TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Fix for Roadster 80A Charging Bug

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by tomsax, Nov 7, 2013.

Tags:
  1. bart513

bart513 Active Member

Wow. Am I asking incorrectly or is the service advisor lying or not informed?

2. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

One or the other. The service adviser at the Watertown SC said he actually talked to the engineer who worked on the update. If he's not informed or doesn't understand what you're asking for, have him call Watertown or somebody at HQ in California.

3. ChadS

ChadS Last tank of gas: March 2009. EV miles: 244,000

I had asked about this a couple of months ago; I just got email from my service center this morning saying it was available. So looks like the flashing discs from engineering are just now hitting the service centers.

4. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

I also asked at the SC after they told me last month they couldn't update my firmware because they hadn't received the updated firmware:
    "Seriously, you have to have a CD in order to flash my firmware!? You can't download that???"

"Nope" he said. "Have to wait for them to mail a CD."

We both rolled our eyes in wonder.

5. bart513

bart513 Active Member

OK so I just called Cali and they are calling my local SC to send them the firmware disc

6. Curt

Curt Roadster Signature #55

Mine is at the Rockville, MD SC right now for annual service, and they told me they would do the update. I won't know for sure until I get back in town on Saturday.

7. Curt

Curt Roadster Signature #55

I just picked up my Roadster (1.5) from Annual Service, and the Invoice states that they did a firmware update for the 80Amp charging bug. Roadster reports that the firmware version is now 3.6.12 15.

8. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

It was just installed on my Roadster approximately 2 hours ago. :) They were waiting on the software disks to arrive from the factory.

9. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Funny. I got mine done just this morning too. Glad they finally addressed this.

10. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I'm also having annual service done while there. When I get my Roadster back, I'll drive over to Clipper Creek and repeat the exercise that uncovered the bug to begin with. Just to close the loop ...

11. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Bug fixed! Charging on CS-100 at 70A.

12. slcasner

slcasner Member

I was told this update might include lowering the minimum cruise control speed from 30 to 25. Can anyone with the new firmware check this?

13. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

I've been asking for that for a while. It would be wonderful if someone had listened. 30mph is 48kph, which is too close to the dumb 50kph limits here.

14. tomsax

tomsax Member

Unfortunately, no. I got the firmware update yesterday and tested that on the way home. 30 mph is still the slowest speed allowed on cruise control.

15. tomsax

tomsax Member

The firmware is released. I've updated the first post on this thread with the details on the firmware update.

16. 100thMonkey

100thMonkey Member

Just installed the first dual amp capable Sun Country station at my house and have confirmed that the bug fix works, allowing 70A charging on an 80A capable charger! I have had several pre and post upgrade roadsters test the station (which will go on plugshare soon) and the station works for both! now, if Nissan would get its ars in gear and remove the software bug that prevents Leafs (the other half of the EV market here!) from being fully J1772 compatable, Clipper Creek could skip the whole mass production of the dual am charger, which would be great and just go with 80A. Nissan has refused to address this issue and tells me that clipper creek is not their official brand charger so they don't care, grrrrrr! This Leaf and Tesla owner may not be a Nissan customer much longer, are you listening Nissan? .picture man yelling into desolate canyon with echos reverberating :~(... the answer is of course "No", Nissan doesn't seem to give a crap.

17. djp

djp Roadster 2.0 VIN939

Did you test both with and without the secret handshake?

I understand the dual amp station defaults to a 70A pilot, which the Roadster will accept and charge at 70A, but if you hit the start button twice it'll present an 80A pilot, which the Roadster should also now recognize and charge at 70A.

18. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

What a horrible thing to believe and even worse to say to customers.

19. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

That's crazy! Do they really think Leaf drivers never venture farther than 1/2 their range from home???

20. 772

772 Member

Sorry if this is OT, but could you explain what software bug prevents the Leafs from using J1772? Do you mean it does not charge on EVSEs above 24/30A?