Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fixing curb rash DIY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just read a couple of threads about curb rash. Not because I have any. But rather because I have done this fix myself. I just watched a YouTube video on it and tried it. Turns out, it is super super simple to do. Synopsis? Sure!

Sand affected area and feather out about an inch or two. Sand until there are only valleys in the scratch. No ridges.

Fill the are with metal filler. Let dry. Drink beer or whatever. Takes a while. But you are not working while it's drying so...

Then sand sand sand sand sand sand sand sand sand sand sand sand until its smooth and the original contour is back. Carefully tape off the wheel except for the patch area.

Then paint.
Then sand
Then paint again.
Then wet sand.
Then clear.
Sand
Clear
Wet sand.
Done.it may seem like a lot of steps but in reality, drying time excluded, this is about an hour of work per scratch. It is one of the simplest repairs you can do. I had pro results and no weird frustrations, my one and only time I did it.

• Informative
Reactions: Fiddler
might it be more difficult if you have the dark grey wheels? (I believe the colour is only surface deep)

Shouldn't makva difference. Exception... If the wheels are bronzed or some other 2 color treatment. Beyond that, paint is paint. It either matches or doesn't. I always try extra hard to buy the paint that matched direct from the supplier. Or alternately, ask the supplier what brand and color code was used and have a match mixed.

And by "always" l, I mean the one times I have done this. It's just mind bogglingly easy. Though YMMV.