Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fixed the ticking.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Uncle Paul

Nov 1, 2013
Canyon Lake,CA
Began to hear a ticking sound, coming from behind the display in my 2017 75X.
It sounded like a watch ticking super fast, or perhaps a faint rainbird sprinkler running on overdrive. Maybe 10 ticks per second.
It was very faint, and I needed to turn off the radio to really notice it.

Was going to call service to ask about my options, but remembered there was a reset proceedure that, as a long shot, might silence the tick.

After reading the proceedure on these forums, I pressed both roller buttons on the steering wheel. Things went dark on the dash for a few seconds, and when the display turned back on....the ticking was gone.

Was kind of amazed that the car could essentially fix itself, and wanted to post my experience in case anyone else has a similar issue.

X is back to being it's usual fantastic self :)

Reactions: ModelX
Same thing happened to me on my MS. Pushed both buttons on the steering wheel and may have accidentally knocked one of those mysterious sticks poking out of the left side of the steering column...(something called a turn stick?)

Anyway, as I was driving to the ear doctor to have my ear wax cleaned out, I noticed that that pesky ticking/castanet sound was gone.o_O