TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Fit & Finish of the test drive event cars

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by cinergi, Jul 22, 2012.

1. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

It felt like this deserved a new thread because I don't want the focus to be on the actual issues with fit and finish, but rather the reasons for them and to talk about this discerning TMC crowd vs. the general public and what I learned by spending 12 hours this past weekend with the NY Tesla crew.

This applies to things like:
    • Retractable door handles
    • Panel alignment
    • Carpet coverage, alignment, looseness

These cars are not final production quality. It's not only clearly obvious, a long-time trusted Tesla employee that I regularly talk to told me as much. These cars were slightly rushed to get them in our hands. For better or for worse, we need to cut them some slack. I realize they are the ones who exposed us to it without being terribly explicit about what we're observing, but I just spent 12 hours with the NY crew and it's pretty clear we have the wrong impression about a lot of things (believe me -- I had drinks and dinner with them as well). I also observed a lot of people who aren't part of this TMC crowd and none of them said anything about fit and finish. I really don't think we have a public dilemma on our hands.

They're *very* aware of the issues, and I have *zero* doubt they'll fix them. We can & should point out stuff that we notice, but I don't think it's helpful to anyone to have 300 posts about a particular quality issue.

(For any Tesla employees reading -- no one shared anything they shouldn't have and everyone was very professional. It was a fantastic experience to hang out with the crew and I deeply appreciate that it's not frowned upon and can participate and share observations as an owner. Please don't cut this access off -- no Tesla IP was leaked or anything of that nature)

2. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

So, I'm a little confused, if we're not supposed to focus on fit and finish from the test drives in the "fit and finish of the test drive event cars" thread, what exactly are we discussing in this thread?

3. Tommy

Tommy Member

That's good to hear @cinergi regarding the issues posted on TMC will be addressed by Tesla. I certainly agree with you that it isn't helpful to keep rehashing the same quality issues,. However, I think that is due to seeing the same quality issue keep surfacing on each release of the latest production run and wondering if indeed Tesla is taking heed to the concerns expressed.

Again, thanks for removing some of the doubt I have had about fit & finish issues.

4. Tommy

Tommy Member

The reason why Tesla released cars that have some fit and finish issues:

My take was Tesla released these test cars to "get the show on the road" rather than wait to get the "perfect" car due to time constraints. IMO, the minor fit and finish issues took a back seat in this case to satisfying reservation holder's calls for a test drive before firming up their order.

5. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

I mean, don't use this thread to talk about the details of problems with the door handles, for example. Talk about the general issue of noticing fit and finish, reporting them, how we as a community handle it, deciding whether I'm on crack and everything should continue as-is, etc.

6. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

I noticed the upper right corner of the touch screen was hidden under the dash trim today in Portland. And this is VIN 115 or some such close to that. Not a big deal, but it's something I would have expected to have been addressed in such a recent VIN.

7. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

@cinergi - Well, given your lengthy conversation with them, I do feel a bit better, but obviously, nothing is going to really assuage my concerns until cars start being delivered and posts appear regarding resolved/remaining issues. I do applaud your efforts to calm the furor.

8. Tommy

Tommy Member

The thought has crossed my mind: How does Tesla move away from releasing vehicle with fit & finish issues to releasing flaw free ones. In other words, does Tesla have the culture to slow down and build them right or is it always going to be a rush job as seems to be the case with the releases to date. Just thinking out loud.

9. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Lower B panel issues

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343012407.284097.jpg

10. pguerra

pguerra Member

Hi Cinergi it was nice to meet you at the NY event. I didn't notice any fit/finish issues but I haven't spent a lot of time with the Model S. What I did notice however were important to me (and probably a great many number of future owners). I hope Tesla's Engineering Director can see this list and fix these problems before I take delivery. At the very least fixing 1 and 2 would be easy relative to 4-6 below:

1) No concealed space to store stuff.
    2) No rear cup holders (should be part of the back part of the middle console, not via an add-on rear seat console).

