Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fixed Trunk Rattle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
tl;dr - The source of the rattle was missing padding and insulation on the paneling around the subwoofer.

Background
Since receiving the Pearl White Model Y PUP I’ve had numerous SC visits for door alignment, frunk closing, wheel alignment, trim discoloration, spoiler coming off, and a persistent trunk rattle. Hopefully, this was my last SC visit for sometime. The previous adviser said the rear passenger door was still not in spec after my last service appointment. The trim was about 1/4 raised and 1/8 extended outward from the rear quarter window trim. This was the result of trying to fix the original bottom gap. I also asked if they could try to find the rattle again.

SC Appoint 3/1/2020
The rear passenger door was adjusted and sits much more evenly all the way around.

Now on to the trunk rattle. This minor rattle was not so minor after all. The SC was finally able to hear the issue. The key was to advise them to drive on a smooth service at 35mph. The Palo Alto SC has very rough asphalt on El Camino that stretches a few miles in each direction which drowns put the rattle.

The SC disassembled the rear trunk area and found it the panel where the sub is located did not have insulation and the sub itself was not properly padded. They installed additional padding and new interior pieces with insulation. During the process the plastic trim was damaged. I almost had yet another follow up appointment. However, the SC was able to source the part from another local SC for replacement.

The rattle was taken care of, but most of all the car is much quieter. Driving over metal covers always sounded like it was in the car. Now it’s much more dampened.

I just got some “gaffer tape” from Amazon, I wasn’t familiar with it before. It’s got a heavy adhesive similar to duct tape but the tape itself is a matte black cloth. It tears easily, sticks like mad, and is said to be removable without leaving any adhesive behind. It’s nice tape. people use it to tape down wires to floors when the wires have to be run where people walk. It’s heat resistant and is used for theater lighting. It isn’t waterproof so isn’t the same as duct tape, which does have a waterproof backing. Anyway it looks ideal to tape wires to reduce rattling.

Last edited:
I just got some “gaffer tape” from Amazon, I wasn’t familiar with it before. It’s got a heavy adhesive similar to duct tape but the tape itself is a matte black cloth. It tears easily, sticks like mad, and is said to be removable without leaving any adhesive behind. It’s nice tape. people use it to tape down wires to floors when the wires have to be run where people walk. It’s heat resistant and is used for theater lighting. It isn’t waterproof so isn’t the same as duct tape, which does have a waterproof backing. Anyway it looks ideal to tape wires to reduce rattling.

Thanks for this. My brand new Y has rattle in the trunk. This will probably resolve it once i pin it down.