Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fixing Rock Chips in Glass Roof!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to start this thread letting everyone know that if you try to get your glass roof *Or any panel for that matter* sealed and fixed up it carries the risk of the glass cracking completely and Safelite CAN NOT replace any glass since they can't order it from Tesla to stock up on.

Alright so about two months ago I heard that loud clang of a rock hitting my Model 3 on the highway and when I looked that evening I couldn't find anything on the windshield, and thus I assumed I got off lucky. A few days later a passenger was admiring the glass roof and noticed the large chip on their side leading me to think of "what can I do about this?"

I brought my model 3 into my usual service center and they looked at it and said all they can do is replace the entire panel which for me would have been out of pocket. Tesla service said they are replacing rock-chipped glass roof panels every week on Model 3's. I asked about using Safelite and Tesla informed me it was at my own risk so I took it on myself and made an appointment anyway. I would be paying for a new glass panel anyways unless Safelite worked.

It gets interesting when I arrived at Safelite, The tech who greeted me was very nervous about my Model 3 and informed me that he has never worked on a Tesla before and has turned down all previous Tesla customers. The reasoning for this is that Safelite's warranty is a lifetime warranty and if the repaired glass cracks post-fix they will replace the panel. However, with Tesla, they can NOT replace the panel and therefore don't want to perform the repair.

The glass roof panels are made of a milti-layer laminated glass just like a windshield, and therefore the approach should be similar. I called Tesla one final time and I was informed that this fix will not impact the Model 3 Warranty at all and I took the gamble. At the end of the day, its fixed and it looks as if nothing ever happened! The Safelite tech took a lot of notes and called a regional manager about the success and the process he performed *at a gamble*

It appears we are in uncharted waters with these cars still, so I wanted to pass along my experiences.
was $115 with taxes and fees to get the chip sealed.
MVIMG_20190105_141839.jpg
MVIMG_20190105_142116.jpg
MVIMG_20190105_143126.jpg
MVIMG_20190105_143218.jpg
MVIMG_20190105_141204.jpg
MVIMG_20190105_143944.jpg

MVIMG_20190105_141839.jpg MVIMG_20190105_142116.jpg MVIMG_20190105_143126.jpg MVIMG_20190105_143218.jpg MVIMG_20190105_141204.jpg MVIMG_20190105_143944.jpg

@Cdis94,

Thank you for this! Very informative and I appreciate you posting your experience and such as well as your legwork with I assume Blue Ash SC? As well as Safelite. Did Safelite in Cincinnati do the work for you? I’m guessing it was the same process as a windshield rock chip repair though you do mention the Safelite Tech used a ‘different’ process?
Once again a kudos for this as you mention we are all in uncharted waters with these new marvels and heres to hoping others as well as myself will continue to add to this community of friends and knowledge as we enjoy these wonders of technology and driving pleasure as well as keeping them serviced and working as needed!

Ski

Reactions: navguy12
The glass roof panels are made of a milti-layer laminated glass just like a windshield, and therefore the approach should be similar. I called Tesla one final time and I was informed that this fix will not impact the Model 3 Warranty at all and I took the gamble. At the end of the day, its fixed and it looks as if nothing ever happened! The Safelite tech took a lot of notes and called a regional manager about the success and the process he performed *at a gamble*
What location was this at as there are at least four Safelite locations in the area? What does your roof look like when it's wet? Are you missing that orange glow where the repair was performed?

I live in Cincinnati and drive up and down i75 and i71 and enjoy the rocks from the trucks which is why I have XPEL on the car. That way they can just pull the dents out and be done and the paint is untouched.

Rocks on windows are another story. I've also had three windshields replaced in the past decade due to severe rock damage but I have had some minor chips where this type of repair might come in handy.

• Love
Reactions: jonquiljo
I want to start this thread letting everyone know that if you try to get your glass roof *Or any panel for that matter* sealed and fixed up it carries the risk of the glass cracking completely and Safelite CAN NOT replace any glass since they can't order it from Tesla to stock up on.

Alright so about two months ago I heard that loud clang of a rock hitting my Model 3 on the highway and when I looked that evening I couldn't find anything on the windshield, and thus I assumed I got off lucky. A few days later a passenger was admiring the glass roof and noticed the large chip on their side leading me to think of "what can I do about this?"

I brought my model 3 into my usual service center and they looked at it and said all they can do is replace the entire panel which for me would have been out of pocket. Tesla service said they are replacing rock-chipped glass roof panels every week on Model 3's. I asked about using Safelite and Tesla informed me it was at my own risk so I took it on myself and made an appointment anyway. I would be paying for a new glass panel anyways unless Safelite worked.

It gets interesting when I arrived at Safelite, The tech who greeted me was very nervous about my Model 3 and informed me that he has never worked on a Tesla before and has turned down all previous Tesla customers. The reasoning for this is that Safelite's warranty is a lifetime warranty and if the repaired glass cracks post-fix they will replace the panel. However, with Tesla, they can NOT replace the panel and therefore don't want to perform the repair.

