Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fix for “ping pong” effect. So far works great!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I posted this on another thread. I’ve tested over 100 miles and this solved the problem for me.

I was reading an article about the different reboot types for the Tesla. Basically, soft, hard and power off/reset. The power off method actually powers off pretty much everything in the car (it’s eerie not hearing anything while sitting in the car). I did a “Power Off” to see if it would help with the ping pong since I’ve tried everything else.

Go to the “Safety & Security” in settings. Press “POWER OFF” and wait at least two minutes (very important). You will start hearing things power down during that time. After at least two minutes, hit the brake to power on the car. This apparently reboots everything including the cameras and sensors.

On a side note, take out your USB drive before rebooting and put it back in after it boots up if you are having issues with voice commands. This is a known fix by a Tesla support person. There is a bug that doesn’t allow the communications portion of the software to reboot if the USB is in there.

Let me know! I’m very curious (and happy I didn’t get sick on NOA anymore)

What is the "ping pong" effect?

On a side note, take out your USB drive before rebooting and put it back in after it boots up if you are having issues with voice commands. This is a known fix by a Tesla support person. There is a bug that doesn’t allow the communications portion of the software to reboot if the USB is in there.
Sounds like an urban legend type thing (that and 20 other things along with the reboot happened to have worked once for a tech, so now they're telling everyone to do it).

Reactions: motocoder
If you have the “ping pong” effect you will know. Basically, the car is delaying the decision making when correcting the steering while driving. And over correcting when it figures it out. It’s usually most noticeable on corners, but can happen on slight changes on straight roads. The people reporting it are the ones that had similar issues as I did where the car would actually go across the line slightly during a turn and overcorrect and go to the other side of the road and then again over correct until it finally comes back to the center.

it’s happened twice for me before on other updates, but was corrected in updated firmware from from Tesla. That’s why people call it a regression issue (because it’s happened before). This was the worst I’ve ever seen it. The most scary times are next to concert barriers on turns or when a car is coming from the opposite direction.

A lot of people were reporting it, but a lot didn’t have the issues which is why I actually did a poll thinking it was a HW 2.5 issue, but found it was any model having the issue (if they had it). The ones reporting it stopped using NOA all together due to safety issues like myself and I use NOA almost exclusively so it reports a lot of data to Tesla. A Tesla engineer posted a while back that Tesla gets exponentially more data when we use NOA and AP for updating the neural network than just driving.

I’m just glad it fixed the issue after trying all other reboots.

On the voice command correction, that is just obvious. It just doesn’t listen to your voice and the Tesla tech support said to do the USB reboot thing because of a known issue with the update. It will start listening again when you do that reboot without the USB drive plugged in.

Tried this on my model 3 with hw3. I just got an update to 40.50.5 last night, so I'm not sure if it was that or the reset, but my swaying is significantly better than it was before.

Since I picked the car up in October, autopilot has been unusable because of the swaying, for the first time today I actually used it without feeling nauseous.

So I dunno if it was the reset or the update, but either way I'm a happy camper! Thanks Doug!

Tried this on my model 3 with hw3. I just got an update to 40.50.5 last night, so I'm not sure if it was that or the reset, but my swaying is significantly better than it was before.

Since I picked the car up in October, autopilot has been unusable because of the swaying, for the first time today I actually used it without feeling nauseous.

So I dunno if it was the reset or the update, but either way I'm a happy camper! Thanks Doug!
Thanks for letting me know! We just got 2019.40.50.5 today also so I'm hoping they figured out the reset issue on the cars that were having it. Or, if you've had this issue since October, it's very possible this reset resolved it which is great!

I'm glad you actually get to use NOA/AP now! It's really cool when it works and now I know this reset will probably fix it for me if it happens again. Like I said, it happened before twice for me (since September 2018), but eventually newer updates seemed to fix it because I didn't know any other way.

This will be the first thing I do from now on when an update happens.

• Funny
Reactions: GazUK67