Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fix out-of-focus rear camera?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Musterion

18h 03m 37s −24° 23′ 12″
Jan 10, 2013
M8
I had no idea before (kind of like not knowing you need glasses before you get them), but after I drove a P85 loaner I realized my backup camera is noticeably out of focus. I've tried both cars in the same place and you can tell especially on sharp edges and seeing license plates and other details. Is there a way to adjust the focus on the camera?

Note I have tech package HD camera (although I guess shouldn't matter since it was revealed all cars have the same HD camera), and the comparison loaner car was manufactured same month as mine and very close in VIN number. And yes I've cleaned the lens and checked for other obstructions.

I noticed this as well when I had a loaner car, the camera was much sharper...

I had no idea before (kind of like not knowing you need glasses before you get them), but after I drove a P85 loaner I realized my backup camera is noticeably out of focus. I've tried both cars in the same place and you can tell especially on sharp edges and seeing license plates and other details. Is there a way to adjust the focus on the camera?

Note I have tech package HD camera (although I guess shouldn't matter since it was revealed all cars have the same HD camera), and the comparison loaner car was manufactured same month as mine and very close in VIN number. And yes I've cleaned the lens and checked for other obstructions.

On a very wide angle lens like that it's not likely a focus issue. I suspect they are fixed focus lenses in fact. Have you checked to be sure your lens isn't dirty?

As I said in my original post, figuring your suggestion of cleaning the lens would be the stock answer, yes I have double checked and cleaned the lens and also checked for scratches, etc. The image is definitely out of focus. You are right there is a fixed focal length, which makes everything uniformly out of focus regardless of distance. Whether the camera focus can be changed in place without replacing the camera is the question.

As I said in my original post, figuring your suggestion of cleaning the lens would be the stock answer, yes I have double checked and cleaned the lens and also checked for scratches, etc. The image is definitely out of focus. You are right there is a fixed focal length, which makes everything uniformly out of focus regardless of distance. Whether the camera focus can be changed in place without replacing the camera is the question.

With a wide angle lens of a fixed focal length and aperture something will be in focus at some focal distance unless the lens is displaced in relation to the sensor. The wider the focal length the greater the depth of field (area in focus) for a particular aperture. Hence, it seems unlikely that this is a true "focus" issue as we usually think of it...maybe it is, but I'm not sure ti makes sense. Perhaps the entire camera needs to be replaced.

I had this exact same problem. I thought my camera was fine until I got a loaner and realized that my camera was very out of focus. Just ask for a side by side comparison of your camera to the loaners, it was easy to see the difference. The Service Center ordered me a new camera and it only took about 30 minutes to install it, completely fixed the issue.