Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fixing a nail in the tire at Costco

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model S was showing less air in one tire. So I went to Costco and they filled it up. The guy told me that I have a nail in one of the tires. Costco said they will plug and patch it for $11.

My question is:

1. Is it OK to get it fixed in Costco i.e. would they have experience with Teslas?
2. The guy at Costco told me that I have to release the suspension (or something like that) since they dont do that. Anyone know what he is talking about and how I can do it?

Probably just talking about jack mode, put suspension on high then hit the jack mode button at the bottom of the suspension screen. This just locks the air suspension so it doesn't try to adjust the ride hieght as you jack it up. I would advise them of the jack points under the car to prevent damage to the battery if they don't know already.

Interesting that I just came in from plugging a hole in my Tesla's tire.

First off, I'm forty miles from Costco. I bought an air pump years ago so I don't have to drive somewhere on a low tire and ruin the sidewalls doing it. One tire showed about seven pounds low yesterday, so I backed the car out this morning into the drive and got a bowl of hot, very soapy water and washed the treads. I DO NOT remove the wheel from the car.

Sure enough, a little pile of tiny bubbles started stacking up in one area. I could feel the screw with my fingers. I summoned the car to back up a couple feet so I could lay down on a blanket and see the hole, then got out my plug kit and pulled the screw and shoved a plug (very sticky piece of rope) into it. Aired the tire back up and spread soap suds again and there were no new bubbles. Fixed.... By a 74 year old guy in cancer remission who's been sick for two weeks again. So it can't be hard.

Saved a bunch of time. Took maybe 30 minutes. And now I find Costco would plug it for $11, so I know what I'm worth!

This is soooooo easy to do, have done it twice, on two different cars, neither of them my Tesla. I consider this a temp fix, but so far they have lasted until the tires were replaced with no further leaks.

Everywhere we travel in our Tesla we have the pump with Tire repair kit and extra tools in the trunk. On the side of a freeway, or any other safe location, I expect it to only take me about 15 to 20 minutes total to find leak, remove nail or screw, patch tire, pump air back in tire. All without having to jack car up or removing tire.

This is much quicker that any wait time for a tow truck. JMHO

Reactions: Russell
I bought tires at Costco in June. I was talking to the manager while they were finishing my car and he said they do about a dozen Teslas a month and commented that Teslas are one of the easiest cars to jack up on the kind of jacks they have in the shop.

Costco knows what they're doing.

My Model S was showing less air in one tire. So I went to Costco and they filled it up. The guy told me that I have a nail in one of the tires. Costco said they will plug and patch it for $11.

My question is:

1. Is it OK to get it fixed in Costco i.e. would they have experience with Teslas?
2. The guy at Costco told me that I have to release the suspension (or something like that) since they dont do that. Anyone know what he is talking about and how I can do it?

Here in Canada, Costco wouldn't even touch my Model S when it came to anything to do with tires.