Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flaking paint on 2021 M3 LR

• Thread starter Deleted member 155949
  • Start date
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will be interesting to see if this is a problem on MIC cars, I suspect it won't be.
The majority of these paint flaking seems to have been in the run up to the end of the year. Those before and those after appear to have been fine, and Elon seems to be well aware based on that interview. China seems to be pretty decent in the paint department, but so have Fremont cars after these as well.

The majority of these paint flaking seems to have been in the run up to the end of the year. Those before and those after appear to have been fine, and Elon seems to be well aware based on that interview. China seems to be pretty decent in the paint department, but so have Fremont cars after these as well.
I sure wish the CEO would have made a video admitting the cars had a half baked paint job so I'd not get told the issue was due to chips. OH WELL

1,700 Miles, road chips. Heh good one.

Speaking from experience they don't care about independent analysis - i got some and they wouldn't accept it. They finally agreed that i take it to a Tesla Approved Body Shop which they chose. I did that - the bodyshop report was that there were lots of paint issues e.g. insufficient paint coverage on the bumpers. They then said that they saw the report and the paint is fine.

After lots of fighting from the Lease company mine is booked in to have the rocker panels repainted as a 'good will gesture' in April. I'm to note that the car isn't faulty.

The issue is my rear quarter panel now has paint peeling as does the boot. Every time I look at the car more paint is missing. So the Lease company are now trying to fight to get all the paint sorted.

Speaking from experience they don't care about independent analysis - i got some and they wouldn't accept it. They finally agreed that i take it to a Tesla Approved Body Shop which they chose. I did that - the bodyshop report was that there were lots of paint issues e.g. insufficient paint coverage on the bumpers. They then said that they saw the report and the paint is fine.

After lots of fighting from the Lease company mine is booked in to have the rocker panels repainted as a 'good will gesture' in April. I'm to note that the car isn't faulty.

The issue is my rear quarter panel now has paint peeling as does the boot. Every time I look at the car more paint is missing. So the Lease company are now trying to fight to get all the paint sorted.
Sounds horrible :-(

OTOH, the official paint shop for Edinburgh is actually in Glasgow...

Got told today they can't see it tomorrow as need to investigate further. I asked what they checking, apparently it "Looks like stone chips from road ware".
Round and round we go now, asked how a car with 1,700 miles has road chips when I've had previous cars do 50k with no such thing.

Just got to wait now to see what they decide. But apparently no one else's cases matter everyone is individual and they don't care what Elon said :)

This car is on the line of being thrown back at them, nothing but issues since day 1

Sorry to hear that - that's exactly how my journey started with them. Stone chips and road ware. Mine was 2 months old with 2000 miles. I took photos of the effected area, drove it straight to the Service Centre. Tesla had the car for a week before saying they weren't doing it. When I went to pick it up I noticed more missing paint. before they even gave me the key card back, I got the photos out that they had and showed them in the week they had it more paint had come off. There response was 'nothing we can do for you, please leave our premises now'.

That was September - we are now in March and they have just said as a good will gesture they will do the rocker panels.

I love the car BUT wish i had rejected it - as well as the paint, i have had a new bonnet (it didn't align) 6x rear lights (yes 6) due to water and a number if paint and trim issues. I have done 5000 miles since August but 1000 of those have been SC visits.

When I say I wish i had rejected it - I formally did with the lease company in month 3. They said they couldn't reject the car because the issues were cosmetic and not to worry as they would get it sorted.

Sorry to hear that - that's exactly how my journey started with them. Stone chips and road ware. Mine was 2 months old with 2000 miles. I took photos of the effected area, drove it straight to the Service Centre. Tesla had the car for a week before saying they weren't doing it. When I went to pick it up I noticed more missing paint. before they even gave me the key card back, I got the photos out that they had and showed them in the week they had it more paint had come off. There response was 'nothing we can do for you, please leave our premises now'.

That was September - we are now in March and they have just said as a good will gesture they will do the rocker panels.

I love the car BUT wish i had rejected it - as well as the paint, i have had a new bonnet (it didn't align) 6x rear lights (yes 6) due to water and a number if paint and trim issues. I have done 5000 miles since August but 1000 of those have been SC visits.

When I say I wish i had rejected it - I formally did with the lease company in month 3. They said they couldn't reject the car because the issues were cosmetic and not to worry as they would get it sorted.
I feel your pain. The paint issue isn't my only problem, my charging port has now all but broken, its in next Friday to have that completely replaced (was meant to be today but alas they can't find there elbow from arsehole). I'm sat typing this on 15% battery and have somewhere to be tomorrow, if the issue doesn't resolve itself tonight (Which is unlikely) I basically can't do what I need due to Tesla terrible cars which with any other manufacture would be unheard of.

I will deal with the paint issue as and when it arises with them, if it means me throwing the "Keys" back at them then so be it. I'm literally at the point now I just don't care for the car anymore.

I've had numerous people ask me what owning a Tesla is like. My number one line now is Cars are great if you get lucky, if you don't customer service/support is terrible stay well away from them, don't fall for the car.

I was a massively fanboy before owning one, I honestly now regret deep down ever getting one, if they want Beta tester for the cars that's fine I'll be one, but when I report issues to them they damn sure should fix them.

This is my 4th (5th?) SC appointment and each time it's getting worse and worse. Shame.