3) Limited subwoofer range even with 580 Watt speaker option. My Hybrid Escalade sounds much better.
    4) Paint Armor should cover entire hood to reduce appearance of visible Paint Armor line.
    5) No motorized retractable side mirrors.
    6) Poor/limited rear visibility via the hatchback window.

As it stands now: For the rear seat passengers, I'm going to have to put little cup holders that hang off the windows! The removable rear seat console is silly, awkward and takes up passenger space!

Tesla, just fix 1 and 2 above and I'll be happy to rate the car a solid 9 out of 10. (And good job with the rest of the vehicle. The rest is perfect).

Phillip from Texas

11. ERock

ERock 9347

I have photos at home but here are my fit & finish issues:
    1) rear doors have exposed glue on the top trim. Looked like a patch job
    2) dash above top left corner of console wasn't secured. Small force lifted the dash.
    3) the jump seat buckle plastic piece broke when an employee tried folding the seat down.
    4) trunk alignment. Which I think is known
    5) window seal rubber wasn't even when window was up. It was being squeezed differently at one spot along the window edge than other spots

12. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

One thing that I haven't seen pointed out much (if at all) is the poor rear-seat belt retractors. In three of the Model S' that I've been in so far there's been an issue with them.

Oh, and I noticed the center screen being slightly under the trim on the black car in Portland over the weekend.

13. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

Yeah that was #114 the Black performance, I saw it too (as did ckessel). 112 Red was good (see below). But I thought the top of the console screen was a bit "phonish" in feel. I asked about why the battery icon there. Seemed odd, as well as such a small clock display, or the temp... so very last minute thoughts in my mind....

IMG_4212mc.jpg

I walked away feeling good about my res number position.

14. MikeK

MikeK R#129, TSLA shareholder

Very glad to hear the Tesla folks are on top of these issues. I noticed in one of the test drive threads that a couple of more recent cars arrived at one of the events. From the limited photos available, panel fit looked better on those cars than on the ones from Fremont that are now part of the tour. So, hopefully that's a sign of ongoing progress as we get close to delivery of the Signature series!

15. MikeK

MikeK R#129, TSLA shareholder

Here's one that I hope Tesla is aware of. Have a look at Cinergi's great video of the Infotainment system, at 1:40. The finish is flaking off around the steering wheel button cluster.

http://youtu.be/C46xEd-UDPc

16. ADN_ModelS

ADN_ModelS Member

On the seatbelt issues: I spent quite a bit of time looking at the seat belt, and it's clear what the problem is. Its NOT the seatbelt itself. Its that the seat belt fabric gets caught in the pillar panels. I took a picture which shows this pretty clearly. In the picture you can see how the seatbelt is sliding into the crack between the panels. That is what causes it to not retract. If you free it, it retracts as expected.

IMG_0732.jpg

I mentioned it to the guy in our car, and he made it very clear that they knew about it, and it was being addressed.

17. nrcooled

nrcooled P#8946 VIN 03225

This. While I can't wait to get mine, having some of the little niggles worked out before I drop a good chunk of cash down on a car makes me feel better.

18. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

On interesting thing I noticed during my drive is that the little Bluetooth icon on the top is a clickable item. It brings up the bluetooth menu that allows for management of paired devices. Apparently it can be set up with multiple devices even though it can only be paired with one at a time (which makes sense). It will be pretty nice to be able to switch between paired phones with just a few taps of the screen.

19. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

Most of the icons up there are clickable. You can watch me do it in my video (posted both in the NY forums and in the infotainment thread)

20. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

I watched the video....hopefully it's just 'finger crud' (for want of a better term....I thought the steering wheel and associate switchgear was stock Mercedes, so I'd be surprised if the finish was coming away already. Of course, having just looked at a bunch of MB images, I don't see the wheel with the same buttons, so maybe those are custom to Tesla.