ZEVs from populating our highways.

Here is one of the problems with forum complaints. Upon close inspection OP points out, with well lit high definition up close photographs many small imperfections in his car. People understandably see this and hold off ordering their own Tesla, or do so with built up anxiety if they will recieve the same issues with their cars.

Then another guy posts that his other brand car was absolutely perfect. Built by Gods and of show quality. Another guy posts that they had one of those and it left him stranded all the time, but loves the quality fit and finish of the Tesla that he had delivered.
Others chime in and said that their Tesla was delivered without all those problems and others are being nit-picky.

Hard for people to make informed buying decisions.

Currently Tesla is under extreme pressure to turn out high volumes of cars to reach the demands of the investors. Some are slipping out that should not be presented to customers in that condition. Elon has super high quality expectations, but it seems that some of the people producing the cars, and the inspectors that pass them are letting him down.

Bob Lutz made a famous quote that "too much quality can kill you". Meaning that striving for perfection in every car can make producing those cars unprofitable. Reports are that Tesla quality is constantly getting better, warranty expenses are going down, and they are developing better ways to get quality integrated into the design, production and delivery proceedures. Still it just takes one guy, having a bad day, to jeopardize the quality of any given car.

Believe that OP can have most of the issues cleared with a visit to his friendly local service center. Some will be quick fixes, and others not worth the effort and risk of additional damage. As an example, believe that that paint sag on the rocker panel is probably just that heavy anti abrasion tough paint they add there to reduce rock chips etc.

Not making excuses, but it seem as that most all enthusiasts auto manufacturer forms are rife with people unhappy with their quality. These people are emotional about their cars and want them to represent well. Are very vocal when their expectations are not met.

My early Model X had some less than perfect panel gaps, yet it has been my most enjoyable vehicle ever.

Reactions: lUtriaNt and Seven7

Given how legacy automakers haven't even been willing to stock electric cars on their lots or try to market them, I wouldn't be buying one at this discontinued stage. I'd be concerned about future service, parts replacements, updates, etc. God forbid one or both of yours get in an accident and need major parts replaced. We have a 2017 Model S and 2018 Model 3 both purchased new and build quality was not an issue with them. My husband's MS was great from delivery and my only due bill issues were 3 tiny dust paint spots and a slightly misaligned fender panel, all of which were fixed shortly after delivery. Cars run great, enjoy everything about them and especially love the OTA aspect. While much of the Tesla-hating press would like you to think the company will be out of business, I don't believe that and enjoy driving our cars every day. If one was to say which car, Volt or Model 3, would you be most disappointed in buying after 4 years I think it will be the Volt. Personally I think it is a nice looking car, and way better looking than the Bolt and with more storage, but they didn't sell that many of them and don't see Chevy putting much future money into supporting them.

Reactions: Seven7
I'll be surprised given the number of paint issues and the alignment if OP doesn't return it for another. I'm sure it will still make a good demo or loaner vehicle for some location. It's a shame it got delivered in that condition but don't think it's typical at all of what most people experience on delivery day. I love my car and wouldn't consider getting anything else. Total fun to drive.

Part of the delivery problem is the experience and expectations. The car is ordered and delivered FOR you. You should have high expectations that the car will be in excellent condition. When the car has issues, the experience is ruined.

With other car dealers, you typically buy from the lot and already know what you are receiving. If something is wrong, they find a different car on the lot/locally or fix it before you purchase.

The Tesla experience expects you to put down a deposit, accept and pay for the car with issues and then return to get them fixed.

Do other car brands have similar quality issues? Absolutely but they don't offer the same experience as Tesla therefore the expectations are lower. The edge case is if you custom order a car direct from factory.

Here is one of the problems with forum complaints. Upon close inspection OP points out, with well lit high definition up close photographs many small imperfections in his car. People understandably see this and hold off ordering their own Tesla, or do so with built up anxiety if they will recieve the same issues with their cars.

While I understand what you are saying, the camera was just a several generation old cracked smartphone as the sun was going down towards the end of the pictures. Just look for quality abnormalities, point and shoot in auto mode.

It is really just that there are so many small issues they pile up and don't make you feel too great about paying full price when others say theirs didn't have any/many of these issues.

It didn't help Tesla sell any cars when their management out right admitted in writing this is the normal condition they sell these cars in. They see these issues, then pass the cars on to the customer and if the customer complains, stand behind the 'within spec' statement. As a prior and current owner and long stock holder, it's disappointing to get that kind of response.

Ignorance is bliss, so just don't look close and you will be alright if you want to buy a Tesla. Just don't expect them to care too much about your concerns if you don't like the quality. I think Tesla is tightening their purse strings but not their QC group.

Last edited:
It is really hard to get a hold of [the right] people at Tesla. They make it damn near impossible unless you are unemployed with plenty of free time and are a part time detective.

I have sent those images and descriptions to the delivery manager, regional service manager, service center manager, and senior service adviser that I usually deal with. Guess I will start looping in others.

The delivery manager responded back with:

"I do want to be upfront that many of these pictures are simply characteristics of Model 3s and, from the pictures, appear to be normal and within our specifications."

That is what this location's management thinks of these issues.

This is the kind of story the Fudsters would like to write about regarding ongoing Tesla quality issues, including quotes from Tesla delivery managers stating that this is normal and no other big wigs cc'd stepping in to say no, actually this is not a normal delivery experience from a quality perspective... Ugh.

Just return the car. Yes, it will be a giant hassle but you’ll get a refund and then you can get one that is perfect.

It’s a lot of money - why settle?

Given how legacy automakers haven't even been willing to stock electric cars on their lots or try to market them, I wouldn't be buying one at this discontinued stage. I'd be concerned about future service, parts replacements, updates, etc. God forbid one or both of yours get in an accident and need major parts replaced. We have a 2017 Model S and 2018 Model 3 both purchased new and build quality was not an issue with them. My husband's MS was great from delivery and my only due bill issues were 3 tiny dust paint spots and a slightly misaligned fender panel, all of which were fixed shortly after delivery. Cars run great, enjoy everything about them and especially love the OTA aspect. While much of the Tesla-hating press would like you to think the company will be out of business, I don't believe that and enjoy driving our cars every day. If one was to say which car, Volt or Model 3, would you be most disappointed in buying after 4 years I think it will be the Volt. Personally I think it is a nice looking car, and way better looking than the Bolt and with more storage, but they didn't sell that many of them and don't see Chevy putting much future money into supporting them.

Yeah, but I only paid $23,500 for a $42k MSRP Volt. That's two Volts for the price of a LR RWD Model 3. I traded my 16k mile Volt towards the new Volt and only paid $2,800 difference after all the tax and registration fees. It's pretty hard to pass at that price even if obsolete. And don't forget I have the gas engine that will go forever once the 60 miles of electric range is gone.

I think Tesla needs more time to work out the production issues plus the price will continue to fall. I'll consider the Model 3 once my Volt accumulates more miles.