Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flame retardants used in seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When Tesla replaced their leather seat covers with polyurethane, I wondered whether the polyurethane was treated with flame retardants, since they are more flammable than leather. As a government web site (Flame Retardants) states, there are substantial toxicity concerns associated with "halogenated" flame retardants—those containing either chlorine ("chlorinated", e.g. "chlorinated tris") or bromine ("brominated"). California passed passed legislation a few years ago that stopped requiring use of these chemicals because of serious health concerns. I have tried to limit my exposure to such chemicals and purchase only furniture which does not contains such chemicals.

I called Tesla a couple of months ago to enquire whether Tesla was using halogenated flame retardants in their seating materials. They kept stalling without an answer for over a month. Finally, I was told, "They are skeptical to answer and now require our legal team to be involved. Do you want to proceed?"

I was taken aback by this, and wondered why Tesla won't just answer, but stated that I did want to continue. However, I am still not receiving any response to my inquiry, even after I indicated that lack on a response would prompt me to turn to social media. This despite the fact that California Proposition 65 (Proposition 65 in Plain Language) requires Tesla to disclose if they are using such chemicals. Unfortunately, the law only requires them to disclose this to residents of California, and I am not a California resident.

Is there a California resident who can press Tesla to disclose this information for everyone else?