Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Five days at the airport (vampire loss)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got back from a business trip where my S85 spent five days at the airport. Let's just say I am glad I did not have a long road trip back to home, because the vampire loss was pretty insane. This was the first time I have let the car sit unplugged for an extended period of time. Temps were in the 40's-50's, and always connected was turned on, but power saving (at night) was at least on. Those are my default settings.

I parked with 161 of rated range and had just 109 after five days. Doesn't that seem much higher than it should be? I lost 10 miles per day!

10 miles per day is only a vampire draw of about 125W average power draw, which is probably about right leaving the "always connected" electronics online while not plugged in, plus keeping the pack warm. Best to turn always connected off and energy saving on if you're going to be parked with no power for a while.

I just got back from a business trip where my S85 spent five days at the airport. Let's just say I am glad I did not have a long road trip back to home, because the vampire loss was pretty insane. This was the first time I have let the car sit unplugged for an extended period of time. Temps were in the 40's-50's, and always connected was turned on, but power saving (at night) was at least on. Those are my default settings.

I parked with 161 of rated range and had just 109 after five days. Doesn't that seem much higher than it should be? I lost 10 miles per day!

I was gone for 2 weeks in China. Had mine set for 50% charge, and plugged in on a 120v in my parents garage.
I checked the car daily. Charge at 50% registered 98-100 miles. Charge set to kick in daily at 7pm for time of use.
Each day, when I got the text that car had begun charging, range was down to about 75 miles. Charge completed when it got back up to 98-100. Cold temps between 0-35*F were involved, but that was outside. While garage was not heated, the temps inside the garage never dropped below freezing. Or at least, never got cold enough to freeze the small pail of water my dad keeps in the garage as a freeze warning.

3 kWh/day while not in energy saving mode, parked in the cold.... I'd say is pretty impressive.

I may be leaving my P85D parked unplugged for an extended period in the near future. Going to see how it goes with energy save on, not always connected, and not waking the car with the app much to check on it.

3 kWh/day while not in energy saving mode, parked in the cold.... I'd say is pretty impressive.

I may be leaving my P85D parked unplugged for an extended period in the near future. Going to see how it goes with energy save on, not always connected, and not waking the car with the app much to check on it.

I would appreciate hearing the results. Hopefully energy saving mode + not connected + not waking the car up will give better results.

It should. Earlier S software was always connected and the computers were always on. I lost 10 miles a day leaving the S at the airport.

After the "deep sleep" feature was released, that figure dropped to a few miles per day. I don't remember the precise number but it was low enough that I stopped worrying (probably 3 miles or less per day).

I believe the deep sleep is equivalent to today's "energy saving" + "not connected" mode. Even waking the car every day to check on mileage drain isn't bad because if you shut down your app, the car will go back to sleep after a while.

I left my car 7 days in the garage. Temperature was about 12°C
I made a 90% charge just before leaving.

The autonomy (typical) was 353 kms
Remote was "Off", always connected was "false" and energy saving "On".

7 days later, the typical autonomy was 336kms.

I've parked my Model S at the airport several times. Here are some guidelines: Use energy saving setting. Make sure the car is NOT always connected. Do not try to "wake" the car with the remote app because then it takes a while for the car to go back to "sleep". If you do those things, you'll only use about 4 miles of range per day with the temperature (40F - 85F). My results would not be reliable with sustained temps below 40F.