Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fixing fallen front parking sensor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi.

My friend's model S (May 2018) got hit a little bit from the front. Nothing major, but one of the front parking sensor just fallen inside.
Found this pdf on the Internet, so I will try to explain according to the numbers from this file
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1...resh-manual-notes_14.pdf?14454368958459477571

In our situation it is parking sensor #2 (right under the front left headlight). I was able to reach it without removing the entire bumper, so I think we can just put it back by ourself, but here are couple of questions:

1. (I hope I will explain this question as clear as possible) Not only the sensor fallen inside, but the sensor bracket fallen as well. So the sensor is still inside the bracket and we need to put this bracket back. Since back side of the bumper is not flat, I was able to "find" the right position for the bracket, but even in this position I can rotate the bracket on 2-3 degrees before it hits another curve on the bumper. Question: I am not sure how the sensor works, but do these 2-3 degrees make any difference in work of the sensor? Or it is just 360 degree sensor and it is not important how it is rotated at all.

2. Since it is glued, I have to remove old glue, clean it and put a new one. Which one glue remover, cleaner and glue can be recommended for this situation?

Thank you for all the help and advice.

Hi.

My friend's model S (May 2018) got hit a little bit from the front. Nothing major, but one of the front parking sensor just fallen inside.
Found this pdf on the Internet, so I will try to explain according to the numbers from this file
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1...resh-manual-notes_14.pdf?14454368958459477571

In our situation it is parking sensor #2 (right under the front left headlight). I was able to reach it without removing the entire bumper, so I think we can just put it back by ourself, but here are couple of questions:

1. (I hope I will explain this question as clear as possible) Not only the sensor fallen inside, but the sensor bracket fallen as well. So the sensor is still inside the bracket and we need to put this bracket back. Since back side of the bumper is not flat, I was able to "find" the right position for the bracket, but even in this position I can rotate the bracket on 2-3 degrees before it hits another curve on the bumper. Question: I am not sure how the sensor works, but do these 2-3 degrees make any difference in work of the sensor? Or it is just 360 degree sensor and it is not important how it is rotated at all.

2. Since it is glued, I have to remove old glue, clean it and put a new one. Which one glue remover, cleaner and glue can be recommended for this situation?

1. The degree of the sensor is not important.

2. Use 3M double sided molding tape to mount it. As for cleaning up the old adhesive a razor blade is easiest. If you aren’t able to get enough off that way, goo gone will remove what is left.

Hi.

@il15
Hello and sorry to revive this old thread but I got the same sensor pushed back myself. Can you tell me what you removed to get access? I would like to do it myself as well and if I know what part to remove it will save me time.

Thanks!

Here is a illustrated guide how to remove front bumper which gives full access to all the work you need to do. How To: Front Bumper and Headlight Removal
I believe OP was able to get access as the front bumper lip might have been broken or front fog light was detached... To use double sided tape for fixing it would need to be very thin as otherwise this sensor will be placed too much inside.

• Helpful
Reactions: croman