Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fixed Spoiler Sucks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of a Model X 60D last weekend and discovered that the spoiler is fixed in the extended position. I had no idea that would be the case. It's pretty damn ugly.

I was under the impression that since the 60D did not come with the active spoiler option, the spoiler would be flush and nicely round out the back. I called Fremont and asked if there was a way to remove the mounts and secure the top flush with the back without setting off a sensor tied to the tailgate light. The tech wasn't sure about either but said he'd look into it. He did think, however, that mechanism for the active spoiler was embedded and that it would be a matter of upgrading.

I told him that was the case since the active spoiler was not an option for the 60D.
I asked him if other owners were complaining about the extended position, to which he said yes, many don't like it.

Does anyone feel the same way as me about this? Has anyone tried to remove the mounts to make the spoiler flush with the back? Any recommendations is appreciated.

Thanks!

Reactions: Eclectic
I took delivery of a Model X 60D last weekend and discovered that the spoiler is fixed in the extended position. I had no idea that would be the case. It's pretty damn ugly.

I was under the impression that since the 60D did not come with the active spoiler option, the spoiler would be flush and nicely round out the back. I called Fremont and asked if there was a way to remove the mounts and secure the top flush with the back without setting off a sensor tied to the tailgate light. The tech wasn't sure about either but said he'd look into it. He did think, however, that mechanism for the active spoiler was embedded and that it would be a matter of upgrading.

I told him that was the case since the active spoiler was not an option for the 60D.
I asked him if other owners were complaining about the extended position, to which he said yes, many don't like it.

Does anyone feel the same way as me about this? Has anyone tried to remove the mounts to make the spoiler flush with the back? Any recommendations is appreciated.

Thanks!
You should be aware that removing the spoiler would require finding a new location for the high-mounted brake light which is required by law.

Not only does the SUV look better with it down, but it helps with the aerodynamics. This would be consistent with the active spoiler lowering to the flush position at higher speeds.
The active spoiler does NOT lower to the flush position at higher speeds. It moves lower to about 60% of the fully up position. This is reported to be the most aerodynamic position. Being flush with the body does not "spoil" any air so it has no benefit in this position. In the fully up position it is a compromise to maintain the best visibility with low-speed air spoiling.

I took delivery of my X90D just over a week ago and I am happy with the fixed spoiler. I was trying to make the decision to bump up to the next level to get the active spoiler, but I guess it's really just a matter of opinion here as the benefits of having an active spoiler don't significantly outweigh not having one.

Not only does the SUV look better with it down, but it helps with the aerodynamics. This would be consistent with the active spoiler lowering to the flush position at higher speeds.
I got my 90D just after they finally stopped shipping them with active spoilers. I thought I wanted an active one but I'll take one that doesn't need service.

As for the looks, well, those are subjective. I like it. YMMV.

And about the aerodynamics being worse, I'm sorry to tell you, but you're wrong.