Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fitting a type one connector to a Tesla wall charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PhilipUK

Aug 12, 2017
Uk
Times are tough and I have sold the Tesla and replaced it with an older Nissan Leaf. :( The leaf accepts a type one cable. My Tesla wall charger I believe is type 2.

If I buy a type 1 cable and socket can I wire it into the unit on the wall? Will it work? Seems a better option than adaptors and I would prefer not to buy a whole new wall box.

something like this: Type 1&2 EVSE Cables

First, you'll need a type 2 to type 1 adapter. You should be able to find one from a shop local to the UK. Here's one but you may be able to find cheaper else where; perhaps a UK nissan leaf forum?

Type 2 to Type 1 Cable Adaper/Converter | 16/32 Amp |

(Think the leaf is 32 amp so you should get the 32 amp version)

You may also need to flip a DIP switch to ensure that the HPWC will work with your car. See this thread: Destination charger settings

Seems like you need to flip the 2nd DIP switch to down.

An adaptor would allow you to charge in public tethered type 2 chargers. I ended up buying one for that reason, even if my home wallbox is type 1 (I charge the Model 3 with an adaptor there, as we still have the LEAF)
I don't know if this is the case in the UK, but in Catalonia most of the DC chargers have a type 2 tethered connection as well (and it usually can work in parallel with the DC ones), the adaptor allows us to charge even if the DC charger is occupied. With only 27 kWh, any additional charging option is gold.