Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fix one "problem" but create another. Short charging cables - rubbing on the paintwork?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Billbrown1982

TM3 LR 2021 | Red | FSD
Dec 21, 2020
Basildon
So, I purchased a nice short charging cable because I didn't want to have the standard long one running along the floor, getting dirty, potential trip hazard, etc etc.

However, My nice short cable now sits against the back bumper of the car.

I imagine over time, with wind moving the cable, its going to rub potentially hurt the paintwork?

Anyone got any suggestions? did think about wrapping that pipe insulating stuff around the cable, but then there's still something thats going to rub against the paint, allbeit foam rather than plastic.

I'm wondering if I should just go back to the longer cable....although even that is liable to hang down the side of the car where it comes out the charging port?

use something like this to hold the cable close to the wall and away from your car?

I'm wondering if I should just go back to the longer cable....although even that is liable to hang down the side of the car where it comes out the charging port?
Because of the connector itself holding the cable out a bit I don’t find that a long cable makes any contact with bodywork. Unfortunately it does look like you’ve gone too short. Somebody may be interested in a swap perhaps?

slightly similar i've noted a few days ago my wall charger has a rubber cap for the cable when it's unplugged and as the wind blows it around there is a clean spot where the dust has been rubbed away - I think i'm gonna remove it and keep it in the house for the rare times the included wall dock may break, don't want to increase the micro scratching!!! PS. I really NEED to wash my M3 soon!!!

slightly similar i've noted a few days ago my wall charger has a rubber cap for the cable when it's unplugged and as the wind blows it around there is a clean spot where the dust has been rubbed away - I think i'm gonna remove it and keep it in the house for the rare times the included wall dock may break, don't want to increase the micro scratching!!! PS. I really NEED to wash my M3 soon!!!

Definitely remove it. They serve no useful purpose (and if you put the cap back on when there's dampness in there it's not going to dry out).

My charger is tethered so didn't want to cut off the cover, but I just put an elastic band around it so that when it's plugged in the cover can't go anywhere. A bit Blue Peter but it does the job (I might buy a black elastic band though so that it maintains some aesthetic appeal :D)

My charger is tethered so didn't want to cut off the cover, but I just put an elastic band around it so that when it's plugged in the cover can't go anywhere. A bit Blue Peter but it does the job (I might buy a black elastic band though so that it maintains some aesthetic appeal :D)

Another option that might suit some people is if your tethered charge point doesn't have a built-in holster/socket you can buy one to attach to the wall beside it. Though I have one on the Zappi I find it more convenient to leave the cable unwound and plug it into a socket that I've fitted to the outside of the garage which is at the closest point to the car's charge flap. Plugging and unplugging takes less than 10 seconds because I don't wind up or unwind the cable (too messy for some I suspect!!)

Get a longer cable would be ideal although they can be quite expensive. I am using a 10m one and I got it for 340£ if I remember well. I could easily use a 5 meter one but it was handy when I had a skip on the drive, my wife's car and then mine (I leave first in the morning). 10 meters was just enough ;)

Cheers for all the suggestions guys. Sorry been a bit busy getting ripped off on my wife's Toyota to even think about this....but I'll put something into place next week as a fix! Got a feeling the hook solution might be the way forward so nothing is touching the car at all.