TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Fix for Roadster 80A Charging Bug

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by tomsax, Nov 7, 2013.

Tags:
  1. tomsax

tomsax Member

I was traveling when I got the news, so I hadn't reached out to our service center to set up an appointment. I just called and found out the update isn't actually available yet. It's expected in the next few weeks. I updated the first post on this thread to reflect that.

- - - Updated - - -

This choice means that any EV driver, mostly likely totally oblivious to this whole issue, can plug in and charge. Only twin-charger Model S owners have any need for the double-tap and if they don't know it, they still get charging at 90% of their maximum charge rate, and 2.3x what they would get at the vast majority of public charging stations.

Defaulting the other way would mean that the Roadster and Leaf owners who don't spend the majority of their waking hours reading online forums would not be able to charge at all.

I'm incredibly appreciative that the Clipper Creek folks came up with a brilliant solution to a problem that Tesla should have fixed years ago and that Nissan should never have had to begin with.

2. 100thMonkey

100thMonkey Member

Thanks Tom for all your work on this! just talked to Kent/Sun Country and for the time being Sun Country will be going forward with the Dual CS 100 models, for install in WA state. They had quite a few of the original 100's in stock and have had to send them in for upgrading which has delayed things a bit. Sure wish Nissan would hurry up and create a fix for the Leaf, then the dual mode could be done away with.

The speed with which clipper creek came up with a solution was very impressive!

3. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

I was just informed that this firmware fix is not and will not be available for the 1.5 version cars. That sure stinks.

4. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

What!? That blows. Is there a reason why this isn't available? Resources? Since there are two firmware code paths for the 1.5 vs the 2.x? Possibly Henry's engineering work may bail the 1.5 crew out of this one if Tesla doesn't give us any love.

5. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

Will try and find out as I get serviced Thursday and hoped to get the firmware update but instead received a short email saying sorry not an option and will not be an option

6. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

To be clear, I'm totally appreciative of their efforts. I was/am just confused by the design choice.
    I wasn't aware there was an issue in this regard for Leaf. I thought it was just Roadster. Interesting and thanks for sharing.

7. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Well that's the reason right there. It's one thing to educate a few Roadster drivers that they need to push the Start button twice, it's altogether a different matter with many thousands of Leaf drivers.

Definitely better to default it to 90A. Everyone charges immediately upon plug-in. Model S owners with dual chargers can boost it another 10A if they know the "secret handshake". It works for everyone. Makes perfect sense.

Especially since the 1.5 Roadsters aren't getting the 80A fix...

8. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

If you are a 1.5 owner you should call or email your advocate to confirm if this is true or not. Many times we hear things from service centers that turn out not to be accurate. Tom drives a 1.5 and it's hard for me to believe they told him there's an update when there isn't one for his car.

Hope I don't have to make and stock 2 versions of the adapter.

9. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

I inquired about the firmware upgrade and specifically asked if this was for the 1.5 as well and it appears it is from my Tesla Contact:
    "The FW update will be for all Roadsters, 1.5, 2.0 and 2.5."

He also said its a few weeks out still.

10. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

Thank you for the confirmation. Looks like it will be a year out for me unfortunately as I am 300 miles from the service center

11. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

FYI, Ranger fees are now $100 a visit for Roadster too, not just Model S. So it wouldn't be crazy expensive if you really want the update...

12. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

My 2 CS-100's are on their way. Look forward to trying this out when we get them installed. I wonder if there is any kind of notice on the EVSE about this "feature"?

13. asgard

asgard Member

Will it actually charge at 80A or at 70A instead of 55A with the fix? The timing of this fix makes me suspect this is the Roadster coolness Elon referred to in his video.

14. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

It will charge at 70A. Not sure where you got 55A? Currently it won't charge at all if the pilot signal is greater than 72A.

15. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

True, but with me also wanting Tesla to survive as a company I hate them to make a 600 mile trip for a software update. And to the last poster's comment I very much doubt this is the cool surprise for Roadster owners and even with the fix the Roadster will still only charge at 70 amps.

16. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

I just got this word from the New England Service Manager:

17. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

I'm scheduled to have the new firmware flashed this Tuesday, does anyone know of any Clipper Creek CS-100 or any 80amp chargers I can test the fix on?

18. asgard

asgard Member

There are several at any of the Tesla Service centers, or free CS-100s at their Deer Creek headquarters in Palo Alto.
    I charged at Deer Creek at 55A.

19. bart513

bart513 Active Member

Roadster 80 amp Bug Fix Nixed? or just not available yet?

I was disappointed when the service adviser in Queens told me that there is no such bug fix available! Does anyone have other information?
    Thanks!

20. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

It is available getting it installed this weekend.