Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fixing a nail in the tire at Costco

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Too true! Had a young lad do a simple re-torque on a new set of tires, (big tire chain and old ice vehicle). But he was doing it wrong! I stopped him and taught him how. He looked at me like I was from Mars!
As I understand it, Tesla puts some kind of foam in the tire. So... When purchasing new tires from Costco (or tire store) do they have the hardware, skill set and foam to put in the new tires?

Tesla doesn't put the acoustic foam in the tires, the tire manufacturer does.

Does anyone know if AAA will fix a TESLA flat?

I never heard of AAA fixing any flat roadside.

As I understand it, Tesla puts some kind of foam in the tire. So... When purchasing new tires from Costco (or tire store) do they have the hardware, skill set and foam to put in the new tires?

The tires with the foam are available if you search, but they aren't very common. When I got new tires I didn't bother to find ones with the foam and it doesn't make any difference I can hear. Going to the tire shop I made special note of how the old tires sounded and then compared to the new tires after they got them mounted. The new tires produced a little bit more noise, but they also had considerably more tread than the worn original tires did at the end and that could easily have been the difference.

The tires with the foam are available if you search, but they aren't very common. When I got new tires I didn't bother to find ones with the foam and it doesn't make any difference I can hear. Going to the tire shop I made special note of how the old tires sounded and then compared to the new tires after they got them mounted. The new tires produced a little bit more noise, but they also had considerably more tread than the worn original tires did at the end and that could easily have been the difference.

The thicker tread of a new tire makes them quieter. Tires get noisier as they wear down, not quieter. Every time I've driven off with new tires I've noted how much quieter they were than the old worn out ones.

The fact that your new tires produced more noise than your old ones illustrates how much difference the acoustic foam makes.

The thicker tread of a new tire makes them quieter. Tires get noisier as they wear down, not quieter. Every time I've driven off with new tires I've noted how much quieter they were than the old worn out ones.

The fact that your new tires produced more noise than your old ones illustrates how much difference the acoustic foam makes.

Uneven tread wear can cause more noise, but the old tires were worn almost perfectly across the entire tire, both the Tesla service center and Costco commented on it. Evenly worn tires near the end of life are about the quietest tires you're going to find. A lot of noise comes from air moving over the uneven surfaces, that's why offroad tires are much noisier than regular all season tires.

A page on causes of tire noise:
https://www.discounttiredirect.com/learn/tire-noise

When they put the new tires on, they under inflated them. They thought the sensors would register right after a few miles, but they didn't. Once I topped up the tires at home the sensors were happy. Underinflated tires can cause noise too.

I wasn't able to compare the old tires to the new properly inflated side by side, but my impression was this:
1) Old Goodyear tires with foam - baseline
2) New Michelins without foam, but under inflated - slightly higher than baseline
3) Properly inflated Michelins - back to baseline

My SO was in the music biz for a while (ran a recording studio) and was the one who calibrated all the equipment because her ear is so good. I asked her and she said the old, worn tires sounded the same as the new ones properly inflated. In her opinion, if there was any difference, it was tiny.

• Disagree
Reactions: ucmndd
Uneven tread wear can cause more noise, but the old tires were worn almost perfectly across the entire tire, both the Tesla service center and Costco commented on it. Evenly worn tires near the end of life are about the quietest tires you're going to find.

The tires on all my modern cars (going back 20 years) have all worn very evenly across the tread due to the fact that I monitor pressures and adjust to achieve even treadwear. Both our Model 3's are wearing very evenly at 46 PSI. But your link did not address whether a new tire is quieter or louder than an old tire. My experience is that new tires are always quieter than the ones with low tread depth. I attribute this to the natural damping of noise the thicker/heavier tread has. It can also "squirm" a bit more on sharp pavement surfaces which reduces noise.

My SO was in the music biz for a while (ran a recording studio) and was the one who calibrated all the equipment because her ear is so good. I asked her and she said the old, worn tires sounded the same as the new ones properly inflated. In her opinion, if there was any difference, it was tiny.

That the new tires without foam weren't significantly quieter vs. the old worn out tires with foam is a testament to the sound damping qualities of the foam liners. Believe me, the manufacturers test and measure all this stuff with suitable instruments and would not go to the expense of adding acoustic foam if it didn't make a significant difference in noise levels. You can take that to the bank.

Here is a discussion of the differences between new tires and worn tires and an excerpt of the relevant portion:

5 Advantages That New Tires Give You

A Better Driving Experience
Finally, the last benefit of a new set of tires is how they can make you feel. New tires with deeper functioning treads and designs are great for long trips because they provide the driver with a smoother ride. Also, new tires are less noisy when compared to worn out tires. Both of these factors are huge for those who have a long morning commute or frequently take long highway trips. Loud and uncomfortable tires can turn a vacation drive into a nightmare very quickly.

I’ve driven nearly three quarters of a million miles over a dozen cars and probably 25 sets of tires. This is simply not true outside of some crazy edge case like super swamper mud tires.
Yup. You could have two of the same tire made on the same day, store one in a temperature controlled room and the other outside for a year and the outside one will be louder.

NO NO NO. Find a mom and pop tire shop with a decent reputation, educate mechanic on jack point and battery pack protection, and get the job done in 20min. Walmart, Sam's, Cosco the same bunch of minimally paid rejects, pray for a disaster.

Costco pays their tire shop crew more than the tire chains and most of the mom and pop shops. And they retain their employees longer on average than any of the chains.

That said, I rotate my own tires and do as much of it myself as I can, not to save a few bucks, but to properly inspect and make sure the job is done correctly.

Reactions: bishoppeak
I have a similar question - but I don't know how to create a new post -

Hi guys,

Since my time of purchase (in December), one of my tires has always had less air. I can't prove it. I was too excited to bring it up as an issue at the dealership and thought it's normal and I can fix later. I can't prove this. anyways....

In this quarantine, my passenger Rear tire's pressure dropped to 25 from high 30s because the car has basically been just sitting around. I called the mobile service and they found a pin the tire.

They have quoted me about $85 for the fix. I saw that Costco does this for under $20. image link - Imgur

Has anyone had any experience? any suggestions?

I have basically told the guy he can come and replace it today because I don't want to keep this pending.
would appreciate any help here. thank you

Is there a way to pull the tire pressure history?

Attachments

• scISMLF.jpg
    scISMLF.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 74

Hi guys,

Since my time of purchase (in December), one of my tires has always had less air. I can't prove it. I was too excited to bring it up as an issue at the dealership and thought it's normal and I can fix later. I can't prove this. anyways....

In this quarantine, my passenger Rear tire's pressure dropped to 25 from high 30s because the car has basically been just sitting around. I called the mobile service and they found a pin the tire.

They have quoted me about $85 for the fix. I saw that Costco does this for under $20. image link - Imgur

I have basically told the guy he can come and replace it today because I don't want to keep this pending.

I fix that myself with a tire repair kit, very easy.

Hi guys,

Anyplace that does tires can fix it. I got a flat with my Model S and the local shop fixed it for about $15. The guy who fixed the tire wanted to talk to me about the car. They do a lot of car repair too, but all ICE. It was the first time he had been behind the wheel of an EV and loved it.