Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FL to IL Round Trip Sans Gas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FINALLY!!! With the completion of the Supercharger chain through eastern KY plus Cincy, it became possible for me to execute a round trip from Florida to Chicagoland for Thanksgiving week - the first one without the ICE minivan. Although range anxiety is an intellectual non-issue, the emotional effects linger in the background. This affected our decisions on how much to charge and how fast to drive. It also caused us to take a side trip to the Country Club Hills station before entering Chicago "just to be sure". I know this topic has been debated in the forum before: charge longer so you can drive faster due to the bigger charge reserve; or charge quickly but less and drive slower than usual to the next station. My wife and I did it both ways but we haven't had time to analyze the data to come to a firm conclusion. To top it off, our record keeping was erratic and spotty outbound but a little bit better on the return trip. Since the return was a mirror image except for one segment, this will be the source of the posted numbers.
All in all, the car did all it was asked to do. Here are some numbers to chew on:

RATED MILES USEDACTUAL MILESkWh UsedWh/MileTRAVEL TIMECOMMENTS
Northfield, IL to Lafayette, IN238>59 (179)144.749.13402:29**Includes one "pit stop"
Lafayette to Indianapolis170>88
(82)
69.322.53251:08

Indianapolis to Cincinnati201>70(131)109.636.43321:23**Onen pit stop
Cincinnati, OH to Lexington, KY187>71 (116)101.133.23294:18**Includes lunch stop
Lexington to London, KY224>131 (93)69.324.93590:59

London, KY to Knoxville, TN215>60 (155)113.839.23451:50**one pit stop. Stopped for the night after charging.
Knoxville to Chattanooga, TN222>114 (108)91.330.53341:26

Chattanooga, TN to Atlanta, GA205>66 (139)11338.43391:38Lunch in Atlantic Station while charging
Atlanta to Macon,
GA
213>112 (101)89.127.63101:29

Macon to Tifton, GA175>50 (125)104.634.33281:42**with pit stop
Tifton, GA to Lake City, FL175>39 (136)10737.53512:26dinner at Lake City while charging
Lake City to St.
Augustine, FL
227>99 (128)101.234.93451:32**one pit stop
St. Augustine to Palm Coast, FL152>110 (42)33.713.13860:37

TOTALS15351247.7421.634123 hrs.

Some Observations:
*This trip took 6 hours more outbound and 4 hours more on return than what I am used to when using the western route via Nashville, Paducah and southern Illinois which is my personal preference. Even when accounting for the time zone change. It is almost 100 miles longer. Plus charging does take longer than a gas fill-up no matter how you slice it. Not complaining. The fuel savings and the smoothness of the ride more than offset it.
*Amenities at charger sites notwithstanding, your physiology cannot be based on charging stops except when they coincide with the need for intake or output.
*Additional causes for the longer trip: Atlanta road construction (south of) on outbound leg and a closed exit to the Chattanooga airport also due to construction, also on the outbound leg, that needed a long slow detour. It was open but reduced to one lane on the return trip.
*I got the seat belt recall notice the night before I left FL. It was taken care of with dispatch without the need for an appointment by the Highland Park service center the day after I arrived. Then my 12-volt battery gave me a dire notice a few days later. That also got taken care of the day after I called. Kudos to the folks there for their courtesy and efficiency.
Sorry for the long post but I tried to anticipate questions. I hope some of you will find this useful.
Caddieo

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing.... what was your typical travel speed?

Average speed varied between 5-10 mph over the posted limit with occasional bursts into the high 80's. We used cruise control on open, less congested and boring stretches.

- - - Updated - - -

Never mind, I did it myself:

RATED MILES USEDACTUAL MILESkWh UsedWh/MileTRAVELTIMECOMMENTS

15351247.7421.633822:57

Thanks for the data.

I did it anyway as promised. Same numbers except theWh/Mile and Travel Time. I'll use my numbers ( no offense meant) since it is my original post.

I built a web app to do exactly this analysis! Try it out -- SuperCharger Trip Logger -- you can plug your numbers in and generate a chart that looks like this trip I made from Florida to CT:

attachment.php?attachmentid=100574&d=1447121856.png

I built a web app to do exactly this analysis! Try it out -- SuperCharger Trip Logger -- you can plug your numbers in and generate a chart that looks like this trip I made from Florida to CT:

attachment.php?attachmentid=100574&d=1447121856.png
Thanks Hank. I never used it because I didn't know what it would look like and I didn't bother to sign up. Looking at the above, I think I'll try it on my trip to Miami for Christmas.

Thanks Hank. I never used it because I didn't know what it would look like and I didn't bother to sign up. Looking at the above, I think I'll try it on my trip to Miami for Christmas.

Yeah, I don't do much of a job marketing the site. I built it for me, and what I needed to log/track, and produce the stats I wanted to see. Then I made it generic enough for other people to use.

The original intention was to build up a big database of actual, real life stats of travel between Superchargers, so one could get an estimate from EVtripplanner, and then go to my site to see what people actually experienced. That part is still down the road, because not many people are using the SC logger.

I have a trip to Vegas coming up and would love to use this, but I'm getting "Permission denied" when I try to login or have my p/w resent.

Can you send me a PM with your email address and I'll look into it?

Looks good! I wish I had known about this beforehand. Thanks.

I'm pretty sure you can take the numbers you recorded and plug them into the app after the fact... you'll just need to impute the start/end clock times to get the average speed numbers correct.. you already have the durations.

*Note: The list of superchargers is out of date, I need to update that!