Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FL (Ft. Lauderdale): Shop took my p85 for a 85mph joy ride then charged me $135.00

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As an authorized Bel radar installer I assumed that Specialty Automotive Treatments (SAT) would be a reputable place to go to have them check my Bel StIr detector along with a Lidar Laser Jammer and a Curb Alert all were not working or had issues.

Good professional looking web site, a Ferrari on the shop floor and a metallic silver wrapped Audi RS on the forecourt added to my confidence that I was dealing with a top notch company...... how looks can be deceiving.

I dropped my P85 off at 8am explaining in detail that the Bel had not registered any radar in over a month, it was however warning of red light cameras (it does this through a GPS locator).
I also left them with a laser tester (which give out low level signals to check radar detectors and jammers)
The Lidar Laser Jammer was giving intermittent warnings about #4 sensor not working
The Curb Alert was not registering at all.
That was exactly what I told the salesperson who wrote it all down.

I went to work and noticed they had not touched the car till 2:50pm at which time the car was driven out to I95 expressway and topped out at 80mph

As most of you will know Visible Tesla shows me a Google map of where the car is, where it was driven, what time, how long, how fast, how much power and a host of other information including open doors, hood just about everything that the car is doing at any particular time.
Power.jpg
Speed 1.jpg

I called the shop and asked had they driven my car? > "YES"
Why were you on I95 doing 80mph? > "I don't know I will talk to the tech".

About 5 minuets after that conversation the drivers door and passenger door were opened, in 10 minuets they closed and the car was not touched again.

When I arrived at the shop I asked again why was my car on an expressway doing 80mph no one had an answer other than "We had to test drive the car".
I was told by the owner that all my issues had been fixed, so I checked the Curb Alert, It did not work > " The curb alert is a piece of s**t he told me "take it off")

OK did you fix the Bel Radar Detector? > "YES". I was told I had the settings wrong (I had done a factory reset two weeks ago so I know they are correct)
I asked if they hooked it up to a computer and used the Bel Diagnostic Tools? > "NO"

Did you check it with the tester I left you > "NO" "It does not register laser and if it did you already been tagged and have a ticket"

OK how about the laser jammers > "They are working".

I paid the $135 under protest and left. On driving out of the parking lot I get a warning the "Laser Jammer #4 sensor is faulty".
So I go back to the shop and demand my money back, this was the only time this place did what I had asked them to.

Like I said looks can be deceiving.
Just so you do not make the same mistake I did here is where not to take your car:

http://www.satreatments.com/

Just some punks/*******, I'm afraid.
The Amsterdam SC staff drove my S at over 100 mph in a 60 mph limit zone.
Speeding ticket not yet received, so I'm still OK with that.

Last edited by a moderator:
After reading numerous stories of joyriding by shops, parking lot attendants, valets, etc. on this web site, I think it would be prudent to have a sign made up that says something like "This car permanently records all activity, movement and location data. Do not use it beyond authorized activity." and hang this sign on the console any time you give the keys to anyone.

And this is why we still want a "valet" mode that will allow us to limit speed, range and other functions when we drop off our Model S's.

That was promised over a year ago by Elon at Teslive (last year's TMC Connect). He said the basics of it were already in the car, but just not "exposed to the user" if I recall correctly. They are somehow able to speed limit loaner and test drive cars, so I suspect this is true.

That was promised over a year ago by Elon at Teslive (last year's TMC Connect). He said the basics of it were already in the car, but just not "exposed to the user" if I recall correctly. They are somehow able to speed limit loaner and test drive cars, so I suspect this is true.

I've seen the speed limit control screen, it's very simple and exactly what folks have been asking for. It's hard to see what's so difficult about moving it so owners can access and lock it.

Yes, I remember hearing Elon say the same thing from the video of Teslive 2013. This an item that has been long overdue on the owners' wish list. Hopefully, it will make to v6.0, but I'm not holding my breath. Sigh.

That was promised over a year ago by Elon at Teslive (last year's TMC Connect).

I kinda could see this dangerous abuse to our fab Ses coming. That is why I iMessaged the "Empress" from home while she waited in line to please ask (which she did) Elon about a possible upcoming valet feature last year. I will never leave the the S with a 3rd party auto repair/install shop, not have friends nor relatives drive it, will never valet park it, and I will not have any 3rd party tech drive it onto their alignment rack. I do, however, dread the day our S may have to visit a body shop for a few days.

I hope a password protected valet restriction is available soon.

btw, please DO slam them on Yelp!

This goes to show 2 things I always educate my customers about

1- Do your research on the company or individual who will be working on your vehicle. Don't just go by one review, find out what OTHERS have to say about such business or individual.

2- Just because a business looks flashy, a website looks fancy and /or you see high end cars at the location, it doesn't necessarily translate to great craftsmanship or customer service. Many times the owners of those cars are accustomed to receive mediocre service and to their standards, this is the best place to go.

I hope you have a better experience at the next place you take your MS to.

Here is the Yelp Review.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/specialty-a...uderdale?hrid=7yBN7MJKKgK38gyrbI5jYg#src:self

I took the Bel Radar detector out myself and returned it beltronics who fixed it under warrantee.

Now I need an installer to install my aftermarket parking sensors "Radrick" was kind enough to steer me to one place who does seem to be capable of dealing with Teslas but they do not want to install my system due to liability issues (It goes bad and I have no warrantee with them) they will install their system but it is not the system I want.

If anyone in Florida has had sensors installed or even the front camera option please let me know where you had the work done or worst case any recommendations to a good installer.
I do not mind driving some distance as long as the shop is capable.

Thanks for any help.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey FL Pete do you have any places you might want to suggest?

Here is the Yelp Review.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/specialty-a...uderdale?hrid=7yBN7MJKKgK38gyrbI5jYg#src:self

I took the Bel Radar detector out myself and returned it beltronics who fixed it under warrantee.

Now I need an installer to install my aftermarket parking sensors "Radrick" was kind enough to steer me to one place who does seem to be capable of dealing with Teslas but they do not want to install my system due to liability issues (It goes bad and I have no warrantee with them) they will install their system but it is not the system I want.

If anyone in Florida has had sensors installed or even the front camera option please let me know where you had the work done or worst case any recommendations to a good installer.
I do not mind driving some distance as long as the shop is capable.

Thanks for any help.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey FL Pete do you have any places you might want to suggest?

I've had similar custom installations on my Model S and my E63 by Technicar in West Palm Beach. They do great work on high end cars.