Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FL home insurers that cover solar?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A year after install of my Tesla solar I have been informed that Edison will cancel my policy since they will not cover a home with rooftop solar installed. My agent says there are very few options in S FL to choose from and that she will look for options, but that I may need to get covered with Citizens. I really hope that isn't the case since I know their premiums are very high! Who is everyone with solar covered by and are you sure they know about your solar? My agent never informed Edison although they knew I installed the system since they had to write the liability umbrella for FPL.

A year after install of my Tesla solar I have been informed that Edison will cancel my policy since they will not cover a home with rooftop solar installed. My agent says there are very few options in S FL to choose from and that she will look for options, but that I may need to get covered with Citizens. I really hope that isn't the case since I know their premiums are very high! Who is everyone with solar covered by and are you sure they know about your solar? My agent never informed Edison although they knew I installed the system since they had to write the liability umbrella for FPL.
why?

I would never have installed solar if I knew my insurance co might cancel.

I plan to ask state farm about my solar and batteries, since want to make sure I have enough coverage to cover
I never considered it to be a factor especially since the agent never said a peep when we wrote the umbrella liability. This is likely a FL issue since we have very few options left as most underwriters have pulled out of the state due to hurricanes. The funny thing is that my house is more hurricane proof than 90% of those in the county even with the super low profile and aerodynamic trimmed solar panels.

Last edited:
I never considered it to be a factor especially since the agent never said a peep when we wrote the umbrella liability. This is likely a FL issue since we have very few options left as most underwriters have pulled out of the state due to hurricanes. The funny thing is that my house is more hurricane proof than 90% of those in the county even with the super low profile and aerodynamic trimmed solar panels.
I have read that SF put some limits on, like 125% of usage. And if go over, you would get nothing. So, guess I need to talk to my agent once I get PTO

This thread was a good reminded for me to check with my agent after my install recently. I’m in a new home (2019) and used the builder’s (Lennar) insurance partner, or they have some relationship that I don’t quite understand. It’s ASI, a subsidiary or something of Progressive: American Strategic Insurance. They are based locally so it’s easier for them to add flood coverage for instance (don’t have to deal with some national system/process). Essentially what I had to do was sign an agreed value document which increased my dwelling coverage by the cost of the PV and ESS. For reference, it raised my premium by only $70~/year. However, the PV (and I assume ESS) is not covered for wind or hail damage which seems like the most likely thing that could damage them. 🧐 Therefore, I’m only covered for fire, lightning, theft (this would be a great Florida man headline), and accidental water damage - I guess from an interior plumbing problem.

This thread was a good reminded for me to check with my agent after my install recently. I’m in a new home (2019) and used the builder’s (Lennar) insurance partner, or they have some relationship that I don’t quite understand. It’s ASI, a subsidiary or something of Progressive: American Strategic Insurance. They are based locally so it’s easier for them to add flood coverage for instance (don’t have to deal with some national system/process). Essentially what I had to do was sign an agreed value document which increased my dwelling coverage by the cost of the PV and ESS. For reference, it raised my premium by only $70~/year. However, the PV (and I assume ESS) is not covered for wind or hail damage which seems like the most likely thing that could damage them. 🧐 Therefore, I’m only covered for fire, lightning, theft (this would be a great Florida man headline), and accidental water damage - I guess from an interior plumbing problem.
Thanks for the info! Is the exclusion limited to compensation for damage to the PV, or does it extend to any damage they can claim was caused by the PV? For example the PV gets ripped off the roof and leave huge openings in the roof deck behind that result in further damage. Do they fix all of the damages short of replacing the PV?

Thanks for the info! Is the exclusion limited to compensation for damage to the PV, or does it extend to any damage they can claim was caused by the PV? For example the PV gets ripped off the roof and leave huge openings in the roof deck behind that result in further damage. Do they fix all of the damages short of replacing the PV?
Those are good questions that I do not know the answers to. I did ask if my Powerwalls would be covered if say the bathroom on my 2nd floor above my garage flooded (interior plumbing failure/issue) and that damaged the Powerwalls and my inverter below. I understand that the Powerwalls are designed for outdoor use and can get wet, but I don’t know if this scenario could cause damage to them. Anyway, the agent said that they should be covered but ultimately every claim is reviewed and final decisions are made at that time. This makes me worry about having them tell me “yes” to your scenario but then down the road if I file a claim they tell me the roof damage isn’t covered. I suppose this is always the issue with various types of insurance: interpretation disputes and legal battles. Ugh

Reactions: LandToSea