Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fixing panel gap issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've picked up my 2022 Model 3 RWD the other day. Great car btw, it's so much fun to drive 🙂

When picking it up, I noticed that the panel gaps on my trunk lid was not even on both sides. It was roughly twice as big on one side compared to the other. I checked a few other cars there and they didn't seem to have this issue.

I spoke to the SA there about it and they said I can raise a service request but they recommended leaving it as it is. He gave me some reason saying the motor for the boot is on one side only so the gap needs to be bigger. I lodged a service request anyway so that it's on record.

When I got home I measured it and it was around 4mm on one side and 2mm on the other. So the boot lid was misaligned by approx 1mm in one direction. It doesn't sound like much but it's the type of thing you usually find on crash repaired cars rather than a new car

My questions are:
1. Have anyone in Aus have their panel gap issues fixed by tesla?
2. Was it done by the Mobile mechanic or at the service dealer?
3. How did it turn out? Did they do a perfect job?

I'm a bit hesitant to have it fixed even though it annoys me a bit. I'm just worried they will make it worse than before or damage something else in the process.

Last edited:

1. I’d say “addressed”
2. Mobile service
3. Meh, its ok, better than before.
If I’d realised he was just going to bash the car with a hammer, I’d probably said not to bother

Reactions: m3rwd
So I've picked up my 2022 Model 3 RWD the other day. Great car btw, it's so much fun to drive 🙂

When picking it up, I noticed that the panel gaps on my trunk lid was not even on both sides. It was roughly twice as big on one side compared to the other. I checked a few other cars there and they didn't seem to have this issue.

I spoke to the SA there about it and they said I can raise a service request but they recommended leaving it as it is. He gave me some reason saying the motor for the boot is on one side only so the gap needs to be bigger. I lodged a service request anyway so that it's on record.

When I got home I measured it and it was around 4mm on one side and 2mm on the other. So the boot lid was misaligned by approx 1mm in one direction. It doesn't sound like much but it's the type of thing you usually find on crash repaired cars rather than a new car

My questions are:

I'm a bit hesitant to have it fixed even though it annoys me a bit. I'm just worried they will make it worse than before or damage something else in the process.
I would absolutely go file service request because if it gets worse they will not cover it and will claim there was never any issues with trunk because nothing was serviced or documented. See my recent post and experience.

Reactions: m3rwd