Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flapping noise / aftermarket air suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last night coming home from Target, I noticed a flapping noise from the right passenger rear of the car. So I thought I ran over a piece of paper or perhaps a water bottle. I stuck my phone into the wheel well and looked underneath the car, but I couldn’t find anything associated with the noise. I’ve read many threads here that it could have something to do with the axel nut or spline.

Has anyone here had this problem before with modified suspensions (air suspensions)? Did you take it to the service center? Or should I call first and let them know I have modified the suspension and see if they would help? Or calling them and letting them know about the modified suspension is a bad thing and will end up negating my warranty? I also have aftermarket wheels on the car, but I would change it back to the OEM wheels before taking it into SC.

It is a 2022 Model 3 SR+ (RWD) with about 5900 miles. Barely used. Bought last year DEC 2021

My guess is that Tesla Service will not even look at the car if they know it has a modified suspension. If not told about the mod beforehand, then as soon as they lay eyes on it, they'll probably say it's your problem. Aftermarket wheels shouldn't be a problem unless they are of a size / offset which could cause an issue.

Reactions: afadeev
You should probably take it to the place that put on your air suspension. Tesla is not going to help you with anything suspension related at all with a modified suspension (unless they operate different on Hawaii due to the somewhat "captured" nature of the clientele).

I have no idea, myself. air suspensions etc isnt my thing. Perhaps check with some people from this thread?

I also think member @P3D-R might be knowledgeable about this topic, and has been extremely helpful to people here in the past. Im tagging them here to notify them. Not sure if they have any input, etc, but I think they are knowledgeable in this area and have been really helpful with people about suspension issues in the past.

I have no idea, myself. air suspensions etc isnt my thing. Perhaps check with some people from this thread?

I also think member @P3D-R might be knowledgeable about this topic, and has been extremely helpful to people here in the past. Im tagging them here to notify them. Not sure if they have any input, etc, but I think they are knowledgeable in this area and have been really helpful with people about suspension issues in the past.
Appreciate the help! What a great timing for this problem to show up smh. This got me stressed out entering the new year. Hoping it’s more of an easy fix. Not even sure at this point if it’s safe to drive. But it is so loud, it catches people’s attention.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Appreciate the help! What a great timing for this problem to show up smh. This got me stressed out entering the new year. Hoping it’s more of an easy fix. Not even sure at this point if it’s safe to drive. But it is so loud, it catches people’s attention.
Definitely take it back to the shop. If the situation aligns with their install then you should go back to them. What air suspension did you get?

Definitely take it back to the shop. If the situation aligns with their install then you should go back to them. What air suspension did you get?
I took it back to the shop on Tuesday. I was on shinigami struts. They believe it had something to do with the cv axle or half shaft because they have checked everything, including any bolts or nuts being loose, and part of it was sticking out about half an inch. Unfortunately, they couldn’t locate the problem after two days, and I decided it wasn’t worth the headache, so I ended up going back to stock.

I took it back to the shop on Tuesday. I was on shinigami struts. They believe it had something to do with the cv axle or half shaft because they have checked everything, including any bolts or nuts being loose, and part of it was sticking out about half an inch. Unfortunately, they couldn’t locate the problem after two days, and I decided it wasn’t worth the headache, so I ended up going back to stock.
oh wow sorry to hear about that. Did the noise go away after switching back to stock?