Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Five minute charging? Straubel says "yes."

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is all vaporware. Stop talking about 5 minute charging potential and give us a damn CHAdeMO adapter so we can utilize fast DC charging at the many DC stations popping up all over the country. I have several of them here in Phoenix, but can't use them, and no Supercharger. So I couldn't care less about Tesla dreaming about a 5 minute charge when they aren't even willing to provide owners with an adapter to speed up charging at public charge points.

This is all vaporware. Stop talking about 5 minute charging potential and give us a damn CHAdeMO adapter so we can utilize fast DC charging at the many DC stations popping up all over the country. I have several of them here in Phoenix, but can't use them, and no Supercharger. So I couldn't care less about Tesla dreaming about a 5 minute charge when they aren't even willing to provide owners with an adapter to speed up charging at public charge points.

Out of curiosity, if you live in Phoenix, are the Phoenix CHAdeMO stations particularly useful to you?
If you want to drive outside of Phoenix, it's currently a long way to the next CHAdeMO station.

On the other hand, this year Tesla is trying to get you 120 kW supercharger stations that can take you from Phoenix to Vancouver. Isn't that more useful to you than 65 kW stations all within 20 miles of Phoenix?
Personally, I have little use for CHAdeMO even with 10 stations in my car's range. I like Tesla's supercharger plan better.

I also like that they're looking to improve their supercharger rates.

Out of curiosity, if you live in Phoenix, are the Phoenix CHAdeMO stations particularly useful to you?
If you want to drive outside of Phoenix, it's currently a long way to the next CHAdeMO station.

On the other hand, this year Tesla is trying to get you 120 kW supercharger stations that can take you from Phoenix to Vancouver. Isn't that more useful to you than 65 kW stations all within 20 miles of Phoenix?
Personally, I have little use for CHAdeMO even with 10 stations in my car's range. I like Tesla's supercharger plan better.

I also like that they're looking to improve their supercharger rates.

CHAdeMO is an option just like every other charging standard including the Tesla supercharger. Why exclude one type of adapter when you have built every other kind? And why, according to you, does it have to be one at the exclusion of the other? Having a CHAdeMO adapter gives us one more option - it has nothing to do with whether you, personally, find it useful if there is a CHAdeMO station near you. This has nothing to do with you. There are plenty of us who want the additional option of having a CHAdeMO adapter because we want the option of using those stations.

I am simply stating that five minute charge times are great - if you are within range of a supercharger. But if you're not, the next best thing is a DC fast charger that is based on CHAdeMO technology. Nissan is driving adoption of CHAdeMO nationwide, so why not take advantage of that if we can? I don't understand why people like you feel that one type of charging technology should come at the exclusion of others when adapters are easy to make.

CHAdeMO is an option just like every other charging standard including the Tesla supercharger. Why exclude one type of adapter when you have built every other kind? And why, according to you, does it have to be one at the exclusion of the other? Having a CHAdeMO adapter gives us one more option - it has nothing to do with whether you, personally, find it useful if there is a CHAdeMO station near you. This has nothing to do with you. There are plenty of us who want the additional option of having a CHAdeMO adapter because we want the option of using those stations.

I am simply stating that five minute charge times are great - if you are within range of a supercharger. But if you're not, the next best thing is a DC fast charger that is based on CHAdeMO technology. Nissan is driving adoption of CHAdeMO nationwide, so why not take advantage of that if we can? I don't understand why people like you feel that one type of charging technology should come at the exclusion of others when adapters are easy to make.

I'm not sure I was the one that said CHAdeMO was mutually exclusive with anything else. You were the one that jumped into a thread on supercharger times complaining about how Tesla was investing its resources.

I asked an honest question about how a CHAdeMO station that was in the city in which you live would be useful, and instead of responding, you wrote that "this has nothing to do with you".

I suppose the main difference is that you're assuming that the adapter is "easy to make" while I'm not making that assumption.
I'm not going to be upset if Tesla makes a CHAdeMO adapter, but neither will that excite me.
but this thread was about superchargers, and 5 minute charging at superchargers would excite me.
As for the assertion that this has nothing to do with me, I think that there are many others like me that are more interested in more and faster superchargers than we are in CHAdeMO.
If I'm wrong, it's a public forum and others can tell me why Tesla should put a higher priority on CHAdeMO.