Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fixing a Tesla after 10 days under water...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Btr_ftw

Court Jester
Dec 19, 2015
Mass
I picked up this car from the flooding in Texas

ouchman.jpg

Found the old owner and he told me that the car spent 10 days in water like this.

Watch my daughter and I make fools out of ourselves digging into this one!

Whelp....

Here we go again...

I apparently missed the video where you went from CarGuru to RichRebuilds.

I also haven't found the "other video that explains why I chose this car" that you mention in the near the start of the video "worlds most disgusting Tesla".

well make sure you are subscribed and have ticked the notification bell and you won't miss any releases

Not worth it. I'd rather pay more and repair the front end. He will 100% need a new battery pack. 10 days underwater is a long time.

He did this before. He paid about 15 grand for a flooded tesla and something similar for a smashed one.

He swapped parts from the smashed car to the flooded car, sold off the excess parts, and ended up in a model S for $7,000.

Thats why he spent $18,000 on it.

Even if 5 of the battery sections are toast he'll sell the rest for thousands. Along with various other parts that he won't need on his other donor car. This brown car is a P85D.

Give the guy some credit.

Having watched most of his Tesla videos, his tenacity, resourcefulness and skills are absolutely legendary in my opinion.

When 99.9% of us would give up, (or not start in the first place :() he keeps on till he hits his goal, truly amazing.
I’ve done a lot of work on “project” ICE cars when I was younger, but the level of complexity and difficulty here is a whole new level.
IMHO Rich is bloody incredible.

I remember reading the salt water flooded thread for an entire weekend like it was a ben George RR Martin book. Then I got up real time and I was crushed. It was great to get to the conclusion. I can't imagine what that would've been like experiencing from start to finish.

Good luck Rich!

Was this fresh water or salt water flooding for 10 days?

Am reminded of a 60' sport fisher (motoryacht) that sank at a Two Harbors (Catalina Island off the coast of Los Angeles County) mooring overnight during a holiday weekend. Nice view in very clear water.

Took 3 days to get a barge out for the refloat and tow back to the mainland. Word was the insurance company opted to repair rather than replace. You could just feel everyone's insurance premiums go up $3 statewide (at the there were ~900,000 registered vessels - presumably less now, plus quite a few federally documented ones).

That aside, this is impressive work on the part of the OP. A newish Model S with low miles, resurrected thusly, for a net of under, say $15K, would still be a compelling option for the right buyer versus what will soon be available in that price range for used Model Ss (which are working their way down into the mid-$20Ks already, non-salvage, fine cars - just older).

I remember reading the salt water flooded thread for an entire weekend like it was a ben George RR Martin book. Then I got up real time and I was crushed. It was great to get to the conclusion. I can't imagine what that would've been like experiencing from start to finish.

Good luck Rich!

well have no fear, that is what this thread is for too :) we will post all vids here