Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flashdrive listening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a way to stop the car from reading through the music in a folder on my flash drive while the car is not being driven. I have tried using the pause feature from the steering wheel, but even then about 50% of the time I come back to the car and ht has scrolled happily through (sometimes) hours of my music. Yes, it's intermittent. :(

I apologize if this has been addressed before, but I was unable to find it.

This bug has actually been around for years. This bug plus the bug that turns on the music when the car has sat all night and has gone into deep sleep are the two of most annoying aspects of the poor software engineering from Tesla. Many people have complained long and loud about this and Tesla refuses or is unable to fix it. And don't get me started on the crappy 7.1 user interface.

This bug has actually been around for years. This bug plus the bug that turns on the music when the car has sat all night and has gone into deep sleep are the two of most annoying aspects of the poor software engineering from Tesla. Many people have complained long and loud about this and Tesla refuses or is unable to fix it. And don't get me started on the crappy 7.1 user interface.

Is the music audible when the MS is playing it while the car is parked and unoccupied?

No, the music is not audible. This bug occurs on both Slacker and with music on the USB drive. Slacker will continuously play, as evidenced by a different song being played when the car powers up again. The USB will play through all songs, then start playing the very last song in the album over and over again every time the car powers up from a deep sleep. This only happens when the car sits for a couple hours and the instrument cluster shuts down and goes to sleep.

Is the music audible when the MS is playing it while the car is parked and unoccupied?

The "improvement" with the 7.x release (or possibly with the last 6.x release) was redefining what "off" meant for sleep mode.

When Tesla first introduced sleep mode in 2013 - they had multiple problems with the software state not being restored properly when resuming from sleep. These problems could be avoided by setting sleep mode to "off".

But with the current software (since 6.2?), they redefined "off" to mean - "off, except overnight". All cars will now go into sleep mode overnight, and there isn't any way to turn that off. So that means there is no easy workaround to the USB/media player problems - unless you manually select a different audio source before the car enters sleep mode each night.

They need to fix the long standing audio bugs - plus add the long missing features present in many other systems (like playlists) - and get the album art correct (at least almost all of the time).

And, they need to give drivers back complete control over the use of sleep mode. The driver should specify when sleep mode is used. For us, the only time we want to use it is when we are parking overnight for an extended period (at an airport) or we are on a road trip, and want to conserve energy between chargers. They should make "off" really mean "off - sleep mode disabled", and if there is interest for an "off, except overnight" - they should add that option and let the drivers decide...

From what I can tell, the extra playing only happens when it's charging. At work all day it stays at the same place. So I guess what happens is that the car wakes up when charging at that causes the music to play. Originally it didn't do it, but after 6.x it has vacillates between playing and not playing depending upon the release (mostly it plays).

My car will advance / play music while just sitting in my parking spot (no charging there).
Interesting. Mine stays on the same song when parked at work (no charging). It also stays on the same song when plugged in and the charging timer is set. I do notice that it starts at the beginning of the song when I get back in.

I'm really frustrated about this bug too. i have along list of songs I listen to and every time I get in the car I have to dig through it and find the song where I left off (I have a 1 TB drive hooked up to my car).

To make things worse, periodically It won't recognize the drive when it wakes back up. I have to unplug the drive for about a minute, then plug it back in and wait for it to reindex before I can use it again.

This didn't use to happen on older software versions (same drive).

Given the rumors that 8.0 may have a completely reworked media app, I'm hoping that will fix it.

I think it has to do with deep sleep. If your settings don't allow the car to go to deep sleep, you may not see the issue.

Basically, the car likes to listen to music in deep sleep :).

Also, Tesla does not really "refuse" to fix this. I have got an email from them acknowledging that this is an issue known to them, and it will be fixed in a future release. As to when that future release would arrive is anybody's guess. As we all know, they are not good at estimating timelines.

Me:
Overnight Phantom Music Playback

Observed defect/behavior:
  • At the end of the day, I pause (local USB) media playback, park the car in my garage. When I come back to the car next morning, media player appears to have continued playback overnight all the way to the end of the album/playlist.
    Playback automatically resumed when I open the door in the morning, with the last song/track on the album/playlist.
  • If internet/FM/AM radio was playing the evening before instead, and the media player was muted before parking overnight, playback automatically unmutes when the door is opened next morning.
Car is set to sleep overnight. Repeat playback setting is off.

Expected behavior:
  • When playing local media on media player, if playback is left paused overnight, it should remain paused at the same spot within the song/track in the album/playlist until it is unpaused manually even if the car has been through an overnight sleep.
    When playing local media on media player, if playback is not manually paused before the driver and the passengers leave the car, then it should resume when a door is next opened, from the exact same spot it was interrupted last when all passengers left before.
    Loss of the playback spot is only acceptable if the car was rebooted, or if the USB stick was removed.
  • When playing internet/FM/AM radio, if playback was left muted overnight, it should remain muted until it is unmuted manually even if the car goes through overnight sleep.
    Internet/FM/AM radio playback radio should automatically resume when a door of an empty car is opened only if the particular radio station was not muted before the driver and all passengers exited the car last.

Tesla NA:
Thank you for reaching out to Tesla Motors Technical Support with your feedback.
Do you have a USB device plugged into the USB port, per chance? Sometimes I have noticed this will interfere with playback memory and Play/Pause upon exit and re-entry.
If so, try removing the device, and please let us know if the issue recurs. If not, I will put a note in.

Me:
Yes, indeed USB media playback is what I am talking about. Playback of media from USB, even though paused before exiting, appears to go ahead overnight all the way to the end of the playlist or album. When I come back in the morning, playback is on the last song/track of the playlist, and automatically resumes when the door is opened.

Tesla NA:
Thank you for clarifying. Yes, lost playback position from USB media is a known issue. A future firmware update is planned to mitigate this problem.

Me:
By the way, in my original feedback, I also mentioned radio (internet/FM/AM). Even if I leave the radio muted before I exit at the end of the day, opening the door next morning automatically resumes the radio. This was not the case before. Muted radio remained muted until it was manually unmuted eventually, or when a different radio station was selected. I am not sure when this bug crept in, but it probably happened the same time as USB media started losing playback position. Is this also a known issue? It could be the same bug in software that is causing both issues though.

Tesla NA:
Thank you for following up with the FM Mute issue. This also is an issue that we are aware of and are currently working on a resolution. Unfortunately we don’t have an ETA of when update will be available. I have created a concern to track this issue for you.

This conversation was on 26 February 2016.