TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Five Questions: Peter Rawlinson, Tesla Motors Chief Engineer

Discussion in 'News' started by PeterW, Jan 14, 2011.

1. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

Here's the article from "Green Car Report's website:
    What a great article!!! It lays out a much clearer path after the NAIAS presentation. I think Tesla Motors is here to say and EVs are the future.

2. tomsax

tomsax Member

Here's my number one question: will Model S have a J1772 inlet?

3. EV_de

EV_de Model SP10/XP9 EU ZOE#47

... or an Mennekes inlet for the European version ?.....

4. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Me too. If they don't do it, it will be a huge mistake and likely make the Model S much less of a success in my opinion.

5. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

dsm363,
    I think Tesla Motors will move in that direction if the J1772 inlet is or becomes the standard for charging an EV.

6. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

I can't even belive this is a question. 3426054114_43d4658570.jpg

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

7. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#8 TEG, Jan 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
    Does that picture show J1772?

Early photos of Model S demo prototype showed a Tesla connector... 3432630859_6dc1f4c58f_z.jpg
    Then even after it was repainted red we still see a Tesla charge port:
    4403885477_45ac26fa24_z.jpg
    Personally, I do assume production Model S will use J1772, but I don't think they have officially stated that yet.

8. dsm363

Nice find. That does look like a J1772 cable at least in the picture. Has that angled handle on the connector like many of the J1772 cables do.

I agree, I've assumed that they'll use the J1772 connector for awhile now. I can't imagine they would go any other way at this point for a mass market car.

9. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

I took that photo in Menlo Park some time ago, and no it's not J1772. It's the Tesla connector. Even the recent RAV4 EV Tesla conversion had a Tesla connector.

10. dsm363

Oh, thanks. Maybe when they unveil the Alpha protoype they'll indicate if it'll have the J1772 connector or not.

11. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

If you zoom in on the big version of the photo, it does look like the Tesla barrel with a custom strain relief of sorts which gives it that angled J1772 appearance.

12. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Yeah, I didn't think it had J1772. It didn't look like J1772 to me either.
    Yes, it would be nice to see J1772 on the Alpha prototypes to put the question to rest.
    But they could still use Tesla connector for now (since they have so many charging stations installed at their offices), and switch to J1772 for Beta or production.

13. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

That's the way I see it. Everything they have is Tesla so use a Tesla. We might start seeing the J connector when they announce/offer the Roadster fix. Then they would have to start putting in dual charger/adapters in the stores.

Notice I never said it was a J connector in the picture? ;)

14. tomsax

tomsax Member

There is no "if," J1772 is both the official standard and the dominant de-facto standard.

In the US, J1772 is the official standard. Soon there will be 20,000 public Level 2 J1772 charging stations spread across a dozen metro areas, compared to about 20 public Tesla charging stations mostly in California. Even in the Seattle area, where the only "public" Tesla charging station is in the Tesla store and not available 24/7, the Tesla chargers are already outnumbered with just four early adopter ChargePoint installations (7 units) in Bellevue, Redmond, and Woodinville. Now that ECOtality has UL approval on their Blink charger, the floodgates are about to open. Even with less than 1% of the federally funded J1772 chargers in the ground, if they don't already outnumber the public Tesla chargers, it's only a matter of days or weeks before they do.

Even though these federally funded stations only provide 240V/30A, it will be easier to get full 80A J1772 chargers installed than it is to talk business owners into providing chargers exclusively for the minority of Tesla owners.

Tesla has been very generous donating HPWCs for a few critical charging locations. I-5 is enabled for Roadster driving from BC to LA with chargers every 100-150 miles. The referral program that gifts an HPWC to Tesla owners who refer new customers who purchase Roadsters has allowed us to put chargers in spots of interest to local owners. This is all great stuff, but it can't compete with federal funding and the market forces behind the hundreds of thousands of EVs that the big automakers plan to put on the roads in the new few years.

15. Eberhard

Eberhard #421 Model S #S32

I really do not understand, even american power networks are trying to move their customers toward 3-phase power up to 480V to match the demand for high power application?
    With more EV on the road it makes sense to power then with 3-phase as well. Therefore J1772 is an dead end.

16. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I think you may be underestimating how long it will take for the average American house to have readily accessible 3-phase power.
    It is definitely different than Europe here. I think it could be decades away if ever.

17. Eberhard

Eberhard #421 Model S #S32

I expected, america has the best and most advanced technology first - it took around 10 years - in the sixties when the german grid was upgraded from 110 to 220/380 now it is 230/400

18. bobw

bobw Tesla Reader

The USA is bigger. We not only have almost four times as many people, we have 30 times the land area. It's a bigger job in every way.

19. donauker

donauker Member

The grid is actually none of these voltages, in America or anywhere of any significance. The grid is anywhere from a few thousand to many hundreds of thousands of volts. The final voltage delivered to your home is determined by the transformer located just a short distance from your house.

I am fairly certain that there are very few homeowners in the USA that would have the slightest desire to rewire their homes and replace all of their electrical devices and appliances with units that they would have to import from distant locations.