Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a used M3 coloured MSM and the previous owner did not put on PPF. It’s difficult to see in the picture, but the front is chewed up from tons of rock chips. Anyone know how I can fix this (and the approximate cost)?

I will eventually get PPF for just the front bumper as the rest of the car has no issues. Until then, any suggested preventative measures once it’s fixed?

Attachments

• C22A26EE-9E1B-4FDC-B43E-93DB765F98B1.jpeg
    C22A26EE-9E1B-4FDC-B43E-93DB765F98B1.jpeg
    415.7 KB · Views: 1,991
It is hard to give a recommendation without seeing the panel in person. From the pic, it looks like several of the rock chips went through the clearcoat and chipped the colored paint base layer. You could get some touch up paint and use it on the largest chips. My guess is that it is not going to look very good with this method and that, given the numerous chips and given how deep some of them are, it would be best to take it to a Tesla authorized body shop and have them repaint the entire panel. Make sure to ask them how long the paint has to cure before you apply PPF to the repainted panel.

I've read you can buy a pre-painted bumper from Tesla pretty inexpensively. I think I recall seeing something like $500.

Replacing the bumper maybe cheaper than protecting it with ppf.

I had to replace my left front fender, so I have some personal experience with this issue. The problem with buying a replacement bumper is that there are sometimes small but noticeable variations in the same color from one batch of paint to another. So even though you can order a replacement part with the same color, it may actually look like a slightly different color.

BTW, having PPF placed on one panel is not outrageously expensive. I had to replace the PPF on my front fender. The total cost for material and labor was $300. And this was with the top of the line Xpel PPF film.

I had to replace my left front fender, so I have some personal experience with this issue. The problem with buying a replacement bumper is that there are sometimes small but noticeable variations in the same color from one batch of paint to another. So even though you can order a replacement part with the same color, it may actually look like a slightly different color.

BTW, having PPF placed on one panel is not outrageously expensive. I had to replace the PPF on my front fender. The total cost for material and labor was $300. And this was with the top of the line Xpel PPF film.
300, that’s it? Wow that’s a really good deal. Would you mind sharing where you went? I have to check them out

Respray and PPF. Other panels WILL take a beating from road debris. (i.e. rusted rocker panel thread here) FWIW my hood, 1 headlight, front bumper all have small marks/divots from impacts - the entire front and rockers have STEK PPF.

Just last week something hit the right side "hip" (behind door - in front of wheel) right in the center of the PPF. Thankfully my installer covered that area.

TOP TIP: any forward facing surface should be protected. (front end, mirrors, pillars, ext. rockers. Even rear bumper area behind tires.

Reactions: joebruin77