Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fix-it Ticket : No Front Plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Need makes a good point. Let's get down to the root cause: Here in California, not having a front plate is illegal . Meter maids aside, I have never heard of anyone getting pulled over solely for not having a front license plate so it would stand to reason that if one never does anything illegal that would compel a cop to pull them over, then one could drive your car without a front license plate with impunity. Right? .

At least in the East Bay (Alameda Co, Contra Costa Co), there are cops who will pull you over just for missing front license plates. My parents got singled out, along with another car, during bumper to bumper commute (on the back streets, not on freeway) just for a missing license plate ticket.

I don't know if this will pass the inspection, but for those who want to temporarily install a front plate, nothing is easier or cheaper than this. And because it tightens against the back of the grill, it won't damage the grill if someone backs into it while parking.

Once you drill two holes into the license plate frame, it takes 3 minutes to install and 12 minute to remove. Couldn't be easier. I install when I might have to park at meters (meter maids in SF aggressively ticket for missing front plates).

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-...oncrete-Anchors-Drill-Bit-Included/1000103105

Sorry for the typo. I meant 1 minute to remove.

I like the amazon suction cup solution!
if necessary, it will stay on 70+ mph,
but comes off very easily! no PPF required!

☰ suction.jpg ☰ suction front.jpg

If I want to just pay it without actually showing proof of fixing it..how do I do that?

looks like most of the attachments to avoid permanently affixing the plate cost ~$100, figure I might as well pay the ticket once and see if I get another at some point. Then again only had the car 6 months before this one

If I want to just pay it without actually showing proof of fixing it..how do I do that?

looks like most of the attachments to avoid permanently affixing the plate cost ~$100, figure I might as well pay the ticket once and see if I get another at some point. Then again only had the car 6 months before this one
I don’t think that is an option in CA

Are you tightening the plate holder against the lower bumper as you tighten the long screws that go into the grill??

Yes, the plate holder wedges perfectly along the top bumper AND the lower bumper. The butterfly nut slides in between two slats of the vent. Then you twist the screw so the butterfly nut goes vertical and lodges against the vent slats. Hand tighten the screws at the thread until the license plate frame wedges against the bumpers.

Reminds me to special order my plates! I don't have it installed in the front and have passed many cops.

If I stay safe and don't get proactively ticketed I should be fine, although they might add it on to a ticket, in which case I'll install it.

Or you could just make friends with a cop and have him sign off everytime it happens like I do with my window tint. :) .

One mans definition of corruption is another mans definition of connections lol.

So when Tesla had a spoiler and badge install event, a dragnet could have nailed hundreds of cars for no front license plate or window tint at zero effort. The cars come to them.

Thankfully the nearest doughnut shop was 7 miles away and it would have been too much effort to deploy the task force.

• Funny
Reactions: Sandollars
So you feel entitled to pick and choose which laws you will obey? Oh.
Indeed I do! Laws were made to be broken right? Never gone over the speed limit on a public road? Would you shoot a mountain lion if it was attacking your dog? Ever watched a movie you didn't pay for or copied a song you didn't purchase? Installed something without a permit? Walked across a street when you were not at a crosswalk? Drank when you were underaged? Light off a firework in the middle of the desert? :p

Last edited:

Depends if it is marked "Correctable" or not that determines if they send you a bill, I believe. I had one marked "Not correctable" many years back where they wanted something like $70 but I got it signed off and sent in $10 or whatever it was. I zip tied it on lol.

Go get some regular double sided tape at the store. Use that to attach your plate temporarily and get it signed off. If you use the tape on the back of the holder from Tesla, it's permanent. It may be easier to go to your local PD's community station for less hassle.

recommendations for "looks permanent but actually removable" front plates? Do the cops actually buy those?

What happens if I get another one in the future?

I like the amazon suction cup solution!
if necessary, it will stay on 70+ mph,
but comes off very easily! no PPF required!

View attachment 376450 View attachment 376451

Yup! TMC people did this 5 years ago with the Model S. Mainly for parking and fix it tickets. Yet another (crazy) front plate solution