Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flagstaff to Grand Canyon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a 2016 MS P90D and are going to the Grand Canyon. Would like to take the MS.
From our house to Flagstaff SC is 166 miles. Nav shows arriving with 18% charge, which with the elevation change seems right. We are spending the night and the next day doing a day hike in the canyon and drive back to Mesa (Phoenix).
Is there anywhere to charge at the canyon? The Best Western near the canyon has 2 spots, guests have priority so I don't know if it is an option.
Mileage from the Flagstaff SC to GC and back to Flagstaff would be about 170 miles (100% rated charge 271). Temperatures in the 30's to 60's in the afternoon. Not sure with the temperature if this would be a good idea for round trip. We would charge in Flagstaff and head back home. This is our first long trip so any info would be appreciated.

A couple of hotels around the grand canyon have destination chargers. Those are what I used on my trip. Forget which hotel, was a while ago. They had 2 80 amp chargers. Plenty for overnight. I'd recommend booking a hotel that hosts a destination charger, then you wont have to worry about whether you can use them or not.

• Funny
Reactions: jchag
A 170 mile round trip should be no problem in a P90D. Use evtripplanner.com to see how much you can expect to use, but I can't imagine 170 real miles turning into 270 rated miles used.

Looking at plugshare.com, I see an EV-friendly RV park in the area in addition to the Best Western. I don't think you'll need it, but having a backup is always good.

If you can find a place to stay in Flagstaff that offers charging, that'll make things a little easier for you since you can fill up overnight. Getting to 100% at a Supercharger takes a long time as it tapers off at the end. (It takes a long time on anything, but if it's a destination charger then you can at least do it while you sleep.)

A couple of hotels around the grand canyon have destination chargers. Those are what I used on my trip. Forget which hotel, was a while ago. They had 2 80 amp chargers. Plenty for overnight. I'd recommend booking a hotel that hosts a destination charger, then you wont have to worry about whether you can use them or not.
Unfortunately we are leaving late and only able to go to Flagstaff the night before. The next day we are at the Canyon and need to be home that night. We are squeezing this trip into our schedule.

A 170 mile round trip should be no problem in a P90D. Use evtripplanner.com to see how much you can expect to use, but I can't imagine 170 real miles turning into 270 rated miles used.

Looking at plugshare.com, I see an EV-friendly RV park in the area in addition to the Best Western. I don't think you'll need it, but having a backup is always good.

If you can find a place to stay in Flagstaff that offers charging, that'll make things a little easier for you since you can fill up overnight. Getting to 100% at a Supercharger takes a long time as it tapers off at the end. (It takes a long time on anything, but if it's a destination charger then you can at least do it while you sleep.)
The Supercharger is next door to the hotel so we are planning on filing up there. Will look for an EV friendly park. I am thinking we could always drive 50 mph if we needed to on the way back to Flagstaff. EVtripplanner shows about 60kwh r/t at 40 degrees. Is this site usually accurate?

If the SC is right next to the hotel, that works great too. You can be in your room or having breakfast or whatever while the car tops off. EVTripPlanner is usually spot-on with its estimates as long as you give it the correct inputs. Slowing down is indeed an easy way to extend your range if somehow it gets it wrong.

Thanks for all the tips.
No problem at all to make it from the Flagstaff SC to the Grand Canyon and back (MS P90DL).
177 miles R/T and used 50.5 Kwh. Showed 36% SOC when we arrived back in Flagstaff.

The Flagstaff SC is busy with only 4 stalls. To make matters worse, a MX from Illinois parked there almost 24 hours. Even with that, I never had to wait. Took the advice of others and charged the last few percent in the morning before we left.
They will need to expand this location soon or it will be difficult to charge there.