Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flash drive for Tesla dash cam/sentry mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that sentry mode with multiple cameras are functional what are owners using for flash drives? I have a 32GB Sandisk that works and was IMO fine for the single camera but decided to purchase a 256GB to accommodate the added data from the additional cameras. I purchased a Samsung USB 3.1 Bar Plus Flash Dirve and formatted it the same as the 32GB drive, namely (MOS-dot) FAT. Problem is that my X, running AP 2.5+, 2019 12.1.1, will not recognize the Samsung stick. It does recognize and records using the Sandisk.

Any idea what the problem is? Is there a storage limit on what the Tesla will recognize? I did pull the Samsung, erase and reformat again but still no recognition. Thank you

What software did you use to format the flash drive to FAT32? Windows format does not support FAT32 drives greater than 32GB, so you have to use a separate tool to format drives that large. And be sure to then create the TeslaCam folder after formatting.
Here's some useful instructions for the tool I used (seems to be the most commonly used one):
How to Format USB Drives Larger Than 32GB With FAT32 on Windows

• Helpful
Reactions: KerryOH
What software did you use to format the flash drive to FAT32? Windows format does not support FAT32 drives greater than 32GB, so you have to use a separate tool to format drives that large. And be sure to then create the TeslaCam folder after formatting.
Here's some useful instructions for the tool I used (seems to be the most commonly used one):
How to Format USB Drives Larger Than 32GB With FAT32 on Windows
I used the an iMac disc utility. MS-Dos (FAT32). I shall check your link above. Thanks

Pardon my ignorance, but I did not find the key to formatting the 256 G stick for use in the Tesla. Thanks

You really don't need very much storage. The actual files are really quite small, roughly 30 MB/minute, less than 2GB/hour. After 1 hour, the files are rotated off the drive. I use a 32 GB stick, partitioned into 8 GB for media, and 24 GB for DashCam. I've never had less then 20GB available.

You really don't need very much storage. The actual files are really quite small, roughly 30 MB/minute, less than 2GB/hour. After 1 hour, the files are rotated off the drive. I use a 32 GB stick, partitioned into 8 GB for media, and 24 GB for DashCam. I've never had less then 20GB available.
In other words, I’ve over reacted. Do you mean that “after one hour, the files are rotated off the disc” is an automatic operation?

Thanks

Reactions: DCGOO
Not an over reaction at all. While it’s true teslacam is on a loop, sentry mode is not, for now.

Try rmusbprep to format your disk. I’ve had success with multiple drives. Also highly recommend getting something that your iPhone / Android can read. If you use sentry regularly, even 256gb will fill up faster than you like.

In other words, I’ve over reacted. Do you mean that “after one hour, the files are rotated off the disc” is an automatic operation?
Thanks

Yes. it only keeps a rolling hour. If you tap the icon, it keeps the previous 10 minutes as saved files. Now I suppose Tesla might change that in the future, but at the present time you don’t really need much more than 8 GB. Even my 24 is way overkill.

Not an over reaction at all. While it’s true teslacam is on a loop, sentry mode is not, for now.

Try rmusbprep to format your disk. I’ve had success with multiple drives. Also highly recommend getting something that your iPhone / Android can read. If you use sentry regularly, even 256gb will fill up faster than you like.
Thank you, I did not realize how separate the systems are. For now as you say. I will look into your suggestion.