TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Fix-it Ticket : No Front Plate

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Lunares, Feb 11, 2019 at 10:03 AM.

1. mmccking

mmccking Member

3 fix-it tickets across 3 cars in 3 years ever since parking in SF. The SJ officer told me that 90% of her 150+ sign-offs/week came from SF.

2. KSilver2000

KSilver2000 Member

At least in the East Bay (Alameda Co, Contra Costa Co), there are cops who will pull you over just for missing front license plates. My parents got singled out, along with another car, during bumper to bumper commute (on the back streets, not on freeway) just for a missing license plate ticket.

3. sroh

sroh Member

4. sroh

sroh Member

Sorry for the typo. I meant 1 minute to remove.

5. timk225

timk225 Active Member

For the most part, but not entirely, it seems like states that don't require front plates are the states that vote Republican. :cool:

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  6. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

7. davekr

davekr Member

I like the amazon suction cup solution!
    if necessary, it will stay on 70+ mph,
    but comes off very easily! no PPF required!

☰ suction.jpg ☰ suction front.jpg

• Like x 3
  8. Fusion

Fusion Member

Could you take a picture of where the holes need to be drilled? Thanks in advance.

9. Lunares

Lunares Member

If I want to just pay it without actually showing proof of fixing it..how do I do that?

looks like most of the attachments to avoid permanently affixing the plate cost ~$100, figure I might as well pay the ticket once and see if I get another at some point. Then again only had the car 6 months before this one

10. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

I don’t think that is an option in CA

11. Zorak03

Zorak03 Member

When I lived in Chicago a lot of the car show guys used to use one of these. They would retract and pull the plate out of view. The only problem is if you live in a cold climate they can freeze shut and occasionally break.

12. sroh

sroh Member

Yes, the plate holder wedges perfectly along the top bumper AND the lower bumper. The butterfly nut slides in between two slats of the vent. Then you twist the screw so the butterfly nut goes vertical and lodges against the vent slats. Hand tighten the screws at the thread until the license plate frame wedges against the bumpers.

13. sroh

sroh Member

Sorry I don't have any photos. I found an ebay listing for basically the same thing. But it's right at the creases on the license plate frame. You can see a photo here, where the screws are. Hope that helps!

No-Hole Tesla Model 3 Front License Plate Installation kit | eBay

14. pitabun

pitabun Member

Reminds me to special order my plates! I don't have it installed in the front and have passed many cops.

If I stay safe and don't get proactively ticketed I should be fine, although they might add it on to a ticket, in which case I'll install it.

15. Sammydee

Sammydee Member

So you feel entitled to pick and choose which laws you will obey? Oh.

• Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  16. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

One mans definition of corruption is another mans definition of connections lol.

So when Tesla had a spoiler and badge install event, a dragnet could have nailed hundreds of cars for no front license plate or window tint at zero effort. The cars come to them.

Thankfully the nearest doughnut shop was 7 miles away and it would have been too much effort to deploy the task force.

• Funny x 1
  17. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

The states that ticket you for front plates also don’t protect you from being victimized from smash and grabs. This is real life. :(

• Like x 4
  18. Glamisduner

Glamisduner Active Member

#38 Glamisduner, Feb 11, 2019 at 10:26 PM
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 10:31 PM
    Indeed I do! Laws were made to be broken right? Never gone over the speed limit on a public road? Would you shoot a mountain lion if it was attacking your dog? Ever watched a movie you didn't pay for or copied a song you didn't purchase? Installed something without a permit? Walked across a street when you were not at a crosswalk? Drank when you were underaged? Light off a firework in the middle of the desert? :p

• Like x 3
    • Love x 3
  19. NathanielHrnblwr

Depends if it is marked "Correctable" or not that determines if they send you a bill, I believe. I had one marked "Not correctable" many years back where they wanted something like $70 but I got it signed off and sent in $10 or whatever it was. I zip tied it on lol.

Go get some regular double sided tape at the store. Use that to attach your plate temporarily and get it signed off. If you use the tape on the back of the holder from Tesla, it's permanent. It may be easier to go to your local PD's community station for less hassle.

20. Dre78

Dre78 Member

Yup! TMC people did this 5 years ago with the Model S. Mainly for parking and fix it tickets. Yet another (crazy) front plate solution