Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fix for Roadster 80A Charging Bug

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just FYI, Scott got Tesla to agree that the Tattler was neither approved nor disapproved, but was okay to be connected. So service was instructed to leave it plugged in after service. OVMS is probably riding on those coattails, as it were.

Just FYI, Scott got Tesla to agree that the Tattler was neither approved nor disapproved, but was okay to be connected. So service was instructed to leave it plugged in after service. OVMS is probably riding on those coattails, as it were.

Yes, we got something similar in the early days.

The issue is that they need to disconnect it to get access to the diag port. If they were then to plug it in again, they would be connecting a third party accessory. Some do, some don't.

Yes, we got something similar in the early days.

The issue is that they need to disconnect it to get access to the diag port. If they were then to plug it in again, they would be connecting a third party accessory. Some do, some don't.

I had this issue when they replaced my switchpack under warranty. They disconnected every third party accessory.

Just had the LA service center upgrade my 2.0 to the latest firmware. I have an OVMS. They upgraded the firmware and reconnected my OVMS without any problems. Everything seems to work fine. I now need to have Clipper Creek send me the programmer for my HPC so I can upgrade it to output 75A instead of 70 (since I replaced the Roadster connector with the 75A J1772 end).

Just had the LA service center upgrade my 2.0 to the latest firmware. I have an OVMS. They upgraded the firmware and reconnected my OVMS without any problems. Everything seems to work fine. I now need to have Clipper Creek send me the programmer for my HPC so I can upgrade it to output 75A instead of 70 (since I replaced the Roadster connector with the 75A J1772 end).

not sure I would bother as there is very little time difference in charging and I am not sure the Roadster could even use the 5 extra amps.

You're correct. The Roadster will still continue to charge at 70A but my Model S could now charge at 75A.

Although the cable is rated at 75 Amps, isn't the HPC supposed to be installed with a 90 Amp circuit breaker. The limit for continuous draw would then be 80% of 90 Amps or 72 Amps. 72 is better than 70, but not by much; is the reprogramming worth it?

Although the cable is rated at 75 Amps, isn't the HPC supposed to be installed with a 90 Amp circuit breaker. The limit for continuous draw would then be 80% of 90 Amps or 72 Amps. 72 is better than 70, but not by much; is the reprogramming worth it?

I agree. This is why I haven't bothered to have Clipper Creek send me the programmer. 70A has been fine for 5 years with the Roadster and 1.5 years for the Model S so why rock the boat and change anything.

Never mind. Found the first post with the 4.6.8 firmware. So now I have to wonder why they haven't updated my car when it was in the shop.

Can someone who has this fix report what their firmware version is? My 2.5 Roadster is at 4.6.5 and has not been updated for over a year. I guess I do not have the fix. My car has been in for some work just a month ago and no update. (I didn't ask about it. Not high on my radar.)
The version number appears in gray shortly when the car is started.
The Tesla website has firmware release notes that mention 4.6.4 having the HID headlight support.

Last edited:
Can someone who has this fix report what their firmware version is? My 2.5 Roadster is at 4.6.5 and has not been updated for over a year. I guess I do not have the fix. My car has been in for some work just a month ago and no update. (I didn't ask about it. Not high on my radar.)
The version number appears in gray shortly when the car is started.
The Tesla website has firmware release notes that mention 4.6.4 having the HID headlight support.

The thread has the version for the 1.5, (3.6.12 15), but not the 2.x:
Fix for Roadster 80A Charging Bug - Page 7

Last edited:
The thread has the version for the 1.5, (3.6.12 15), but not the 2.x:
Fix for Roadster 80A Charging Bug - Page 7
I updated the first post with firmware versions for both Roadster versions when it was released in January.

Note that the fourth number, the 15, is a hardware version number that doesn't change with firmware updates. Your number may differ. To confirm you have the right firmware, just make sure you have 3.6.12 (v1.5) or 4.6.8 (v2.x).

The new SCH CS-100 chargers have a dual mode 70/80 amp pilot signal. I had a Roadster visit our office yesterday, and it seemed to work just fine with the 70 amp setting.

Clipper Creek put in that 70A/80A mode to get around the Roadster firmware bug. The new firmware should make this mode in the the CS-100 unnecessary. A Roadster with up to date firmware should be able to charge at 70A with an 80A pilot, and the 70A mode is unneeded.

Clipper Creek put in that 70A/80A mode to get around the Roadster firmware bug. The new firmware should make this mode in the the CS-100 unnecessary. A Roadster with up to date firmware should be able to charge at 70A with an 80A pilot, and the 70A mode is unneeded.

I have the new Roadster firmware and have verified (at Clipper Creek) that my Roadster now can charge at 70A with an 80A pilot. Since this is the same location, car, and ClipperCreek EVSE where the bug was first discovered, I feel pretty confident in stating it is no longer an issue :).

Will the Leaf charge with a 70A pilot, or does it need lower?

Yes, LEAF charges from 70A pilot.

LEAF charging at 70A (capable) Tesla/Clipper-Creek EVSE at Atascadero Rabobank:
Leaf5.jpg

Of course it will only be drawing 3.3kW or 6.0kW [depending on which version of LEAF charger in the car.]

Last edited: