Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FIXED- Inside Tire Wear Problem 2015 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been going through two full sets of tires each year due to very bad inside wear on all four tires, but mainly the front set. The rest of the tread had normal wear, but there was an inner 1-2" wear that was horrible. I picked up my usual bi-annual set of tires about 8 months ago. This time I lowered the tire pressure in all four tires to 35-36PSI. I started to ignore the tire pressure warning light and I am still going strong on my 8-month set of tires with even wear on all four. Driving habits and roadway (mountain roads) commute hasn't changed.

2015 Model S 21"

The alignment was within specs the Tesla specs, unfortunately.
"within spec" can still be disastrously bad. Tesla doesn't even offer an actual camber setting spec, so that could be +1.0 on one side and -3.0 on the other side and technically it would still be "within tesla specs". Then you have to consider tesla does the alignment in the medium height setting instead of the low setting, so the camber changes when it lowers.

Take your car to a race shop that does alignments based on needs and let them do it properly.

Lowering pressures by 10psi is not good nor safe. You’re building up more heat a la Firestone/Ford Exploder days (for you old timers out there 😀).
You don’t mention how many miles you’re getting, whether it’s a square setup, which specific tire, etc.
However, as others have said, if you’ve had an alignment done recently, please publish the results. Rear inner tire wear is inherent to our cars and can only be helped by installing adjustable camber arms.

Reactions: aerodyne
I have been going through two full sets of tires each year due to very bad inside wear on all four tires, but mainly the front set. The rest of the tread had normal wear, but there was an inner 1-2" wear that was horrible. I picked up my usual bi-annual set of tires about 8 months ago. This time I lowered the tire pressure in all four tires to 35-36PSI. I started to ignore the tire pressure warning light and I am still going strong on my 8-month set of tires with even wear on all four. Driving habits and roadway (mountain roads) commute hasn't changed.

2015 Model S 21"
So I have a 2015 P85D 21" and have run Contis (36-38k kms), Michelin Pilot Sports (32k kms) and have just fitted the new Hankook Ion EV tyre. Front inside edges on last set of Contis wore through to canvas on inside of tyre, not where tread is (was!), and Tesla have rebuilt front end at my expense ($1700) to replace soft bushes, etc. They also did a 4W alignment, told me they would set at minimum spec negative camber but won't tell me what that is. The Michelins on rear did likewise to the fronts, wore through to canvas above the tread line even though 3mm+ left in centre of tread.

At normal/standard setting at present by my rough measurement (iPhone) is about 1.5deg negative camber and if I drive over a wet patch can clearly see more inside edge touches than outside edge. I have turned off auto lowering (used to set at 90 kph) so it won't ever go below standard now, looking for any other ideas. Really p.....s me off to throw away a $600+ tyre with over 3mm remaining on most of the tread.

Attachments

• IMG_9811 2.JPG
    IMG_9811 2.JPG
    503.1 KB · Views: 99
So I have a 2015 P85D 21" and have run Contis (36-38k kms), Michelin Pilot Sports (32k kms) and have just fitted the new Hankook Ion EV tyre. Front inside edges on last set of Contis wore through to canvas on inside of tyre, not where tread is (was!), and Tesla have rebuilt front end at my expense ($1700) to replace soft bushes, etc. They also did a 4W alignment, told me they would set at minimum spec negative camber but won't tell me what that is. The Michelins on rear did likewise to the fronts, wore through to canvas above the tread line even though 3mm+ left in centre of tread.

At normal/standard setting at present by my rough measurement (iPhone) is about 1.5deg negative camber and if I drive over a wet patch can clearly see more inside edge touches than outside edge. I have turned off auto lowering (used to set at 90 kph) so it won't ever go below standard now, looking for any other ideas. Really p.....s me off to throw away a $600+ tyre with over 3mm remaining on most of the tread.
Take your car to a race shop and let them do a proper alignment. The reason Tesla won't give you specs of the settings is because they're out of whack not having adjustable camber arms and they don't want you to know that.

Lowering pressures by 10psi is not good nor safe. You’re building up more heat a la Firestone/Ford Exploder days (for you old timers out there 😀).
You don’t mention how many miles you’re getting, whether it’s a square setup, which specific tire, etc.
However, as others have said, if you’ve had an alignment done recently, please publish the results. Rear inner tire wear is inherent to our cars and can only be helped by installing adjustable camber arms.

I drive 30k a year on mountain roads and have even wear on tires off Amazon. Install rear camber arms or lower the tire pressure. -10PSI is safe and good unless there is evidence to suggest otherwise. The fact that my S is still rolling and by me typing this is to suggest it's fine after 9 months of driving -10PSI...

I drive 30k a year on mountain roads and have even wear on tires off Amazon. Install rear camber arms or lower the tire pressure. -10PSI is safe and good unless there is evidence to suggest otherwise. The fact that my S is still rolling and by me typing this is to suggest it's fine after 9 months of driving -10PSI...
Again, you haven’t provided more information. You said you have tires off Amazon? Is -10psi the end of the world or you’re imminently going to explode? No, but it’s certainly adding more risk. If you’re good with that, then end of story.

I had a flat tire on Southern California’s 210 freeway with my '22 S. Tesla road service was a joke. My advice: do not rely on them. When called, I was talking to a switchboard the East Coast. They were totally worthless. I bought a spare tire to take with me on long trips. I called AAA instead and they came out and put the Spare on and I drove to a tire shop and got a replacement tire. Lesson here: Carry an aftermarket spare tire when going out of town!. You will be glad you purchased it.