TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Flashing HighBeam by accident when trying to start autopilot

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Rborhani, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Rborhani

Rborhani Member

Does anyone else flash their HighBeam, frequently, by accident when trying to engage the autopilot? The location of the autopilot lever, directly bellow the HighBeam lever, is, I think, annoying.

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 1
  2. richrootes

richrootes Member

No, the Autopilot lever is much smaller making the two easy to distinguish

3. croman

croman Active Member

No, sorry, the stalks look and feel different. One is stubby (AP), the other full length and positioned opposite to the gear selector for AP Model S vehicles (non-AP have the gear selector and lights stalks switched but I've never encountered that config).

I've had other issues but not that one due to the look and feel differences. If you use auto-brights, I think you can avoid this problem.

4. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure This All Out

In my experience it's easy to tell if you grab one and then the other, but if you put your hand in place quickly from position memory, you will occasionally be interfacing with the wrong stalk.

5. SSonnentag

SSonnentag Supporting Member

It's been a couple of months since I flashed someone instead of activating AP. So I guess it took me 4 months to learn which lever to instinctually grab.

6. araxara

araxara S-P85#3,218 X-90D#3,299

This happens to me occasionally on my Model X, but it's only due to the fact that my 2012 Model S has the cruise control and turn stalk reversed from the Model X.

7. thefortunes

thefortunes Member

Pics or it didn't happen ;)

• Funny x 3
  8. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

No one wants to see that...

9. Carl

Carl Supporting Member

The levers (the same ones Mercedes uses) are now in the same position as they always have been in a Mercedes (i.e. AP/TACC lever below lights lever). From 2012 to 2015, Tesla mounted them "the other way round". Anyone having traded in a 2013 MS for a 2016 MS undoubtedly had a few weeks where other drivers would think they were aggressive macho's (whereas they were only trying to engage TACC :))

10. BillFres

BillFres Member

MY main problem is getting into my wife's BMW and turning on the windshield wipers when I want to shift into reverse....
    Bill

• Funny x 2
  11. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Yep. My 2013 S that I traded in on my 2018 X are opposite. You know what? I thought it was weird when I bought my S but got used to it and think I actually prefer the turn signal stalk lower like it was on the earlier cars.

12. ASUComputerGuy

ASUComputerGuy Supporting Member

That's okay, I think I have you all beat: I accidentally tried to put the car in Park while on AP going 70 mph. It was my first road trip with my, then, new Tesla and I was trying to change lanes to the left. AP and TACC both disengaged, but no other harm came from it. I would not suggest trying it, despite nothing bad happening. I felt like a dotard. :rolleyes:

13. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I was actually quite worried about that when I first got my 2013 S because the shifter stalk was in the exact same place as the windshield wiper stalk was on my last car, and you pressed the end of that stalk to give the washers a little squirt which I have to do regularly in the wintertime on salt covered roads. It turns out I never had that problem.

14. Black/Black MS

Today I turned on my windshield wipers trying to adjust the follow range...not for the first time.

15. MS_Dream

MS_Dream Member

It took several months for me to get used to this Mercedes E-Class setup. Sometimes I still have to correct myself before actually pulling the levers.

16. J__T

J__T Member

Happens to me sometimes when I get my Model X back from service after driving Tesla’s Enterprise rental for a few days!

17. Tdriver

Tdriver Member

Are we supposed to use AP only on well marked divided highways? if so, why is this an issue worth talking about.

18. BerTX

BerTX Supporting Member

I have done it. I just wave at the driver I flashed.

Worse, and much more dangerous, are the times I have Resumed TACC (often set to 75 mph) when I intended to use the turn signal going into a parking lot entrance.. Very terrifying in my MS75D, I can't imagine it in a P100D.

19. .jg.

.jg. Member

I sometimes flash, instead of activating TACC or indicate left or right, instead of adjusting the speed. However, my biggest problem of late has been when I travel abroad on business and use rental cars: I keep walking away from rental cars with the keys in the ignition and the doors unlocked.

• Funny x 1
  20. Rborhani

Rborhani Member

But it makes you look like a DB when you flash the car in front of you for no reason.

• Like x 1