TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Flashdrive listening

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by LindaK, Jul 3, 2016.

1. LindaK

LindaK Member

Is there a way to stop the car from reading through the music in a folder on my flash drive while the car is not being driven. I have tried using the pause feature from the steering wheel, but even then about 50% of the time I come back to the car and ht has scrolled happily through (sometimes) hours of my music. Yes, it's intermittent. :(

I apologize if this has been addressed before, but I was unable to find it.

2. LindaK

LindaK Member

Anybody??

3. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

This bug has been around for months. Hopefully they fix it sometime soon.

4. LindaK

LindaK Member

thanks...I hope so too!

5. MichaelS

MichaelS Member

This bug has actually been around for years. This bug plus the bug that turns on the music when the car has sat all night and has gone into deep sleep are the two of most annoying aspects of the poor software engineering from Tesla. Many people have complained long and loud about this and Tesla refuses or is unable to fix it. And don't get me started on the crappy 7.1 user interface.

6. Frankman60

Frankman60 Member

Is the music audible when the MS is playing it while the car is parked and unoccupied?

7. MichaelS

MichaelS Member

No, the music is not audible. This bug occurs on both Slacker and with music on the USB drive. Slacker will continuously play, as evidenced by a different song being played when the car powers up again. The USB will play through all songs, then start playing the very last song in the album over and over again every time the car powers up from a deep sleep. This only happens when the car sits for a couple hours and the instrument cluster shuts down and goes to sleep.

8. bob_p

bob_p Member

The "improvement" with the 7.x release (or possibly with the last 6.x release) was redefining what "off" meant for sleep mode.

When Tesla first introduced sleep mode in 2013 - they had multiple problems with the software state not being restored properly when resuming from sleep. These problems could be avoided by setting sleep mode to "off".

But with the current software (since 6.2?), they redefined "off" to mean - "off, except overnight". All cars will now go into sleep mode overnight, and there isn't any way to turn that off. So that means there is no easy workaround to the USB/media player problems - unless you manually select a different audio source before the car enters sleep mode each night.

They need to fix the long standing audio bugs - plus add the long missing features present in many other systems (like playlists) - and get the album art correct (at least almost all of the time).

And, they need to give drivers back complete control over the use of sleep mode. The driver should specify when sleep mode is used. For us, the only time we want to use it is when we are parking overnight for an extended period (at an airport) or we are on a road trip, and want to conserve energy between chargers. They should make "off" really mean "off - sleep mode disabled", and if there is interest for an "off, except overnight" - they should add that option and let the drivers decide...

9. Boatguy

Boatguy Member

The work around is to switch to radio or Slacker when you leave the car. Not good, but should work.

10. slindell

slindell Model S Sig #353

I have had my Model S Sig for almost four years, keep a flashdrive in the USB slot all the time, and this "bug" has never happened to me.

I wonder what the variables are.

11. RichardL

RichardL Member

Me neither - it is my main source of music and I have never encountered this problem.

12. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

From what I can tell, the extra playing only happens when it's charging. At work all day it stays at the same place. So I guess what happens is that the car wakes up when charging at that causes the music to play. Originally it didn't do it, but after 6.x it has vacillates between playing and not playing depending upon the release (mostly it plays).

13. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

My car will advance / play music while just sitting in my parking spot (no charging there).

14. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

Stick the current song in repeat.

15. jerry33

That may work for music but not for audiobooks.

16. jerry33

Interesting. Mine stays on the same song when parked at work (no charging). It also stays on the same song when plugged in and the charging timer is set. I do notice that it starts at the beginning of the song when I get back in.

17. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

I'm really frustrated about this bug too. i have along list of songs I listen to and every time I get in the car I have to dig through it and find the song where I left off (I have a 1 TB drive hooked up to my car).

To make things worse, periodically It won't recognize the drive when it wakes back up. I have to unplug the drive for about a minute, then plug it back in and wait for it to reindex before I can use it again.

This didn't use to happen on older software versions (same drive).

Given the rumors that 8.0 may have a completely reworked media app, I'm hoping that will fix it.

18. iffatall

iffatall Member

I think it has to do with deep sleep. If your settings don't allow the car to go to deep sleep, you may not see the issue.

Basically, the car likes to listen to music in deep sleep :).

Also, Tesla does not really "refuse" to fix this. I have got an email from them acknowledging that this is an issue known to them, and it will be fixed in a future release. As to when that future release would arrive is anybody's guess. As we all know, they are not good at estimating timelines.

19. iffatall

iffatall Member

Me:
    Tesla NA:
    Me:
    Tesla NA:
    Me:
    Tesla NA:
    This conversation was on 26 February 2016.

20. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

Ugh, that is so frustrating when I leave an audio book in the evening only to have it be somewhere not where I left it come morning .