Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fix found for AP panic alongside HGVs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone with AP knows that it can have a tendency to get upset when passing HGVs that are straying too close or slightly over their lane lines while the driver takes a dump or cooks breakfast or something, and the violent phantom-braking and aborts when changing lane towards and HGV with EAP enabled.

I think I've found an interim solution which is to just very gently tap the accelerator pedal at the start of the manoeuvre for a lane change, or while passing the HGV. It literally needs to be just the lightest touch and it seems to be giving the car the nod that you're happy for the car to move or keep going. I have an almost 100% success rate now changing lanes near HGVs doing this.

You can also encourage it to make lane changes into pretty small gaps by tapping the accelerator once the indicator is on.

Totally unrelated but also discovered that if the car proposes the lane change, you only need to half-tap the indicator stalk to get it going.