Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fix for Roadster 80A Charging Bug

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had asked about this a couple of months ago; I just got email from my service center this morning saying it was available. So looks like the flashing discs from engineering are just now hitting the service centers.

I had asked about this a couple of months ago; I just got email from my service center this morning saying it was available. So looks like the flashing discs from engineering are just now hitting the service centers.

I also asked at the SC after they told me last month they couldn't update my firmware because they hadn't received the updated firmware:
"Seriously, you have to have a CD in order to flash my firmware!? You can't download that???"

"Nope" he said. "Have to wait for them to mail a CD."

We both rolled our eyes in wonder.

Just installed the first dual amp capable Sun Country station at my house and have confirmed that the bug fix works, allowing 70A charging on an 80A capable charger! I have had several pre and post upgrade roadsters test the station (which will go on plugshare soon) and the station works for both! now, if Nissan would get its ars in gear and remove the software bug that prevents Leafs (the other half of the EV market here!) from being fully J1772 compatable, Clipper Creek could skip the whole mass production of the dual am charger, which would be great and just go with 80A. Nissan has refused to address this issue and tells me that clipper creek is not their official brand charger so they don't care, grrrrrr! This Leaf and Tesla owner may not be a Nissan customer much longer, are you listening Nissan? .picture man yelling into desolate canyon with echos reverberating :~(... the answer is of course "No", Nissan doesn't seem to give a crap.

Just installed the first dual amp capable Sun Country station at my house and have confirmed that the bug fix works, allowing 70A charging on an 80A capable charger!

Did you test both with and without the secret handshake?

I understand the dual amp station defaults to a 70A pilot, which the Roadster will accept and charge at 70A, but if you hit the start button twice it'll present an 80A pilot, which the Roadster should also now recognize and charge at 70A.

Nissan has refused to address this issue and tells me that clipper creek is not their official brand charger so they don't care, grrrrrr! This Leaf and Tesla owner may not be a Nissan customer much longer, are you listening Nissan? .picture man yelling into desolate canyon with echos reverberating :~(... the answer is of course "No", Nissan doesn't seem to give a crap.
What a horrible thing to believe and even worse to say to customers.

Just installed the first dual amp capable Sun Country station at my house and have confirmed that the bug fix works, allowing 70A charging on an 80A capable charger! I have had several pre and post upgrade roadsters test the station (which will go on plugshare soon) and the station works for both! now, if Nissan would get its ars in gear and remove the software bug that prevents Leafs (the other half of the EV market here!) from being fully J1772 compatable, Clipper Creek could skip the whole mass production of the dual am charger, which would be great and just go with 80A. Nissan has refused to address this issue and tells me that clipper creek is not their official brand charger so they don't care, grrrrrr! This Leaf and Tesla owner may not be a Nissan customer much longer, are you listening Nissan? .picture man yelling into desolate canyon with echos reverberating :~(... the answer is of course "No", Nissan doesn't seem to give a crap.

Sorry if this is OT, but could you explain what software bug prevents the Leafs from using J1772? Do you mean it does not charge on EVSEs above 24/30A?