It appears we are in uncharted waters with these cars still, so I wanted to pass along my experiences.
View attachment 366424 View attachment 366425 View attachment 366426 View attachment 366427 View attachment 366428 View attachment 366429

View attachment 366424 View attachment 366425 View attachment 366426 View attachment 366427 View attachment 366428 View attachment 366429

I am going to post the techs contact information here and the Safelite address in Cincinnati Ohio, I had already informed the Safelite tech that I would be passing his info around to the Tesla community so he IS aware any of you might be contacting him with the same problem.

PLEASE REMEMBER that if your roof *or any* glass cracks during the repair process Safelite will not bill you anything,
but Tesla Service will have to replace the panel.

Dave Harding:
Cell: 513-869-9971

Safelite AutoGlass Address:
6596 Glenway Ave Unit B, Cincinnati, OH 45211
Annotation 2019-01-05 212033.jpg

@Cdis94,

Thank you for this! Very informative and I appreciate you posting your experience and such as well as your legwork with I assume Blue Ash SC? As well as Safelite. Did Safelite in Cincinnati do the work for you? I’m guessing it was the same process as a windshield rock chip repair though you do mention the Safelite Tech used a ‘different’ process?
Once again a kudos for this as you mention we are all in uncharted waters with these new marvels and heres to hoping others as well as myself will continue to add to this community of friends and knowledge as we enjoy these wonders of technology and driving pleasure as well as keeping them serviced and working as needed!

Ski
Yes I use the Blue Ash Ohio service center, here's the information for the tech i worked with and their location:
Dave Harding
Safelite AutoGlass

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Atari2600
What location was this at as there are at least four Safelite locations in the area? What does your roof look like when it's wet? Are you missing that orange glow where the repair was performed?

I live in Cincinnati and drive up and down i75 and i71 and enjoy the rocks from the trucks which is why I have XPEL on the car. That way they can just pull the dents out and be done and the paint is untouched.

Rocks on windows are another story. I've also had three windshields replaced in the past decade due to severe rock damage but I have had some minor chips where this type of repair might come in handy.
That is a good question... the orange "glow" is internal refraction of the UV protection layer in the glass within raindrops. I would assume it should be fine it's not like that was removed in the damaged area.

I also have an Xpel Wrap on my Model 3 for that exact reason and it looks as good as it did 21,000 miles ago haha. Ive posted the Safelite info in the thread

Yes I use the Blue Ash Ohio service center, here's the information for the tech i worked with and their location:
Dave Harding
Safelite AutoGlass

I’m not sure the tech would appreciate you posting their cell number on a public message board that is browsed by thousands of people on a daily basis.

Reactions: EV-by-the-Sea
DEC99FCB-E1E9-409E-B7F3-052BC76302C4.jpeg
I have an example of something unrepairable but not needing replacement.

I heard a loud clack about a month ago. Saw no issues with windshield. Had no idea what it was. Then a few days later I walk around front passenger side and see damage to glass roof, right at the edge of glass, but no damage to metal next to it.

I took it to safelight. He mentioned they do not work on Tesla’s roof glass but offered to give his assessment. He said it should not get any worse because it has a start and finish to the break. So it has no where to grow.

Just mentioning this in case anyone has a similar break and is thinking of replacing the whole roof. If you can live with the beauty mark, then you’ll save some cash.

Mine has not gotten worse and here is a pic.

Thanks for posting this. Now that they don't make the rainbow roof for the back glass anymore, I would like to keep my current roof in good shape as long as possible. Out of all the features of the tesla, this is one of my favorites, and I didn't even know about it until the day after I took delivery!

I am going to post the techs contact information here and the Safelite address in Cincinnati Ohio, I had already informed the Safelite tech that I would be passing his info around to the Tesla community so he IS aware any of you might be contacting him with the same problem.

PLEASE REMEMBER that if your roof *or any* glass cracks during the repair process Safelite will not bill you anything,
but Tesla Service will have to replace the panel.

Dave Harding

Safelite AutoGlass Address:
View attachment 366518

WOW! $100 in Labor charges for an item costing less than $8??? Welcome to America!

I have a crack that might be road debris or it might be defective glass (edge crack beginning on the underside).

I’m having it looked at in about ten days. Mind sharing what Tesla quoted you for replacing the panel in the event they determine the fault is not theirs?

Reactions: JeffnReno
Any idea how insurance claims are being handled under comprehensive coverage? My deductible is only $50 so I would try to use that and is one of the main reasons I pay slightly more for a low deductible. Does Tesla accept insurance payment for glass replacement in cases like this or even a break-in?

View attachment 366635 I have an example of something unrepairable but not needing replacement.

I heard a loud clack about a month ago. Saw no issues with windshield. Had no idea what it was. Then a few days later I walk around front passenger side and see damage to glass roof, right at the edge of glass, but no damage to metal next to it.

I took it to safelight. He mentioned they do not work on Tesla’s roof glass but offered to give his assessment. He said it should not get any worse because it has a start and finish to the break. So it has no where to grow.

Just mentioning this in case anyone has a similar break and is thinking of replacing the whole roof. If you can live with the beauty mark, then you’ll save some cash.

Mine has not gotten worse and here is a pic.

I just noticed that I have the same issue, pretty much at the exact location. I wonder if this a defect/ stress point. How much does it cost to replace this piece?