Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fixed Price Service Plans

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those that are able to get a fixed price service plan, I thought it would be timely to mention it. For those intending to keep their MS for 8 years plus, it seems beneficial to take out the 8 year program. (same applies for lesser years).

Pros: No worries about our $ weakening against US $
Prices fixed for period
Calculates to be cheaper than paying current service prices (all things equal) for 8 years (including putting the equivalent in a savings account with interest for 8 years)
Selling point (and possible recovery of value) if selling car earlier

Cons: Our dollar strengthens and prices reduce (unlikely)
Car gets written off and insurance doesn't cover value of the plan left
Can't take plan with you if you trade Tesla for new
Tesla goes broke

Have I missed anything?

Can actually.

Are you sure? According to Tesla SC Richmond, the plan stays with the car and cannot be transferred. I specifically enquired about this point as I had read on other threads that it could be transferred.

On the Tesla website it does state (under FAQ) in the service plan section that you can transfer it, however on Page 1 of the "Tesla Service Plan Terms and Conditions, Australia", it does state: "This agreement is for the sole benefit of the purchaser and applies only to the vehicle for which it is purchased."

Don't you just love 'grey'!?

At URL Service plans

Can I transfer my Tesla Service Plan to the new owner if I sell my Tesla vehicle?

Yes, you can transfer the unused portion of your Tesla Service Plan with the sale of your Tesla. In addition, we’re going to take this opportunity to go one step further: Tesla owners can transfer the unused value of your Tesla Service Plans towards a Tesla Service Plan for a new Tesla Model S or Model X.
You can view the Terms and Conditions after logging into your Tesla account.Click on “Services Sign Up” and following the appropriate link for your chosen plan.

At URL Service plans

Can I transfer my Tesla Service Plan to the new owner if I sell my Tesla vehicle?

Yes, you can transfer the unused portion of your Tesla Service Plan with the sale of your Tesla. In addition, we’re going to take this opportunity to go one step further: Tesla owners can transfer the unused value of your Tesla Service Plans towards a Tesla Service Plan for a new Tesla Model S or Model X.
You can view the Terms and Conditions after logging into your Tesla account.Click on “Services Sign Up” and following the appropriate link for your chosen plan.

I did read that, and it is on the website (with an Australian URL). The Service Plans T & C's I received is dated 11/11/15 so I guess there are new ones, and the Service rep obviously gave me a bum steer.

The other point is that the website says you have until the 31/3/16 to take out the TSP, however the rep told me that was COB on PST, so you have till sometime on 1/4/16 to sign up and pay.

I guess it is prudent to get everything in writing (and signed) to be sure.