Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fix-it Ticket : No Front Plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 376357

Massachusetts is a unique case for license plate mounting. Before the introduction of the current "Spirit of America" base starting in 1986 for commercial vehicles, as well as vanity plates in 1988 for all other vehicles, the state issued only a single green-on-white plate to be mounted on the rear bumper. With the current-issue base, two plates are issued and are to be mounted on both the front and rear bumpers. Since all license plates issued since 1978 are currently valid, most passenger vehicles registered in Massachusetts display two plates, but those with the older green-on-white plates display only one.

I was too young to get a green plate. But NOW..you can tell which drivers to avoid on the roads by these plates.

in MA, plates stay with the driver, so the YOUNGEST MA drivers with green plates are 47, which isn't old, but the majority of green plate-holders in MA are much older.

If you see a Prius with a green plate, leave them a lot of room.

Reactions: devilmountain
Get it signed off and submitted before you get fined. This is usually 30 days. The factory plate holder for the front is with tape only. Just uncover a little of the tape get it signed off and then remove it. If you get another fix it, you will have to do the same again. I've taken the front plate off in the police parking lot immediately after getting signed off! :D

I must have done this about 6 times with my old BMW in SF. Cop would always give me a fix it ticket. I had a photo saved in my phone from when I taped the plate on. I would then take it in to the police station and they would sign off on it and get rid of it. Was a bit of effort but better than drilling holes in the front bumper.

Sure, it's basically this. But I just purchased the screws at a hardware store.

No-Hole Tesla Model 3 Front License Plate Installation kit

Thanks, for $11 w/shipping I just ordered it. I don't normally run with my front plate but this will be handy for times I am going to be parking in the city or elsewhere that I might pick up a ticket.

I've been stopped once for not having a front plate and was given a warning, but that was about 15 years ago. I'm sure cops still pull people over for no front plate but they seem to have more to worry about lately, like writing speeding tickets, eating donuts and confiscating people's property.

Thanks, for $11 w/shipping I just ordered it. I don't normally run with my front plate but this will be handy for times I am going to be parking in the city or elsewhere that I might pick up a ticket.

I've been stopped once for not having a front plate and was given a warning, but that was about 15 years ago. I'm sure cops still pull people over for no front plate but they seem to have more to worry about lately, like writing speeding tickets, eating donuts and confiscating people's property.

The seller is a forum user here @kpalaniswami. I bought his original sets for Model X last year and it works really well and look great on my wife's X. She parks her car in the cities that always gives out parking ticket with no front plate and I got tired of paying them. I bought the Model 3 set from him in Dec last year on ebay (same price as etsy). I will put it on if I ever get a no front plate ticket and just leave it there.

So you feel entitled to pick and choose which laws you will obey? Oh.

Absolutely! I regularly jaywalk when it's safe and almost never stay under the speed limit when traffic is free flowing on the freeway. I am just a rebel that way!

If you go in to a police station's parking lot where the officers park there private cars, I guarantee you there will be more than a handful of them without front plates plus front tinted windows.

Exactly which states protect people from smash and grabs? And how is that accomplished?

Please don’t be dense. A few who agree with me know what’s up.

States that imprison window smashers would be a good start.

One state that doesn’t do it is California.

Incidents like this would be international news in Singapore. They beat that ass. Literally and figuratively.

Last edited:
View attachment 376357

Pink states explained:

Some common exceptions include trailers, which are issued only one plate, even in states that otherwise issue two plates to all passenger vehicles, while certain other non-passenger types, such as apportioned, may be issued in pairs even in states that otherwise issue only rear plates to passenger vehicles. Pennsylvania, for example, requires a front plate for semi-trailer trucks.[31] Some vanity and specialty plates in Arizona and Kansas are issued in pairs, but only the rear plate is required on the vehicle; the front plate is free and fully optional.

In January 2012, the Texas legislature inadvertently removed the penalty for driving without a front license plate. As a result, the law required front and rear license plates on passenger vehicles, but stated no penalty for non compliance. Realizing the mistake, the legislature eventually reinstated the $200 fine in September 2013.[32]

Massachusetts is a unique case for license plate mounting. Before the introduction of the current "Spirit of America" base starting in 1986 for commercial vehicles, as well as vanity plates in 1988 for all other vehicles, the state issued only a single green-on-white plate to be mounted on the rear bumper. With the current-issue base, two plates are issued and are to be mounted on both the front and rear bumpers. Since all license plates issued since 1978 are currently valid, most passenger vehicles registered in Massachusetts display two plates, but those with the older green-on-white plates display only one.

In Nevada, all motor vehicles, with the exception of motorcycles and trailers, are issued two license plates. According to state law, most standard passenger vehicles issued two plates are required to display them on both the front and rear bumpers of the vehicle. Display of the front license plate, however, is optional for vehicles that either were not designed to have a front plate, or the manufacturer did not provide a plate bracket or other means for front display of a license plate.[33] As a result, the law to display both the front and rear plates is rarely enforced, and it is not uncommon for owners of vehicles with Nevada license plates to remove the manufacturer-supplied front license plate brackets from their vehicles and display only the rear plate.[34] In 2015, Wyoming passed a law, similar to Nevada, that does not require a front license plate on vehicles that either are not specifically designed to have a front plate, or the manufacturer did not provide a plate bracket or other means for front display of a license plate.[35] Nebraska passed an identical law in 2016.[36] In 2017, Montana also passed a similar law, exempting such passenger vehicles from displaying a front plate but requiring motorists to first obtain approval from the Montana Highway Patrol.[37]

South Dakota will issue passenger vehicles a single rear plate for a $25 fee, but only if the vehicle will be driven less than 6,000 miles (9,700 km) every year.[38]

In 2016, Iowa attempted to pass a law that exempts "vintage" vehicles and two-seat, low-profile sports cars, like Corvettes, from the front license plate requirement. Originally, the bill was meant to repeal the front license plate requirement for all vehicles, but was amended as a compromise.[39] The bill was later withdrawn.[40]

I held on to our Green and White plate in MA for a long time. It was very faded and was warned several times by inspection that they would not pass it again. There are services to get them refinished like new. But very expensive and takes a week without your plate. When I saw the Model 3 bracket was just stuck on, I didn't care that much. The dealer had also drilled holes on the prior car (VW) for the license bracket when specifically asked not too. And had to live with plugs that refused to hold paint and looked worse than having a plate, ugh. So I gave up on Model 3.

I don't think any states can protect from 'smash & grabs'
butt they can sure dissuade by prosecuting them...

so we have government deciding which laws they
choose to obey, as in overlooking 'smash & grabs!'
It's pretty hard for law enforcement to really do anything about smash and grabs unless you have a video of the incident. I'm hoping that Sentry mode will help with this.