Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flaking paint on 2021 M3 LR

• Thread starter Deleted member 155949
  • Start date
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2019 M3P blue/white is going back to the Bristol s/c tomorrow. Went in just over 3m ago to have nearside sill resprayed just in front of rear wheel arch due to peeling paint. Exactly same thing is happening again in same place. Tesla fitted mudguards at the time. Will be done under warranty again.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
There is actually a deleted (by another moderator) follow up post from the user further into the time line that others cannot see. But still a while since they posted. It could be that they got the info they were asking about from another thread that was recommended early on in the thread.
Apologies for the late reply @Adopado and @VanillaAir_UK ! I'm sure I posted something but maybe I didn't press send.

In any event, by way of an update Tesla agreed to repaint both sills shortly after I raised this with them in February last year and I can report that almost a year later the paint is still on the car.

Tesla also fitted their mudguard/splashguard combo but the splashguard was far too long and kept scraping on speedbumps, as others have reported here and elsewhere. After seeing another M3 at a supercharger with a mudguard hanging off I decided to remove mine and fit some cheaper after-market ones that were less prone to speedbump damage and so far they have been pretty good.

I’m just about to buy a used Model 3 Long Range registered Dec 2020 (it’s a 2021 model)

The paint seems to have flaked off on the cill common with others here.

The car has covered 20,000.

What are my chances of getting it done under warranty?

If not does anyone know what it would cost to get the cill resprayed?

8DBEBC07-3F83-40DA-A67F-818BA8F3AF1A.jpeg

There was a batch of early MiC cars where they did not prepare the sealant before over spraying and the paint almost fell off if chipped. if it was Jan 2021 now and I saw that picture I would say this could be one of those BUT since it is now March 22 if it was one of those I think this would be a lot worse by now.
This may just have been a case of a big stone being kicked up by something.
I could be wrong and you may have a chance but I would not hold my breath.
Given where it is looks like a job for touch up paint or at worst chips away. Not sure it warrants an entire respray of the sill

Reactions: reserves
There was a batch of early MiC cars where they did not prepare the sealant before over spraying and the paint almost fell off if chipped. if it was Jan 2021 now and I saw that picture I would say this could be one of those BUT since it is now March 22 if it was one of those I think this would be a lot worse by now.
This may just have been a case of a big stone being kicked up by something.
I could be wrong and you may have a chance but I would not hold my breath.
Given where it is looks like a job for touch up paint or at worst chips away. Not sure it warrants an entire respray of the sill

Thanks, this is a Fremont car, I’ll see how it goes.