EDIT: I'm also going to start recording all my SC/Issues going forward. Should make a good little documentary

Reactions: InternetDude
I'm sure I read somewhere recently that Musk himself admitted the paint shop in Fremont was inconsistent and that the German paint shop would be the best in the world. No consolation I realise but it does seem to show they are capable of admitting their mistakes at times.

I'm sure I read somewhere recently that Musk himself admitted the paint shop in Fremont was inconsistent and that the German paint shop would be the best in the world. No consolation I realise but it does seem to show they are capable of admitting their mistakes at times.
You are correct the video was linked in this thread or another one. However I did read someone else post saying they mentioned the video to SC but they still didn't seem to care, they seem to think stone chips can cause an entire side of paint to peel away. Basically it's just the "It's not my problem" attitude of Tesla unfortunately. Soon enough to shift the cares but aftercare seems to be an after thought!

It’s unforgivable really. CEO admits, on camera, to paint process issues - including giving the detail as to why (not enough time for paint to cure). Then owners start to have serious paint degradation within weeks or a few short months of delivery, often in cars with very low mileage, and the knee jerk reaction is to stone-wall and admit nothing. If they fncked up then for goodness sake, don’t leave it to the customers to suffer.

Reactions: Irata
I hope this gets resolved for you.
I dropped my car in to the SC last week for other issues and flagged the paint damage around the wheel arches on my 2021 M3LR (collected in December). The stone chips weren’t as bad as in some of the photos in this thread but they were worse than I’ve ever seen on a car with 1,000 miles on it.
Car was taken in and the effected areas were repainted without question.
It’s definitely worth keeping pressure on Tesla.
Annoyingly I flagged that this issue might be a result of the mudflaps which should have been fitted not having been fitted. I’ve requested them several times now and they remain on back order. When I asked the Tesla guy today whether the new paint might be susceptible to more stone chips without the mud flaps he shrugged and said he hoped not.

I'm still waiting for mudflaps to be fitted - on back order too. So far the paint has remained intact on my late Dec "2021" Fremont car, but I'm a bit concerned about it now! I have noticed a couple of small stone chips on the front bumper, but they look like normal stone chips rather than flaking paint patches. My car had a few minor panel fit issues on delivery, now partially resolved, but I'm starting to think I got away very lightly after reading this thread!

When I was in last week, Edinburgh said they were getting a paint shop installed. No idea how far off it is, but interesting that they think it's needed. Might be easier to get repairs done too of they dont need to ship cars through to Glasgow.

When I was in last week, Edinburgh said they were getting a paint shop installed. No idea how far off it is, but interesting that they think it's needed. Might be easier to get repairs done too of they dont need to ship cars through to Glasgow.
It's all about integration. They've taken this approach in the US too with in-house bodyshops. Makes sense to me if there are enough cars out there to make it a viable business.

Strange that there was no followup from the OP in this thread. @Danno_ has only made that single post and then appears to have disappeared. Hmm ....
There is actually a deleted (by another moderator) follow up post from the user further into the time line that others cannot see. But still a while since they posted. It could be that they got the info they were asking about from another thread that was recommended early on in the thread.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado
I can update on mine, not that it's much of an update as I have another on going issue along side the paint.

I was due to have it booked in on 12th for Charging Port failure and paint flaking/chips, this never took place as I got a text on 11th. I got a text saying there was a delay on the part and would need to reschedule for 25th. This was all meant to originally be done on 5th March and this was my 2nd reschedule now.

The last text I got about the paint was "The Images you supplied will be assessed and we shall contact you further once the investigation has been completed and we can advise on the next steps to have your issues resolved at out local approved Tesla Body Repairer."

When I questioned the "chips/flaking" around 9th March when I took it in for charging issues to the SC in Stockport, the guy who I spoke to told me "Looks like Stone Chips to me". Let's just say at 1700 Miles and <3 months old wasn't what I wanted to hear, especially after the CEO admitting the paint being *sugar*.

I dropped car of at SC on 11th and it's been sat there since as it's stuck on 9% and won't charge. I've been given a Loan Car from Enterprise and told "we will get you a Tesla Loaner ASAP so you aren't stuck with something else". Honestly, the enterprise car is cleaner and newer than the grubby Model S I got last time. Yes it's an ICE and nothing like my M3 but holy hell I dread what they are going to give me :(

Once I have an update on the paint situation I'll chuck a reply on here.

My December delivery M3 went in for boot alignment and respray where the misalignment had rubbed it off. Also had a small crease in the front wing that needed work and respray. All good I thought but when I got it back I noticed the flaking paint on the cill that others have seen. Still waiting to hear what the SC will do about that. I had the whole car ceramic coated shortly after taking possession and now with all these resprays that's pretty much a waste of money and will need to be redone in place. I don't suppose there's any chance of getting compensated for that is there?

My December delivery M3 went in for boot alignment and respray where the misalignment had rubbed it off. Also had a small crease in the front wing that needed work and respray. All good I thought but when I got it back I noticed the flaking paint on the cill that others have seen. Still waiting to hear what the SC will do about that. I had the whole car ceramic coated shortly after taking possession and now with all these resprays that's pretty much a waste of money and will need to be redone in place. I don't suppose there's any chance of getting compensated for that is there?
I think yo know the answer to the question in your last sentence :)