TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Fitting a tandem into a Model S: favor required from Eugene, OR area owner...

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by EdA, Oct 28, 2013.

1. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

Hello Northwest,

I'm considering buying a Bike Friday tandem bicycle (Bike Friday - Custom folding and travel bicycles hand-crafted in Oregon) and trying to decide if I need to
    spring for the most expensive folding model or can get away with one of the cheaper models (then there's the hassle factor of disassembling the non-folding tandem).

Are there any bike enthusiast Model S owners near Bike Friday (Bike Friday - Custom folding and travel bicycles hand-crafted in Oregon) that can do some fitting attempts for me and determine how long it takes to assemble/disassemble the different bike styles to get into the Model S?

I have a 20 year old tandem which has served us well however I retired the minivan (perfect tandem & pinball mover :wink:) when I got the Model S. I'd like to avoid a roof rack (been there, pre-minivan) or a trailer hitch thingy if possible.

Thanks in advance,
    /Ed

2. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

Send me a PM with some more particulars: which models you'd like info for, do you want to try and get it in the frunk, under the load floor in the back? I'll try to find the time to go down there this week.

3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

A few months ago I recall seeing a YouTube video showing a Tesla with a tandem bike in the rear, seats folded flat. Front wheel off of course. Search YouTube...

4. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

@ecarfan - that is true but I want to avoid the hassle of getting a bike rack installed and like the peace of mind of having the bike in the car.
    Adding a roof rack or rear rack decreases range and there are weather hassles, etc.

@Lyon - PM on its way

5. shark

shark Member

Santana tandem bike with wheels on. Leaves very little room for front passenger.

IMG_2124.jpg

6. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

Amazing! What about removing the front wheel?
    Simply amazing...

7. ecarfan

#7 ecarfan, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
    My post was about a video showing a tandem INSIDE the back of an S with the rear seats down. I think the front wheel was off, but maybe not.

8. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

9. shark

shark Member

Sorry, don't have the tandem any longer to test with the front wheel off. This was its only time in the Model S, to the bike shop to be packed and shipped off.

10. andyrebele

andyrebele Member

I regularly take my Bike Friday Model T Tikit (Large), but it's not a tandem. It fits, folded (a 15 second process), vertical, in the back, with the rear seats in their normal seating position, so I still have room for a Bob stroller and a couple of small pieces of luggage in the back. It does not fit in the frunk.

11. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

Pics or it didn't happen :)

12. andyrebele

andyrebele Member

If you meant that for me...point well taken. I'll take a pic next time and post it on TMC.

13. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

Yep...

14. ecarfan

15. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

Finally purchased a tandem this past Saturday. Turned to 30,000 on the way. First ride was yesterday. reny6use.jpg

16. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

Nice fit! I keep a padded, moving blanket or two in the back cubby of my MS just for carrying bikes when needed. I knew that I could fit a 29er into the back of an MS without taking off the wheels. Good to see a tandem fit with the wheels off.

Have fun!

17. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

I have Lloyd's rubber mats throughout my car and a mover's blanket, but I picked up a second one yesterday.
    The sheets are mainly there to help protect in ingress/egress.