Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fixed all my rattles from the rear seat and hatch!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I was driving around and trying to nail down where I was hearing several rattles coming from the rear interior of the car. Definitely from the seat, even though I have the "fixed" version that is aligned, and more rattles from the hatch. Here's what I did to get rid of ALL rattles. I never had the sound of the back seats rubbing together like others have had.

Rattle from the "replacement" seats that do not have the alignment issue:
  • The top of the rear seat panels were not snapped into the frame all the way. It wasn't obvious to the naked eye (no panel gaps), but when I pressed around the perimeter of each carpeted seat back cover, I heard 2-3 "click" sounds per cover where it was clear that the plastic snap connectors were being properly homed into the rear seat frame
Other assorted rattles from the rear
  • Adjusted the rubber bumpers for the hatch by following a YouTube video. They were WAY off. Only one of 3 of the bumpers was touching where they should have been on the body. The other 3 required significant adjustment. The hatch sounds better when it closes, and no low-frequency sound buffeting on the highway any longer.
  • It was clear when pressing around on the black plastic hatch interior trim that there were at least 5 places across both trim planes where they weren't attached properly. I could easily pull on the ends and get a 1 inch or more gap on the passenger side of the lower panel, there was 1 inch of play in the middle near the interior hatch light, and the trim around the 3rd brake light was ready to fall off.
    • I took all the trim down. It took very little effort, and it was clear many snap connectors were not snapped into place.
    • Found that 2 of the white snap connectors were not even attached - one was stuck in the metal hatch, one was laying inside the trim panel
    • Re-attached the white snap connectors to the black plastic trim
    • Re-attached the trim around the 3rd-brake light, and found that I had to spend about 3-4 min actually feeling around to really make sure every snap-connector was homed properly. This plastic is quite flexible, so patience here is important. There is a drastic improvement in how this piece is attached to the rear hatch
    • Re-attached the bottom trim to the hatch. This took patience to really get snapped in. I easily spent another 5-6 minutes making sure I heard a positive snap of each connector into place. I no longer can pull down the edges of the panel easily, and a drastic improvement in how this piece is secured to the rear hatch.
Once I completed re-installing the rear hatch trim, I drove around for about 15 min, going over rough rode, railroad crossings, and other places where I was hearing an embarrassing level of rattles and sounds from the rear over the past 2 days. Now I here ZERO rattles, and the car is much more pleasant to drive.

Hope this helps others out!
I think I have the same thing on my seat backs as they seem loose. My rattle goes away when I recline the seat. Any advice on how to get these to stay in place? I am trying to get them in with no success.

So I was driving around and trying to nail down where I was hearing several rattles coming from the rear interior of the car. Definitely from the seat, even though I have the "fixed" version that is aligned, and more rattles from the hatch. Here's what I did to get rid of ALL rattles. I never had the sound of the back seats rubbing together like others have had.

Rattle from the "replacement" seats that do not have the alignment issue:
  • The top of the rear seat panels were not snapped into the frame all the way. It wasn't obvious to the naked eye (no panel gaps), but when I pressed around the perimeter of each carpeted seat back cover, I heard 2-3 "click" sounds per cover where it was clear that the plastic snap connectors were being properly homed into the rear seat frame
Other assorted rattles from the rear
  • Adjusted the rubber bumpers for the hatch by following a YouTube video. They were WAY off. Only one of 3 of the bumpers was touching where they should have been on the body. The other 3 required significant adjustment. The hatch sounds better when it closes, and no low-frequency sound buffeting on the highway any longer.
  • It was clear when pressing around on the black plastic hatch interior trim that there were at least 5 places across both trim planes where they weren't attached properly. I could easily pull on the ends and get a 1 inch or more gap on the passenger side of the lower panel, there was 1 inch of play in the middle near the interior hatch light, and the trim around the 3rd brake light was ready to fall off.
    • I took all the trim down. It took very little effort, and it was clear many snap connectors were not snapped into place.
    • Found that 2 of the white snap connectors were not even attached - one was stuck in the metal hatch, one was laying inside the trim panel
    • Re-attached the white snap connectors to the black plastic trim
    • Re-attached the trim around the 3rd-brake light, and found that I had to spend about 3-4 min actually feeling around to really make sure every snap-connector was homed properly. This plastic is quite flexible, so patience here is important. There is a drastic improvement in how this piece is attached to the rear hatch
    • Re-attached the bottom trim to the hatch. This took patience to really get snapped in. I easily spent another 5-6 minutes making sure I heard a positive snap of each connector into place. I no longer can pull down the edges of the panel easily, and a drastic improvement in how this piece is secured to the rear hatch.
Once I completed re-installing the rear hatch trim, I drove around for about 15 min, going over rough rode, railroad crossings, and other places where I was hearing an embarrassing level of rattles and sounds from the rear over the past 2 days. Now I here ZERO rattles, and the car is much more pleasant to drive.

Hope this helps others out!
Do you have a link to the YouTube video on adjusting bumpers? Thx

I did all the OP's fixes and still have shudders and rattles in the rear. One of them turns out to be that the pins in the headliner along the rear hatch won't stay seated. I replaced them and they still pop out. It's like something is applying downward force (other than just gravity) and overpowering the pins. I have SC scheduled for next week. They said they're going to replace the whole rear headliner which is apparently a big job, so not mobile. Hope it's the final issue back there.

Reactions: DerbyCityY
Would any of you do these many adjustments on brand new car other than Tesla brand?

Clearly, there is no quality mind set here at all. it's all about qty vs quality for Tesla and unfortunately customer have no leverage there...